IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Yes, I recall your thoughts on the matter and appreciate your recommendations for a solution. Given the latest unauthorized (?) revelation about the μRendu, what are your thoughts about the Sonore μRendu when it becomes available as a comprehensive solution that addresses both NAA and Roonspeakers? If you care to comment.

I think it's going to be excellent and many people will likely like it a lot, but that shouldn't prevent you from getting a small PC motherboard or an inexpensive PC laptop to run as NAA and thus enjoy DSD256 with the DAC. As for Roon and Roonspeakers specifically, I don't know much about them, but I do know Miska planned HQ Player and the NAA to be usable in multi-rooms/multi-NAA - the protocol is built for it.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I think it's going to be excellent and many people will likely like it a lot, but that shouldn't prevent you from getting a small PC motherboard or an inexpensive PC laptop to run as NAA and thus enjoy DSD256 with the DAC. As for Roon and Roonspeakers specifically, I don't know much about them, but I do know Miska planned HQ Player and the NAA to be usable in multi-rooms/multi-NAA - the protocol is built for it.

To keep on topic re this thread, I'll PM you, if that is OK with you and respond.

Again, thank you,

Richard

To keep on topic re this thread, I'll PM you, if that is OK with you and respond.

OK

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

was indeed the singular person T. who handles all queries now unless specifically requesting EJ, which I have also done before. He has been with W4S since last year. Call up or email W4S and ask a technical question and likely you will speak to T. Honestly some of the earlier responses from him gave reason for pause to even a newbie like me. And I too have had at least one conversation with EJ, who is a straight shooter and always seems to get it right.

Dear All,

Today at another thread, I read exchange of posts about W4S in connection with oversampling and upsampling and assumptions made by some CA members about W4S's marketing. Reliance on a members assertions who, himself, acknowledged confusion about an exchange he had "a marketing guy" at W4S (not EJ Sarmento) as I believe that was the reference used, did not seem appropriate for W4S marketing. I am not referring to the exchange as I was not privy to that conversation.

I chose not to respond to the posts in that thread. Rather, I chose to email EJ Sarmento and asked him about the validity of the assertions and/or discussions by members in that other thread in connection with W4S and their marketing. EJ Sarmento was not privy to that exchange either. I provided a link to the thread should EJ Sarmento care to peruse those posts. While it would not be the first time someone who EJ delegates to handle matters between customers and W4S and misinformation, it is EJ Sarmento who runs this small company and who designs their products and ultimately sets policy. I know him to be a knowledgeable, fair and honest businessman highly talented whose pursuit of excellence and making things right, I have experienced since 2011 when I became a customer of Wyred 4 Sound.

To offer another perspective from EJ Sarmento, himself, about those subjects, e.g., marketing information about Wyred 4 Sound's Dacs, oversampling, upsampling, I composed this post for that purpose. It's rather brief but pertinent.

For those interested in what EJ Sarmento's comments in response to my email states today, I offer you his reply to me (edited only to remove personal remarks not relevant to the matter at hand).

Thank you for your attention.

Best,

Richard

EJ Sarmento:

Problem is that most of all of this

is one way or another comes from misunderstandings. Upsampling is

essentially one rate to another, oversampling is essentially a

multiplication of the incoming rate. Sure, one can say that if we look at a

given rate 3 times as much as the rate, then in the end that might be

upsampled but there are things you gain from oversampling that you don't

from upsampling.

We have never used this in our marketing terms but I believe that is where

the term upsampling come from. When that was started I believe most

companies oversampled to a given frequency (ie: upsampled to 24/192kHz

regardless of input rate). I believe that the main goal of the oversampling

in the chip (386x) is to reduce/eliminate jitter, and alleviate heavy

filtering on the output of the dac.

A good read on this can be found here.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/upsampling-vs-oversampling-for

-digital-audio

Thanks for the updates Richard. Terminology is a challenging aspect to any technical topic. I always appreciate EJ's patient reply's He can make the unclear very clear in a simple way.

Still loving the DAC2 DSDse. One of my best ever audio purchases now going on two years of enjoyment.

Cheers,

Eric

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

was indeed the singular person T. who handles all queries now unless specifically requesting EJ, which I have also done before. He has been with W4S since last year. Call up or email W4S and ask a technical question and likely you will speak to T. Honestly some of the earlier responses from him gave reason for pause to even a newbie like me. And I too have had at least one conversation with EJ, who is a straight shooter and always seems to get it right.

Hello kilroy,

Thank you for your response. And for your accurate assessment of EJ, who I prefer to confer with rather than "others" on staff. I can appreciate when not talking directly to EJ that others at W4S might not convey the clarity that EJ offers during a conversation or a request for how-to. When the first go-round doesn't sink in with me, and I ask for a further explanation for the sake of clarity, EJ is always patient and willing to sort through my inexperience which helps me understand better how to accomplish an outcome that may be a problem or otherwise.

I, myself, have in the past with former staff of EJ's, been led off course only to have EJ straighten matters out in a thoughtful, caring and considerate approach. He has a easy style about him and cuts through the fog to deal with what is at hand. He's solution oriented. And one can rely on EJ to do the right thing.

For example, when I sent my STP-SE preamp for the Stage 2 upgrade after upgrading my Dac2 to the DSDse (the Femto Clock was the third Dac upgrade and accomplished separately), I asked EJ if he would change the blue VFD display for my preamp to the green OLED display provided with the Dac2 DSDse upgrade. He agreed to implement the change I requested. But, unfortunately, a third party makes the lucite windows for the display and with green OLED, the lucite must be clear and not "tinted" blue. His supplier's machine that mills the lucite clear window broke and a part was needed which came from Japan. Days turned into weeks and the supplier could not seem to get his machine repaired. EJ on his own initiative stopped everything he was engaged in doing, and made me a custom clear lucite display window using a lathe he had at W4S. I have the only STP-SE Stage 2 preamp with a hand-made lucite window fabricated by EJ. That's the kind of man he is.

Thought member users might enjoy this story about my experience which I shared in a post at this thread many pages ago. I was profoundly moved by EJ's sense of what the right thing to do to cure an extended delay not the fault of a customer.

Further explanations about oversampling vs upsampling are appreciated by me, as well, as I have always glazed over when the subject comes up; and I struggle to appreciate the specifics and the differences and how they manifest operationally when using our equipment.

Thank you EJ!

Best,

Richard

Thanks for the updates Richard. Terminology is a challenging aspect to any technical topic. I always appreciate EJ's patient reply's He can make the unclear very clear in a simple way.

Still loving the DAC2 DSDse. One of my best ever audio purchases now going on two years of enjoyment.

Cheers,

Eric

Hello Eric,

Good to hear from you. Yes, many of the technical topics are challenging for me especially when I need to summon what I thought I understood back when but over time gets fuzzy again. Simple is best, and EJ knows how to make it so.

Glad that you continue to enjoy your Dac2 DSDse. Me too! I leave it powered on 24/7 and have since 2011 without issues. As the technology and software develops, I love that our Dac2 DSDse delivers high quality rendition of the formats/resolutions and output from the various software applications including iRC/Dirac Live for Amarra Symphony and roon, streaming from TIDAL HIFI. DSD pre-recorded downloads. I agree that the Dac2 DSDse is truly one of the best ever audio purchases and include the STP-SE Stage 2 preamp and SX1000 mono blocks which I also leave powered "on" 24/7 with no issues. Just stable, great sounding, and reliable.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Good to chat with you,

Richard

Hello Richard,

Now that I have touched on your posts regarding a somewhat controversial matter, I feel obligated to join in and relate my (hopefully non-controversial) experiences with my DSDse as well.

My unit was purchased as a DAC-2, which was upgraded to DSDse last year. Changed the grey case to black at the same time.

The sound of the DAC-2 was great. The sound of the DSDse once broken in was an order of magnitude better. It now seems to be the strongest link in my digital chain, as weaknesses in other parts seem to be laid bare by this DAC.

Last fall I sent the unit to a well-known audio upgrade house for evaluation. Ultimately capacitors and diodes were changed, and a few other tweaks. Of course the warranty was voided in the process.

And again, the SQ improvement was a great leap over the stock DSDse. Maybe yet again an order of magnitude. More body, better defined bass, beautiful midrange and vocals, more “organic”.

And just recently I jumped on the REGEN bandwagon as well along with a USB cable upgrade, so am enjoying that additional SQ improvement to the digital chain.

So I have been happy with this W4S product at all phases of its life, but with the DSDse and subsequent mods it gives me all the pleasure and satisfaction I could ask for at this time.

Recently I had a conversation with that same “marketing guy” at W4S. He said that a new DAC(s) is in the works and is due for fall/winter rollout this year. I sincerely hope they keep the variety of inputs available now should I decide to upgrade, especially the I2S which I plan to use as the main input in a system change on the horizon.

kilroy

Hello Richard,

Now that I have touched on your posts regarding a somewhat controversial matter, I feel obligated to join in and relate my (hopefully non-controversial) experiences with my DSDse as well.

My unit was purchased as a DAC-2, which was upgraded to DSDse last year. Changed the grey case to black at the same time.

The sound of the DAC-2 was great. The sound of the DSDse once broken in was an order of magnitude better. It now seems to be the strongest link in my digital chain, as weaknesses in other parts seem to be laid bare by this DAC.

Last fall I sent the unit to a well-known audio upgrade house for evaluation. Ultimately capacitors and diodes were changed, and a few other tweaks. Of course the warranty was voided in the process.

And again, the SQ improvement was a great leap over the stock DSDse. Maybe yet again an order of magnitude. More body, better defined bass, beautiful midrange and vocals, more “organic”.

And just recently I jumped on the REGEN bandwagon as well along with a USB cable upgrade, so am enjoying that additional SQ improvement to the digital chain.

So I have been happy with this W4S product at all phases of its life, but with the DSDse and subsequent mods it gives me all the pleasure and satisfaction I could ask for at this time.

Recently I had a conversation with that same “marketing guy” at W4S. He said that a new DAC(s) is in the works and is due for fall/winter rollout this year. I sincerely hope they keep the variety of inputs available now should I decide to upgrade, especially the I2S which I plan to use as the main input in a system change on the horizon.

kilroy

Thank you for your findings about the Dac2 DSDse. I wonder if the variety of inputs will allow for an ethernet and what the new Dac will offer beyond what the Dac2 DSDse.

Best,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is not a W4S DAC2 help thread but I can't seem to find an answer to a seemingly simple question. Does the DAC2 require power from the SOtM card. On the Wadia121, I was able to turn it off.

Other than that, a pretty straight forward setup although I'm holding back from the upsampling to DSD via JRMC until I'm familiar with the SQ.

No upgrades bar DSD at this stage.

I realize this is not a W4S DAC2 help thread but I can't seem to find an answer to a seemingly simple question. Does the DAC2 require power from the SOtM card. On the Wadia121, I was able to turn it off.

Other than that, a pretty straight forward setup although I'm holding back from the upsampling to DSD via JRMC until I'm familiar with the SQ.

No upgrades bar DSD at this stage.

Hello JakovH,

Sorry but you did post in the wrong thread. Please start your own thread or contact W4S support. I am sure you will get your answer. Please do not take this personally. My intention is to maintain this thread on topic, which concerns the W4S Dac2 DSDse. Thank you for your understanding.

Best,

Richard

Dear All,

Tracking information indicates that tomorrow, Saturday, two (2) AQ Jitterbugs should arrive at my doorstep. If that happens, one of those AQ Jitterbugs will be promptly inserted into the USB port on my Mac Mini that feeds my W4S Dac2 DSDse. I am curious as to what effect, if any, the addition of the AudioQuest Jitterbug (hereafter "AQJ") will have on the SQ.

I have already added the UpTone Audio Regen (Amber is redundant so I will no longer being qualify which Regen it is) to the USB input port on my W4S Dac2 DSDse which is intended to enhance signal integrity and assist the USB PHY by reducing the work it must perform. The AQJ is intended to clean up the noise from the computer end, if I have that correct. If one has read Michael Lavorgna's review of the AQJ, I may expect (expectation bias accounted for -- not really) a change in SQ, or not.

Re expectation bias, and this IS NOT an invitation to post here about it, please!, I will make the haughty statement that I am immune from EB. I base that on trust. IOW: I trust myself and my training for decades to exhibit sensory specific feedback. One attunes oneself in order to be proficient. It's more about awareness than BS. Again, let me emphasize, this is not an invitation to argue the point. Or to put it another way, for those who advocate the influence of EB, be my guest. For those who would doubt my discernment because of EB, be my guest.

As for the second AQJ, I will insert that one in the USB port on the back of my Mac Mini which is presently connected to my custom Limited Chrome NY (Neil Young not New York) Pono. I will leave the cLNYP (guess what that refers to) disconnected with the intention of assessing what effect, if any, a second AQJ has when inserted in an otherwise open USB port (unused). It has been reported that the AQJ "helps" out in this regard as well as a used USB port. I'll be interested to discern, if I can, whether that is the case or whether I have a case of purchased more than the AQJ (as in purchased the marketing that goes with it). In any case (pun intended), after futzing with the second AQJ, I'll return the USB cable connected to my cLNYP and leave the second AQJ in that port.

As I have reported in prior posts here, the SQ that I was "used to hearing" with my Dac2 DSDse in my system changed "dramatically" with the addition of the Regen. To get to the point, the SQ got brighter in my sense of it. By brighter, I am not sure I like it. There have been other changes in characteristics that I do like as in dimensionality, detail, spacial sense, instrument voicing as if more definitive and detailed. It's the "brighter" character that is taking getting used to.

I explain to myself that perhaps (I know having a conversation with oneself can be regarded with different perspectives, smile) I have been listening through my W4S Dac2 DSDse since 2011 with various upgrades to the Dac2 to Dac2 DSDse to the Dac2 DSDse with Femto Clock; and, consequentially, discernible changes in SQ. Additionally, changing USB cables has also influenced the SQ.

Fortunately, enough time has elapsed with the Regen for me to get better "acquainted" with the SQ. Next is to consider what the AQJ accomplishes. My association with the word Jitterbug, given my age, is a dance that was popular during my adolescence. It's impossible not to let that association run its course. I am hoping this time the dance will be an impulse based on the performance of this peripheral. Toe taping will suffice if the AQJ works well with my Dac2 DSDse. The downside is that I spent $99.98 to find out instead of contributing that amount to a worthier cause.

If I sound casual about the matter, it is because my anticipation is mild by comparison to what I felt about the UpTone Audio components influence. By that I mean I have no real concern if it the results of adding the AQJs should not pan out. It will be the Atlas Shrugged response and that will be that.

And if any member user is also adding the AQJ in between their source/cable/W4S Dac2 DSDse, please report back on your experience. There are other threads devoted to the AudioQuest Jitterbug; and I intend to add my comments there, but obviously my interest is pivotal to the W4S Dac2 DSDse which is primary to me. And what collateral changes in tandem accomplish. My Dac2 DSDse stays in my system. And while I have referred to what other member(s) have alluded to as future W4S Dacs, it would take something special to move me to another Dac, notwithstanding there are wonderful Dacs available from other manufacturer(s)/designers.

To love is to be happy with. I am happy with my W4S Dac2 DSDse, ergo...

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

My copy of September Stereophile arrived yesterday. Just finished a review by John Atkinson on the AudioQuest JitterBug, starting on page 107 of Stereophile. That makes two reviews given Michael Lavorgna's earlier review in AudioStream read online.

With Atkinson's review, his conclusion mirrors Lavorgna's. Atkinson also tested the JitterBug(s) with several Dacs. The outcome's varied, but the overall impression did not. Lavorgna and Atkinson converge in their assessment of the AQJ (hereafter "AQJB" changed from "AQJ"). Their conclusions increased my enthusiasm for purchasing two (2) AQJB's on intuition alone. If the second one does matter, given their reviews, I guessed well.

As for Atkinson's admonition at the conclusion of his review, "Try -- one or two -- for yourself", I am about to.

Curiously, Atkinson acknowleges that measurements were not determinative of his conclusions. Listening provided that. What a coincidence! (There are no such things as coincidences, depending on your perspectives for the Big Picture, at least that is my perspective, smile.)

Now, my anticipation level for the W4S Dac2 DSDse and the introduction of the AQJB just raised several levels, and I am already listening for the USPS man to deliver those little bugs. As usual, someone, in this instance, John Atkinson, explained the "what-it-does" to me in terms I can understand (sort of). Where what-it-does and how-it-does-it matters even more significantly for me is the conclusion reached. From what I imagined is a fair review from Atkinson, I am eager to discover for myself.

I especially appreciated Atkinson's disclosure that measurements did not provide a significant basis for the conclusion he reached. That he arrived at the conclusion that the AQJB improved the sound quality based on what he heard. In other words, dare I (?), objective measurements could not confirm what he heard subjectively.

I never measure anything unless it's distance from point A to point B. I am non-linear and highly subjective. And I trust myself and my discernment. Interestingly, Atkinson declares he has come to trust Lavorgna's "hearing".

Another very interesting synchronicity for me was learning that Atkinson was helped by Rob Robinson of Pure Music to set up Pure Music and for recommendations for his first real computer audio system, to wit, a Mac Mini 2.7, i7 with 8GB ram.

On my own, having read the recommendations at the various websites for the various software players, heavily weighted by Pure Music's website recommendations and Sonic Studio, and having read a bunch of articles in 2011 knowing nothing about computer audio, I decided on a Mac Mini, 2.7GHz, i7, 4, which became 8, which became 16GB and the Thunderbolt edition 2 months later. I still have the original earlier Mac Mini with 2 months of use-time boxed.

And as it was for Atkinson, I called Pure Music to ask for help in setting up my first software player, Pure Music. I could not set it up properly. Who should answer the phone call? Rob Robinson, who then, to my surprise, spent considerable time helping me set up Pure Music and my conform my Mac Mini to optimal arrangements, e.g., selecting the High Speed Bus with no other components and other considerations. The only difference between Atkinson and me aside from annual income and access to equipment and tons of know-how information is that Atkinson still runs the same Mac Mini as mine but headless, keyboardless, using his MacBook Pro to control the Mac Mini.

I could not resist sharing this synchronicity. I arrived at purchasing Wyred 4 Sound components in a similar fashion. I read all the reviews, and comparison reviews of equipment. Admittedly, I purchased the W4S components without testing them and based on reviews and my own intuition. Not recommended, especially if those decisions do not pan out as desired. But, notwithstanding how wonderful other equipment performs, I created a system that for me is good enough and allowed me to upgrade that system such that good enough got better and better.

Now with the UpTone Audio components changes arrived. And given what Atkinson and Lavorgna experienced through their trials of the AQJB with a variety of their Dacs at hand, etc., given my W4S Dac2 DSDse's output does not falter with what I introduce, in fact, its output improves collaterally from what I feed it by virtue of what other devices accomplish that enures to the benefit of the processing done by the Dac2 DSDse. Signal integrity, impedance matching, cleaning up noise packets etc., etc., (read Atkinson's review and John Swenson's papers), the W4S Dac2 DSDse outputs improve along with everything that affects its output. GIGO. GIBO (good in, better out, smile).

Is it Saturday yet?

Richard

Dear All:

I posted my findings about the AudioQuest JitterBug(s) added to my system and what I experienced sonically with them in tandem with the UpTone Audio components. I am keeping both of the AQJBs in my system. My Dac2 DSDse is using whatever it is that they contribute overall to the sonic signature rendered from source to speakers.

If you care to, you can read my post of my findings at the AudioQuest JitterBug thread where I felt it was appropriate to post so as to not clutter this thread with, if not OT, posts about tangential equipment while relevant to the W4S Dac2 DSDse's operations and performance, but not essential to the topic of this thread.

I am appreciating my Dac2 DSDse all the more for what I heard this evening. Apparently, my (our) your Dac if you decide to make it yours is able to render superb sounds when fed better data signals. The W4S Dac2 DSDse is up to the task of excellent reproduction.

My investment in the UpTone Audio components was considerable in comparison to the AQJB. The results in my opinion justified the expense. The cost for two AQJBs are minimal. What they add in tandem overall is worth the price. For those of us enjoying our W4S Dac2 DSDse and are interested in improving what we feed our Dac, the UpTone Audio components and the AQJB, in my experience, both auditory and visceral, demonstrate what else can be accomplished before the signal reaches our Dac and then what flows is yet another level of the enjoyment of music.

As I mentioned in my post, some good will from AudioQuest includes a code for 60 days of roon at no charge and a discount of 20% for Pro Studio Master downloads. I also ordered an extender to allow me to add the second AQJB to the second USB input port on the back of my Mac Mini as two AQJB in parallel do not fit without the extender cable (6"). I use three of the four USB ports and the second AQJB is justified in adding given my experience.

All of that is covered in my post at the above mentioned thread. Love my Dac2 DSDse and appreciate the innovations that add to this experience.

Richard

PS

No matter how I orient the photographs after uploading my orientation is fiddled with. Sorry

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

After over two hours of listening to my system with UpTone Audio components/AQJBx2/Amarra Symphony with iRC, I have never heard music render through my Dac2 DSDse at the level of equisite SQ that I am presently experiencing. It was not immediately apparent, I must admit. I was between the betwixt. And then after an hour or two, suddenly the SQ was so exquisite and easy to receive I just went with it.

I have played mostly jazz albums with Bill Evans at 44.1/16 and now with Oscar Peterson at 192/24, and the rendition is extraordinary. I hate hyperbole but I have never heard my library sound as it does at this moment.

Do yourself a solid, and check out what I am experiencing from your perspective/criteria. Remember I am employing UpTone Audio components (all of them) and 2 AQJBs with my Dac2 DSDse and my choice of player, Amarra Symphony with iRC in Playlist mode which I have always advocated is the player of choice. I have no investment in being right about any of this, the proof is in the pudding. So serve yourself a generous helping and let me know what you find.

Enjoy the music, like never before,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer! Just when the music is getting better and better, suddenly my W4S Dac2 DSDse is missing according to AMS (Audio Midi Setup). Really? Where did it go? Yoohoo! I am looking at it on the third shelf. AMS? Hello?

There's always something. And not always what I want a helping of. Think! Oh, no! My Regen's fried! From Alex Crespi of UpTone Audio, "The REGEN has had about a 0.7% failure rate. But I am sorry that you ended up being among the less than 1%. We will take care of this for you right away..." How did I get a broken one? It was going so well for the first month and a half. Visions of Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles unable to hit the red ball with the Bolo paddle, you know, the ping pong shaped wooden paddle with a stapled rubber string and a red ball attached at the end.

With the roon update to V1.1, and the full compliment of additional devices I have added, referred to in earlier posts, the music has never been better. Mail the REGEN back. Wait for the replacement. Curious how the more things change the more they remain the same. In this case, my Dac2 DSDse, is the Bolo, and it never misses. The better signal I feed it the better the SQ that emanates. It's the one constant for change that reveals a truth for the enjoyment of music. Whatever I add to the system that improves the system is revealed through my Dac2 DSDse to my STP-SE Stage 2 preamp to my SX1000 mono blocks. The better the ingredients, the finer the meal.

Stuff happens. Unlucky me about the REGEN's failure (to be replaced so happy ending). Lucky me, the Dac2 DSDse just performs so well. roon's new update is excellent. HQPlayer is intended for integration with roon. An iOS remote app by roon for my iPad Air 2 is pending at Apple's App Store (whenever they green light roon's App). Dirac Live (Full) program works with roon so the SQ is even better. I have been beta testing Sonic Studio's latest streaming programs, Amarra For TIDAL and Amarra sQ+ both with iRC. And a remote app from Sonic Studio is on the way. Soon I hope! Dirac's impulse response correction is available to me for the software players I employ. I ordered a third AudioQuest JitterBug for my auxilary system, the KEFX300A, self powered speakers with proprietary Dacs (96/24).

I am finally there -- when good enough is -- and all I have to manage is which of the 6000+ albums (a number that keeps growing) and/or TIDAL HIFI selections to play. What a nightmare!

Off the record, there's more on the horizon for the Future from EJ Sarmento and Wyred 4 Sound that in time will surface and grab our attention. Though not at liberty to say unless you hear it from the source, I am saving up for some components I haven't even touched. Just the idea of them inspires me. I only mention in an artfully vague manner what dreams may come to share my enthusiasm. For now it's the idea of "it" that relaxes and excites me all at the same time.

For the last four (4) years, I have been able to keep a system that includes a Dac, preamp, amps, two of which I have upgraded to a level of performance that, again, is good enough without having to replace the actual components other than the upgrades. I like that I have been able to maintain a system I enjoy that only gets better with innovation.

The next step is a game changer. And perhaps, my present main system will become my new/old auxilary system. And what then? Hopefully, good enough is going to get better, but at a cost. Will the cost be justified? That is to be determined, and I intend to disccover that for myself.

Do I need a new Wyred 4 Sound system?

Richard

What was the failure mode on your Regen?

If you peruse the Regen thread, Alex Crespi has responded to a query from a customer whose Regen did not work and was very hot to the touch. Quoting Alex directly:

"It is due to the solder underneath the center of the hub chip being 0.0015" too thick. Causes a pin to lift, which then causes the chip to draw a lot of current from the 5V regulator--and that is the chip which then gets hot. This was in an early batch of 300 REGENs (but only a few have failed so far), and the solder stencil has been changed to prevent this. So the last 900+ units should not be subject to this failure mode."

I am one of those customers whose Regen apparently was fabricated with this fault. It will be replaced. And Alex is very good about taking care of his customers.

Best,

Richard

Alright everyone, it's been a long time coming, but I finally had a chance to A/B a W4S DAC2 DSDSE vs my W4S DAC2. YES! It is every bit better. It sounded more open and clear, more musical, and had much better soundstage. Bass was better resolved as well.

I did, however, have a chance to compare it to an Ayre Codex, which I had not expected to be able to do. It was neck in neck on most tracks. But then we got to St. Thomas from Saxophone Colossus and instantly we knew, the Codex had beat the DAC2 DSDSE hands down. To be fair, we then put on the vinyl of that album onto my Clearaudio Performance SE with Ebony Artist V2 cartridge and that blew away the Codex (we also tried the new W4S just to check and yes, that too). It was night and day. Not a great surprise as digital just isn't as refined as vinyl yet, but we try, right?

Anyway, that's our results from a weekend's work. Is the upgrade worth it? YES! But the Ayre Codex is even better. And vinyl still takes the prize. So it goes.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

Alright everyone, it's been a long time coming, but I finally had a chance to A/B a W4S DAC2 DSDSE vs my W4S DAC2. YES! It is every bit better. It sounded more open and clear, more musical, and had much better soundstage. Bass was better resolved as well.

I did, however, have a chance to compare it to an Ayre Codex, which I had not expected to be able to do. It was neck in neck on most tracks. But then we got to St. Thomas from Saxophone Colossus and instantly we knew, the Codex had beat the DAC2 DSDSE hands down. To be fair, we then put on the vinyl of that album onto my Clearaudio Performance SE with Ebony Artist V2 cartridge and that blew away the Codex (we also tried the new W4S just to check and yes, that too). It was night and day. Not a great surprise as digital just isn't as refined as vinyl yet, but we try, right?

Anyway, that's our results from a weekend's work. Is the upgrade worth it? YES! But the Ayre Codex is even better. And vinyl still takes the prize. So it goes.

Hello,

Congratulations on the W4S Dac2 DSDse upgrade. You did not mention how many hours of play you have on the Dac2 DSDse. So I will ask. My reasons are as follows: One, as with all W4S upgrades, either the Dac2 to Dac2 DSDse to Dac2 DSDse with Femto Clock, the STP-SE to STP-SE Stage 2 preamp, all went through several stages of breakin and required in my experience over 400 hours to sound "just right" a la Goldilocks. Perhaps you have those hours already and your assessment is just that.

I actually had to look up what an Ayre Codex is. Now I know. Dac, Preamp, Headphone amp. Impressive! Thank you for your assessment. Would have loved to have attended your listening session to discern the differences in SQ you experienced. As one who does not play vinyl, I can hardly relate from my own experience what you heard compared to the W4S and Ayre.

My lips, by necessity, are sealed for the time being. The Future hold some interesting visions of what is to come.

As for me, I am glad you felt the upgrade was worth the price of admission. As with assessments, I am happy you're happy with your components and appreciate that you took the time to share your comparisons with us.

Wishing you many hours of enjoyment. That's always the best way to go (smile).

Best,

Richard

I didn't buy the upgrade myself, I compared the upgraded version to my original DAC-2. The Codex is newer than the DAC-2, so unless the profile of both changes dramatically during burn in, I will assume the comparison is still valid. I will be purchasing the Codex as soon as it comes in the door at my dealer.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

• 1 month later...

Dear All:

EJ has returned from RMAF; and he provided us with some preliminary specifications for the coming amp and preamp. I'll have more to share and ask you pardon the references as OT, but for the time, it made sense to start to post here for the announcement. Will start a new thread shortly.

The supplied photograph is not the best. I am posting from my iPhone 6+. Will attempt to include the one photograph.

I am starting my own savings kick starter to get ready. The price points are not insignificant. More will follow. For the moment here is what I received from EJ and post with his permission. His post is edited by me to exclude personal communication between us.

I am excited! What say you?

Best,

Richard

image.png

"Sorry for the terrible pic, we plan to take proper pics when the pallet of products return.

Early specs on Statement series:

Statement Series Power Amplifier

Proprietary Wyred 4 Sound amplifier design

250 watts stereo @ 8Ω, 500 watts @ 4Ω

750 watt @ 8Ω fully-differential bridgeable mode

Possible Transformer-coupled input stage

Exceptional, massive linear power supply

5” full-color touch screen control and feedback

Premium binding posts and internal wiring

· Expected availability by 2015 years end

Estimated price: $4k.

Statement Series Modular Controller (preamplifier)

Future-proof modular design will allow for customized expansion: DAC, phono stage, wireless, etc.

Scalable inputs and outputs

Our finest discreet volume control circuit ever

Fully-balanced design

Upgradable power supply

5” full-color touch screen control

Premium internal connection points

· Expected availability mid/late 2016

Estimated price: $2-5k based on configuration.

Dear All:

EJ has returned from RMAF; and he provided us with some preliminary specifications for the coming amp and preamp. I'll have more to share and ask you pardon the references as OT, but for the time, it made sense to start to post here for the announcement. Will start a new thread shortly.

The supplied photograph is not the best. I am posting from my iPhone 6+. Will attempt to include the one photograph.

I am starting my own savings kick starter to get ready. The price points are not insignificant. More will follow. For the moment here is what I received from EJ and post with his permission. His post is edited by me to exclude personal communication between us.

I am excited! What say you?

Best,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21404[/ATTACH]

"Sorry for the terrible pic, we plan to take proper pics when the pallet of products return.

Early specs on Statement series:

Statement Series Power Amplifier

Proprietary Wyred 4 Sound amplifier design

250 watts stereo @ 8Ω, 500 watts @ 4Ω

750 watt @ 8Ω fully-differential bridgeable mode

Possible Transformer-coupled input stage

Exceptional, massive linear power supply

5” full-color touch screen control and feedback

Premium binding posts and internal wiring

· Expected availability by 2015 years end

Estimated price: $4k.

Statement Series Modular Controller (preamplifier)

Future-proof modular design will allow for customized expansion: DAC, phono stage, wireless, etc.

Scalable inputs and outputs

Our finest discreet volume control circuit ever

Fully-balanced design

Upgradable power supply

5” full-color touch screen control

Premium internal connection points

· Expected availability mid/late 2016

Estimated price: $2-5k based on configuration.

I was able to see the new amp at RMAF and have a nice talk with EJ and Tony. Very exciting times at W4S!

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.