IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

W4S is an excellent and forward thinking company, so if it reasonably can be done I'm confident they'll offer it with the ES9038PRO. It seems that the chip itself is in relatively short supply, significantly more expensive than the other versions, and requires different and more complex supporting circuitry to implement.

With the price of the ESS9028PRO V2 DSD SE version already at $3499, I suspect the ESS9038PRO version would have a lot of people looking at alternatives due to price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the upgrade from my DAC2DSDse to the new DAC-2v2 SE model - $599 USD. They're saying could be March before the new ESS9028Pro chip is available though.

I'm also running their Recovery module in-line. Wonder if I'll still need it after the upgrade?

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

Just ordered the upgrade from my DAC2DSDse to the new DAC-2v2 SE model - $599 USD. They're saying could be March before the new ESS9028Pro chip is available though.

I'm also running their Recovery module in-line. Wonder if I'll still need it after the upgrade?

I ordered the same this past weekend. I also inquired about the 9038PRO upgrade and they still plan to offer it. They just need to get their hands on the 9038PRO chip and figure out how to implement (different pins than 9028PRO). Depending on how soon that happens I may switch my order.

Here's a note from Tony at Wyred4Sound:

The upgrade does not affect the clock, so Recovery will still be a big benefit. I believe the Recovery will always be beneficial.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

Man I owe you guys a debt of gratitude. I too did the upgrade for my DAC2DSDse to v2 and "thought" it was the 9038 chip I was getting with the upgrade based on early info from W4S. I was leaving for FedEx in about an hour from reading your posts to ship it off, called Wyred to upgrade to the 9038 and pay them the difference. Now to wait until late next month (no worries if it's later) and I'll send it off. This should be one killer DAC!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Man I owe you guys a debt of gratitude. I too did the upgrade for my DAC2DSDse to v2 and "thought" it was the 9038 chip I was getting with the upgrade based on early info from W4S. I was leaving for FedEx in about an hour from reading your posts to ship it off, called Wyred to upgrade to the 9038 and pay them the difference. Now to wait until late next month (no worries if it's later) and I'll send it off. This should be one killer DAC!

How much additional was it to go with 9038? I've already sent mine in for the 9028 upgrade, but if the difference was reasonable I might consider the 9038. However, some of the the research I've seen is that the main difference in the chips is noise floor which is already extremely good with the 9028 and with the low volume levels I listen at, I'm not sure I would benefit from the 9038.

I am getting the 9038 upgrade to my DAC2 DSDse (when available). Has anybody used the i2s input? Does it play DSD?

Hopefully the 9038 can reach it's full potential in their upgrade. However, I've already been informed AES and digital coax will not play DSD, a very unfortunate W4S design limitation. I'm still holding out hope for i2s playing DSD

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

Franatic,

I used the i2s via OR5. You can search this tread with my userid for more info.

I posted about not getting DSD because of OR5, but I believe that I was able to get it using DOP up to DSD64. The i2s input at the time was superior in SQ and believe it may still be, but with all your USB thingies now days that may be a wash. You can look me up on jPlay site as well - I may have posted more there under the same user id. If you need more info, let me know.

also fyi:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/wyred-4-sound-dac2se-upgrade-revisited-and-findings-best-decision-unequivocally-16266/index36.html#post305485

Thanks edn4x4!

I found this also: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/w4s-dac2-dsdse-direct-stream-digital-over-i2s-28331/#post534199

Seems like it should play DSD up to DSD 128, at least as Dop. I will look to get confirmation directly from W4S on this.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

Thanks edn4x4!

I found this also: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/w4s-dac2-dsdse-direct-stream-digital-over-i2s-28331/#post534199

Seems like it should play DSD up to DSD 128, at least as Dop. I will look to get confirmation directly from W4S on this.

Page 3 second paragraph of the user manual states: The I²S DSD format offers a jitter free solution to transmi?ng digital data from our cu?ng edge USB interface to the Sabre chip. Newly implemented technology and hardware now takes full advantage of this remarkable feature feature. Either DSD64 or DSD128 files can be flawlessly streamed in conjunction with standard PCM files.

Page 3 second paragraph of the user manual states: The I²S DSD format offers a jitter free solution to transmi?ng digital data from our cu?ng edge USB interface to the Sabre chip. Newly implemented technology and hardware now takes full advantage of this remarkable feature feature. Either DSD64 or DSD128 files can be flawlessly streamed in conjunction with standard PCM files.

Of course, the manual! :/ I should have checked there first. Great, that verifies what I need to know. After modification, maybe i2s will do DSD 256 with the 9038 chip.

Of course, the manual! :/ I should have checked there first. Great, that verifies what I need to know. After modification, maybe i2s will do DSD 256 with the 9038 chip.

My SDtrans384 streamed DSD256 to W4S Dac-2DSDse by LVDS via HDMI interface. It is already perfectly working, no need waiting 9038 chip.

My SDtrans384 streamed DSD256 to W4S Dac-2DSDse by LVDS via HDMI interface. It is already perfectly working, no need waiting 9038 chip.

Thanks pm! That is good news. Well I'm getting the 9038 upgrade for sure, already paid for it and I'm waiting for W4S to tell me to send it in. I might be able to borrow a Singxer SU-1 to try the i2s down the line. Nice to know the W4S DAC2 DSDse already does Quad DSD via i2s. :)

My DAC should arrive tomorrow at W4S - I decided too to upgrade to the 9038 Pro for the extra $300. This will save me having to sending it in again in the future. No word on any MQA support though.

My DAC should arrive tomorrow at W4S - I decided too to upgrade to the 9038 Pro for the extra $300. This will save me having to sending it in again in the future. No word on any MQA support though.

Wyred received my DAC last week for the 9028 upgrade, but then I decided to go with the 9038 when it became an option. It will be a couple of additional weeks before they even get the 9038 chips in, but I felt it was worth the wait. Enjoying some old gear I had used years ago while I wait.

Now the W4S site says the 9038 chips are delayed until early March...bummer. I'm sure there is nothing W4S can do about that. I expect EJ has made a concerted effort to maximize the capability of this awesome new chip in an already designed DAC. Big kudos to W4S for creating an upgradable platform for their DACs.

I'm wondering how much better the 9038 is vs the 9028 in the W4S application. However, I'm not waiting for a side by side comparison, so 9038 it is.

Anyone hear about when their upgrade will be returned? As of Monday I heard the 9038 chips are "arriving any day", moved up from March. Or anyone get their 9028 back yet?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Anyone hear about when their upgrade will be returned? As of Monday I heard the 9038 chips are "arriving any day", moved up from March. Or anyone get their 9028 back yet?

Hi guys,

New here. I don't have an updated DSD, but I do have a brand-new DAC-2v2 with the 9028. Fabulous machine. Still amazed on the sound improvement I've got.

Regards,