IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Hi guys,

New here. I don't have an updated DSD, but I do have a brand-new DAC-2v2 with the 9028. Fabulous machine. Still amazed on the sound improvement I've got.

Regards,

Excellent! What did have before?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Excellent! What did have before?

A Rega DAC. Very much DAC for a serious low prize. Rather analogue sounding (which is typically Rega) that I liked a lot. But it did not have a async USB and it can't handle DSD.

Eventually took the W4S without hearing it. So that was a big risk ;-)

But I have to say it is worth it. Combined with the latest upsampling feature in Roon I'm still amazed on how good original CD's can sound with the W4S.

A Rega DAC. Very much DAC for a serious low prize. Rather analogue sounding (which is typically Rega) that I liked a lot. But it did not have a async USB and it can't handle DSD.

Eventually took the W4S without hearing it. So that was a big risk ;-)

But I have to say it is worth it. Combined with the latest upsampling feature in Roon I'm still amazed on how good original CD's can sound with the W4S.

Never heard the Rega, but a good report on v2. Thanks!

It's going to be very interesting to hear comparisons on the upgrades. Since nothing else changes, we'll see exactly what only the chip does especially with the 9028 as it's a drop in replacement I believe. I assume the 9038 requires a new board as it's not pin compatible iirc.

In any case, kudos to W4S for offering the upgrades.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Anyone hear about when their upgrade will be returned? As of Monday I heard the 9038 chips are "arriving any day", moved up from March. Or anyone get their 9028 back yet?

Got an email yesterday from Tony saying they're expecting the 9038 any day now and mine is in the queue for the upgrade.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

Lets hope they implement DSD512 with the 9038 version. They could have done DSD256 "officially" with the previous gen DAC-2 DSDse.

I would be careful. Yesterday I got an answer from W4S stating that native DSD (as in: provide an altset from the DAC) is 'not ready' and 'requires a feature update'.

Heavily disappointed by W4S. Because this means I can't play DSD256, because DSD256 using DoP requires 704 Mhz, which the DAC-2v2 not supports.

Totally not understanding this, as the 'old' SE could do native DSD. :-(

I would be careful. Yesterday I got an answer from W4S stating that native DSD (as in: provide an altset from the DAC) is 'not ready' and 'requires a feature update'.

Heavily disappointed by W4S. Because this means I can't play DSD256, because DSD256 using DoP requires 704 Mhz, which the DAC-2v2 not supports.

Totally not understanding this, as the 'old' SE could do native DSD. :-(

Looks like the 'old' DAC-2 DSDse will do DSD 512 just need some more horsepwer to run it without stuttering.

Looks like the 'old' DAC-2 DSDse will do DSD 512 just need some more horsepwer to run it without stuttering.

In case of DSD512 the 'old' Dac-2 DSDse has hiss noise on the right channel. Not enough clock frequency to 'drive'. Need 98 MHz for best results vs 24 MHz in stock.

That is a shame. Reports earlier in this thread it can do DSD256. Need to install an Nvidia GPU to run hqplayer at 256 to find out.

You misunderstood me, I mean internal clock frequency of Dac-2 DSDse, not CPU or GPU horsepower. DSD512 was done by offline upsampling (AuI ConverteR 48x44).

You misunderstood me, I mean internal clock frequency of Dac-2 DSDse, not CPU or GPU horsepower. DSD512 was done by offline upsampling (AuI ConverteR 48x44).

I meant in order to test the dac@dsd256. I will try first using foobar as a test, which doesnt require as much cpu load to run dsd256. If that plays cleanly then install a gpu so hqplayer can run properly at dsd256. Currently the cpu use is too high with a core i5 to tell if the dac cant handle the rate or the pc is not powerful enough.

I should be getting my upgraded DAC v2 DSD SE with the ES9038PRO today. I saw in the manual on their website that the 8 filters available on the 9038 are user configurable. It also looks like the 9038 has a couple new features like adjustable jitter eliminator and dim delay.

Mine goes out for the ES9038PRO tomorrow, I CAN"T WAIT FOR YOUR REPORT!

Bob

Mines at Wyred for upgrade. They emailed me today with a heads up there was no Femto clock! Bought this on eBay a few months back. Stated it did have the Femto. So much for my ears!hopefully mine will be going out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Mines at Wyred for upgrade. They emailed me today with a heads up there was no Femto clock! Bought this on eBay a few months back. Stated it did have the Femto. So much for my ears!hopefully mine will be going out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Should be all the more better then when you get it back!

jrsub, report please!

Bob

Received my upgraded DAC2 DSDse yesterday with the 9038Pro chip. Having an issue with DSD file playback. Will report back on everything soon.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

Received my upgraded DAC2 DSDse yesterday with the 9038Pro chip. Having an issue with DSD file playback. Will report back on everything soon.

I thought I had an issue as well with DSD files where I would get a 2 -3 second wooshing sound of noise usually at the start of the song and then intermittently throughout with occasional skips. It turns out the jitter eliminator setting was set to one asterisk. It needed to be set to 3 asterisks to avoid the noise. I tried 2 asterisks but still had occasional issues with DSD.

I am letting in burn in for a day or so before I do any serious listening.

I thought I had an issue as well with DSD files where I would get a 2 -3 second wooshing sound of noise usually at the start of the song and then intermittently throughout with occasional skips. It turns out the jitter eliminator setting was set to one asterisk. It needed to be set to 3 asterisks to avoid the noise. I tried 2 asterisks but still had occasional issues with DSD.

I am letting in burn in for a day or so before I do any serious listening.

Hopefully that is Boldlygo's problem as well, seems to make sense reading the description in the manual. It would be nice if you describe your system when you do your review perhaps to see what kind of system corresponds to where to set the jitter reduction? i.e. do Regens or Recovery's help with this setting?

On my way to FedEx now.

Looking forward to both your reports ASAP, thanks for being the guinea pigs!

Bob

Hi all,

First, we wish to thank those who were among the first to upgrade. We're excited about these new chips and all they bring to the table. Be sure to put some time on your new DACs as they will need some burn in time to sound their best. Also, you will note that there are a few new menu settings, particularly Filters. These can make a sonic difference so worth experimenting with. In general the 'slow' filters will be more slanted for acoustical/vocal tracks, whereas 'fast' will be more 'all-rounders'. Depending on the rest of your system and preferences, YMMV, and in our experience, they can be subtle.

To address some issues that have been brought up here recently, upgraded DACs will be delivered with default factory settings for the setup menu. If you previously made any custom settings to your DAC, you will need to go into the setup menu to reconfigure it with those settings. Regarding the setup menu, you will notice a few new things: the aforementioned Filters, and also Jitter Eliminator and Dim Delay. The latter two are unique to the 2v2SE. Jitter Eliminator is essentially a control over the digital signal tracking. The lower one sets this option, the narrower the tracking window. While lower may result in better sound, it could also result in more drop outs or other unintended behavior. If you are having some issues with track lock or other anomalies, try bumping this setting up. Dim Delay is meant to provide optimum sound, reduce internal heat and preserve the OLED display on your new DAC by turning off the display after a set period of time. You can set it for up to 240 seconds. You can always wake up the display by pressing the Power button on the front of the DAC or pushing the Dim button on the remote. Please read through the new manual for more information on your new DAC.

There has been some confusion regarding DSD playback compatibility. The USB interface has not changed on the 2v2 series from before. Thus, it will play PCM files up to 32 bit/384 kHz and up to DSD 256, the latter natively using ASIO drivers.

We're always here to help and support if needed. Please email us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Tony

So Tony, to be clear, it is the firmware update to the old usb interface that will finally permit DSD256 on Linux (MicroRendu)?

Bob

I've tried all the Jitter settings to no avail. Tony and I have been in contact via email and they are working on my issue. Flac files sound great!

Sorry to hear about your issue, I am sure W4S will get you fixed up in no time. With minimal burn-in time my upgraded DAC-2v2 SE is sounding incredible and working perfectly with FLAC as well as DSD using the default 3 asterisks Jitter eliminator setting. My initial thoughts are what I expected in that I am hearing a cleaner, more detailed sound with a more dynamic presentation. My experience with Wyred DACs is that they do require considerable break in, I look forward to even better sound as it settles in.

I received an email this morning that W4S is keeping my DAC upgrade until they have some answers about the 9038 issues. Good-news-bad-news. Meanwhile I'll listen to the car radio for music!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain