IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Few questions:

1. Does Dac2 DSD SE supports DSD 256 and/or DSD 512?

2. Does it have a custom ASIO driver for DSD?

3. Does it support DSD through it's I2S input?

Hello shahed99,

Welcome to the thread.

If you were to search this thread, you would find a statement from EJ Sarmento which I included in a post some time ago, this year, that is material to your question no. 1. I invite you to find that post so that you can read directly what EJ Sarmento wrote in response to my email to him.

No ASIO driver is required for the Dac2 DSDse to play DSD tracks through the USB input. However, is a custom ASIO driver available? I do not believe there is one offered by Wyred4Sound. However, you can visit the W4S website and peruse the download/support pages. Sometime ago, when an Apple OSX build broke the ASIO driver used by Dac1 and Dac2 owners, first a temporary driver was offered followed by a better one. After the DSDse upgrade, no ASIO driver was required.

I do not know the answer to your question # 3, re DSD through I2S input. Best to email or telephone support at W4S to get the best answer from those who know for certain. Or perhaps a Dac2DSDse owner who already employs the I2S input can provide you with an accurate answer. In any case, it would be useful to this thread for an answer to your question. If you do contact W4S and inquire, we would appreciate if you would post your answer.

Best,

Richard

PS

Please read post #1156

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I just received an email notice from UpTone Audio, Inc. advising me of the shipment tracking number (one day earlier than expected). I have an app that informs me of the progress of the shipment, but it is too soon to start the countdown of days for an exact arrival date. It will arrive via Priority Mail from California. I love weekends, and I just used my latest HDtracks.com discount code to purchase more music to add to a library that is approaching 4000+ albums. I will not squander this weekend wishing it to pass so the shipment will arrive faster.

In a few days sometime next week after a weekend I plan to enjoy leisurely, I will accept delivery of that rectangle stuffed with goodies and begin a multi-staged review for the employment of several UpTone Audio components intended to improve my Mac Mini's and W4S Dac2 DSDse's performance output. I maybe getting ahead of myself, but the assumption is reasonable given the assessments of those who come before me and have already assessed the performance upgrades the UpTone Audio components deliver.

Specificially, I am expecting one JS-2, a Linear Power Supply (LPS), to power my Mac Mini and a Regen Amber USB hub to improve signal integrity from source to my W4S Dac2 DSDse; one multipurpose MMK for installation and to replace the factory installed mediocre power supply in the Mac Mini, as well as a Linear Power fan controller and regulator in the Mac Mini; and an optional custom made DC cable to power the Regen Amber by the JS-2.

I plan to add one element at a time. For example, first stage will consist of listening as I always do to my main system (see signature) as is and without any of the UpTone Audio components. I intend to play my "go-to" Bill Evans redbook CD converted by XLD and one converted by dBpoweramp to AIFF/44.1/16, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1, Disc 2 and Disc 3. I recently discovered that these recordings were not remastered as HDCD 20Bit. dBpoweramp set to rip the box set of three discs determined that the output is 44.1/16 and not 44.1/24.

That will comprise Step 1, of Stage 0., e.g., no changes to the main system that involve UpTone Audio components.

Step 2, Stage 1, I will then install the Regen Amber (as distinguished from the Regen Green, the original which sold out in a flash was, thereafter, immediately upgraded to the Amber edition which is the only edition I will own when it arrives). The Regen Amber will be powered by the supplied SMPS, Meanwell, first listening to the same Evans Disc 1. Then compare the SQ with the addition of the Regen Amber powered by the Meanwell SMPS vs without the Regen Amber.

For Step 2, Stage 2, I will substitute the SMPS Meanwell with the Regen Amber powered by the JS-2 which requires nothing more than to set the outputs to the proper voltage. Output 2 of the JS-2 will be set to 7.0V and used to power the Regen Amber. The Meanwell SMPS supplies 7.5V. But I have read at the UpTone Audio threads that 7.0V is sufficient. Then I plan to compare the SQ with the Regen Amber powered by the JS-2, Output 2 at 7.0V. I may also set the Output 2 to 9.0V and compare as well, versus the Meanwell SMPS.

To be continued. Just wanted to provide an example of how I plan to proceed adding UpTone Audio components to my main system and to what extent, if any, my W4S Dac2 DSDse's output is enhanced (or not). The steps and stages that follow will naturally inlcude the JS-2 and MMK powering my Mac Mini. But that will be farther along in the step/stage assessments.

Look forward to the arrival of that rectangular box and employing the goodies inside. Admittedly, I am excited and hopeful that my Dac2 DSDse will be assisted and the enjoyment of music I thoroughly experience will be enhanced further.

To be determined.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Nice plan. I look forward to your reports.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Dear All,

It's not yet 4:30AM, Friday, June 19th. I awoke for the usual reasons. At 71, those reasons are nothing I can really do anything about.

Before returning to my Dux, I took a moment to wind up my iPad Air 2 and check the tracking information. Holy Shitachi Mushrooms! Delivery of that rectangular box is scheduled for Saturday, June 20th. Wait let me check that again. It is 2nd-day Priority Mail. Saturday IS the indicated delivery date. Thank you Alex. I told you, All, I love weekends.

I believe I will change certain plans and plan to change certain equipment. I should have more than sufficient time to conduct all the steps of all the stages without feeling rushed

Step 1 of Stage 3 will be to install the MMK (properly -- I hope the instructions are easy to follow -- as I have been led to believe they are detailed). Step 2 of Stage 3 will be to connect the JS-2 to the MMK using DC Outlet 1 set to 12.0V. Followed by listening to Evans Disc 1 with Regen Amber disconnected from JS-2 and back to being powered by the Meanwell SMPS. Step 3 of Stage 3 will be to disconnect Regen Amber from SMPS and return to JS-2 Outlet 2. I plan to take notes all along. I hope I am not being overly meticulous to the point of OCD (smile). Meaning that the steps are significant changes that are material to pertinent setups that will provide me and fellow CA member users with meaningful/useful sensory-oriented information about different arrangements and the differences that make a difference. If "it" doesn't make a difference that is useful information too, n'est-ce pas?

Where was I? Falling down the steps? My wife just woke up and asked me to come back to bed. "I will, but first..."

Step 4 of Stage 3 will be to connect the supplied cable from the MMK fan regulator port to the JS-2 and change the switch to "on" or whatever activates the monitoring of the fan controller inside the Mac Mini regulated by the JS-2 with the Regen Amber still powered by the JS-2 from Outlet 2. Am I being slightly OCD? That is, should I add a Step 5, Stage 3, and with the MMK regulating the internal fan controller in the Mac Mini, switch the power supply for the Regen Amber back to the Meanwell SMPS and listen for changes to SQ output?

Fortunately, my wife is a clinical psychologist who loves music too.Yikes! No, she will not 2PC me. Wait, that's it! Step 1, Stage 4, ask my wife to similtaneously listen to the different steps during the various stages while I change/switch. And then Step 2, Stage 4, ask my wife to discern the SQ of the various unsighted set-ups when all of the steps and stages from 1 to 3 have concluded without telling her what set-up she is listening to and taking notes about her preferences. Or not. Starting to sound crazy? But if it's fun/enjoyment/curiosity then we can play it by ear (fun intended) or not.

I intend to report back my findings in a thoughtful, expedient (hopefully entertaining) and comprehensive manner. I'll add more musical selections and genre. Keeping it real (and pithy). And above all enjoyably musical.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll love ya tomorrow, it's only a day a way yyyy!

Best,

Richard

Exciting times Richard!

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Dear All,

2 Day Priority Mail brought me my package on time from UpTone Audio clear across the USA. I spent yesterday, Saturday, re-arranging my components to accomodate the JS-2 LPS where I thought it would serve me best. By the time I accomplished that and unpacked the shipping container, I was done in.

Today, I devoted time to listening to my system to support my auditory memory. I invited my wife to listen in the main seat as well. And even asked her to select on of the three albums I listened to with the system "as is presently". I had intended to ask my wife for her preferences under unsighted conditions. But after installing the Regen Amber given my synergy for components and how they are shelved, it was not possible to A/B.

I discovered the best way (for me) to connect the Regen Amber with my W4S Dac2 DSDse given that my components are located on five glass shelves of a BDI component stand.

The day has flown by. The last installation is the MMK which requires open heart surgery on my Mac Mini to replace the factory Power Supply with the UpTone Audio MMK. I have saved what I regard as the hardest installation for last.

I'll just post briefly that in my opinion from the listening time my wife and I spent today which was about 90 minutes, the W4S Dac2 DSDse and the UpTone Audio Regen Amber make beautiful music together. As you already know about me there's much more to relate.

After the MMK is installed, I can setup the system to integrate completely with those UpTone Audio components that power my Mac Mini, affect the signal integrity to my Dac2 DSDse, power the Regen Amber, regulate the fan controller inside the Mac Mini and a few other functions that the JS-2 regulates.

It looks like the steps I thought I would take to stage the assessment is not easily accomplished given my arrangement with component stand and working space. So I have abandoned my stepped staging. It will be more practical for me to assess my system with the setup completed with all connections made to/from the UpTone Audio components and the those components that are connected. Then assess my experiences thusly.

My wife's assessment was a delight for me as she actually made a much better early assessment than I did. She got right down to the essentials of what changed before I did. And her discernment was correct. More about that later.

I have no intentions of persuading anyone to follow my decisions. I leave that to your own province. But given the initial experiences, I do not regret anything I have done so far. If only I can install the MMK without f**king up my Mac Mini. The support and service from Alex and John has been marvelous. There is no User Manual for the JS-2. And Alex has not gotten around to assembling over 100 photographs that document the MMK installation which he states would document the whole procedure photographically so that non-English speaking users would not require translations.

Other members are also being helpful with encouragement and specific feedback based on their experiences; and Alex has offered to help me however I may need his help. I am gearing up and expect the MMK installation to be completed and every component connected by the end of Monday.

All that remains then will be enjoying the music, which has already begun with the installation of the Regen Amber powered by the supplied Mean Well SMPS and the solid adapter that connects the Regen Amber to the USB B input on the back of the Dac2 DSDse.

To be continued...

Best,

Richard

Good report Richard!

Can I say I told you so? You will also see a little more improvement when you put the Regen on the JS-2. I put my Regen Green on the HD-Plex LPS yesterday and it was a nice improvement, although I can't be sure it wasn't my DAC2 still improving after burning in from the DSDse upgrade.

My Amber should be here next week along with a Supra cable and parts to put a new NAA PC together. Timing is good as Opening Night is July 3rd so things will calm down a little and I'll get a little more time to listen.

Enjoy,

Bob

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Good report Richard!

Can I say I told you so? You will also see a little more improvement when you put the Regen on the JS-2. I put my Regen Green on the HD-Plex LPS yesterday and it was a nice improvement, although I can't be sure it wasn't my DAC2 still improving after burning in from the DSDse upgrade.

My Amber should be here next week along with a Supra cable and parts to put a new NAA PC together. Timing is good as Opening Night is July 3rd so things will calm down a little and I'll get a little more time to listen.

Enjoy,

Bob

Just completed the MMK transplant. Decided to go completely with all UpTone Audio components, cabling, fan controller. De woiks! Of course, I was completely nervous to discover if my Mac Mini would survive the transplant or had I f**k'ditup.

I will report back more fully. But for the time being, I am slightly exhausted, I knew five seconds into booting up my Mac Mini powered by JS-2, launching Amarra Symphony with iRC, selecting Bill Evans', The Complete Village Vanguard Recording, 1961, Disc 1, that my system had changed completely. Without exaggerations, I have never heard such gorgeous sonic signature sound come from Amarra Symphony.

Feed the W4S Dac2 DSDse or (I imagine any quality Dac) the Dac of your choice a signal from a system powered by (in my circumstance) all UpTone Audio components and what follows is exquisite sound rendition as I have never heard from my "new" system. The combination and the synergy therefrom is magical. In the past with different Amarra Symphony builds, I thought the SQ was heading in the direction of more natural, 3D sound. But alas some recordings, the instruments did not sound as natural as I would want.

To sum up, the improvement has been extraordinary and not subtle. In the past, I have referred to W4S updates as like cleaning the windows to better see out of them. There are no windows, take a seat, enjoy the clarity, smooth sound minus grunge and edginess, natural sound of the instruments. I have said this before that it was the best I have ever heard. I had not a clue how much more could be resolved. Clearly the W4S Dac2 DSDse given the highest quality signal I have ever heard can render that signal faithfully. Extraordinary.

Alex and John have truly innovated components that create a synergy for the rendition of music that is priceless and so highly entertaining that after awhile one gets used to greatness from the start.

Best,

Richard

Congrats!

Bob

Richard, it is always good to hear that further improvements in sound quality are out there for us DAC-2 DSD SE owners. I am very interested in hearing about your latest upgrades and want to thank you for blazing the trail for us other DAC-2 owners. I have a Mac Mini on order from Apple to replace a Dell laptop I was using as a music server. I haven't decided if I will go with Amarra or JRiver. Probably JRiver since I can cheaply upgrade my license for Mac. This will be my first Mac so I have a learning curve ahead of me!

Richard, it is always good to hear that further improvements in sound quality are out there for us DAC-2 DSD SE owners. I am very interested in hearing about your latest upgrades and want to thank you for blazing the trail for us other DAC-2 owners. I have a Mac Mini on order from Apple to replace a Dell laptop I was using as a music server. I haven't decided if I will go with Amarra or JRiver. Probably JRiver since I can cheaply upgrade my license for Mac. This will be my first Mac so I have a learning curve ahead of me!

Hello jrsub,

Given the transformation of my Mac Mini today, I am more than happy for you. I know the latest rage is the availability of other music servers which have been very well received. I think you will become very happy with your choice of the Mac Mini. You already know my assessment of Amarra Symphony with iRC. So I will not be boorish about which software player to choose as long as you are happy with the sonic signature/SQ that the player produces, that for me, is what matters. How you arrive is in your province, just as long as you get there (smile).

I hope you purchase the best model you can afford for the Mac Mini, e.g., the most powerful processor (you can afford) and the most RAM as that will serve your best interests in rendering digital music files/ DSD/upsampling etc. If you should consider HQPlayer's processing power the processors/RAM are essential. Amarra Symphony with iRC is my go-to player as you know. HQPlayer comes in second for me. I have no experience with JRiver but I trust you know what you enjoy.

Also, it's been a long day for me with an exquisite outcome after completing the MMK transplant so that I can use the synergy of UpTone Audio components together. I will post a complete findings assessment of my experience with my beloved W4S Dac2 DSDse and how wonderfully capable/equipped it is to deliver, in my opinion, the best SQ I have ever heard given the latest additions of the JS-2/MMK/Regen Amber/fan controller sensor, and custom cabling from UpTone Audio.

As Bob attests to the capability of our Dac2 DSDse to render high quality resolution in sound, the other choices you can make that takes the Dac2 DSDse capability, the software and other refinements to a level of the enjoyment of music, I have not known (but always hoped for) until today when it all came together. I thought I would never really even get close because I did not have the budget to purchase the holy grail of components. Not so (for me). As today, I was taken over by the synergy of components and software that produce exquisite musical reproduction on a budget I can afford. I do not regret any of my present choices. Or to put it in the positive, I highly recommend you consider components from UpTone Audio, LLC to take your wonderful Dac and new music server and player to the level you will marvel at as I did this afternoon.

My assessment to follow. Good fortune with your new purchase. I look forward to learning from you what you create as your system and what it delivers.

And thank you, Bob, for your kind and support and remarks.

Best,

Richard

Congrats!

Thank you, Bob, appreciate your support and kindness and thoughtful remarks. Good fortune with the synergy you are creating with software and NAA and the development of your newly upgraded Dac2 DSDse. The boundaries continue to expand as we discover different solutions to the enhancement of rendering our music library files to even great fidelity.

The music's the thing. The equipment seduces.

Best,

Richard

Dac2 DSDse owners: Latch on to the affirmative and Don't mess with Mister In-Between. (Harold Arlen & Johnny Mercer). Exception: With the Regen Amber between one's Dac and source via USB, one is in the right place at the right time. (I have no experience with other connectors and converters, e.g., SPDIF, AES, coax etc.) Products are in high demand and would flying off the shelves if there was a store. There is by necessity a waiting list for future deliveries. I have no connection to UpTone Audio other than being a recent customer having just taken delivery last Saturday, June 20th.

I am a little late to the party, perhaps intentionally. Although in time for the Regen Amber which replaces and improves (so the prevailing opinions suggest) on the Regen Green, UpTone Audio's first edition.

Given the multiple threads devoted to UpTone Audio's product line and the growing popularity among CA members, I doubt my findings will take anyone by surprise overall.

However, as my findings are focused primarily on the banquet served up with W4S Dac2 DSDse and UpTone Audio's premier LPS (the only one at present) the JS-2, partnered with their MMK (or is it the other way around?) and the Regen Amber son of Regen Green on the menu, a four (4) star rating would be this reviewer's opinion. If that is all you need to know you can stop reading. For those of you who would care for a few side dishes, stick around the service is up to the task.

My seating arrangement is straight-forward: Mac Mini to Light Harmonic's LightSpeed USB cable (0.8M, standard, the red one, Male A connector) to Regen Amber with solid adapter (Male B connector) to W4S Dac2 DSDse to W4S STP-SE Stage preamp to Bryston Electronic 10B Crossover, high pass to W4S SX1000 mono blocks and JL Audio F112 (X2 in mono mode) to KEF Reference 107 (circa 1986).

My original design was to add one UpTone Audio (hereafter "UA") component at a time for the express purpose of assessing the difference, if any, of each component's contribution to my system. With the Regen Amber powered by the supplied Mean Well SMPS tethered to my Dac2 DSDse, I discerned a difference immediately. I doubt there is a significant breakin period for the Regen Amber as there was for all the W4S components and cabling (if you do not accept that a breakin exists, fine with me). But given my arrangement for the components in my system located in a BDI component stand, it would not be practical to A/B each component. I had also planned to enlist the assistance of my wife as an unsighted discerner of comparisons. The same limitations would apply equally to her. The staged settings I proposed in an earlier post at this thread were scrapped mercifully by me. If my review suffers because of that decision so be it.

I was pleased with the addition of the Regen Amber. Not overwhelmed but very pleased. Neither overwhelmed, but neither underwhelmed. What does that mean experientially? I am not mitigating, dismissing, the Regen Amber's value by that assessment. If only the Regen Amber was added, I would keep it in the chain.

I invited my wife to take my seat (near field) before and after the Regen Amber was introduced. Her assessments reflected my experience and that alone was reaffirming. Before the Regen Amber: I first played Steve Davis download, Say When, AIFF 48/24, followed by Bill Evans Trio, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1, redbook CD XLD conversion to AIFF. I asked my wife for a third selection. She chose The Beatles. I chose Rubber Soul, Mono, redbook CD XLD conversion to AIFF. My wife asked me to lower the volume level set at 38. She settled on 30. At 38 the volume was too loud for her to tolerate and the sound takes on an edge. At 30, the edge was there for The Beatles but less severe.

After the Regen was introduced, I invited my wife back into the room. I replayed Evans Trio first followed after 4 tracks by The Beatles' Rubber Soul. During my listening session, I raised the volume back to 38. I waited for a while then asked my wife for her assessment. She's a careful listener (as a psychologist in private practice, listening is a talent some have and some do not). She noticed an immediate different. Different Good? Different Bad? What specifically, I asked? Different good, smoother, clearer, the edge had been polished. I waited but heard nothing from her about the volume. When I told her the volume level was back to 38; and that she had not commented on the volume level, she understood that her assessment allowed for the volume to be turned up without complaint. Apparently, the Regen Amber had refined the SQ, smoother, increased the clarity. She also commented that Bill Evan's piano sounded better, more like a piano's voice. I noticed that as well but until she stated that assessment, I had just accepted the change without noticing it. Upon reflection, I have always exclaimed to Sonic Studio's that the Evans' piano did not sound right to me when beta-testing their beta builds, and I had held Sonic Studio accountable. Not so. The Regen Amber demonstrated my attribution was incorrect. I was correct to invite my wife in to assess the additions to the system.

I did not get around to doing anything else for the Sunday that followed. Mainly because I was intimidated about installing the MMK which required basically that I take my Mac Mini apart except for removing the Hard Drive. I equated it open heart surgery. And if the patient did not survive...

I did power on the JS-2 just to insure that it would power on. I was impressed with just that. From the rear of the JS-2 I pressed against the power switch, noticed a red light from each outlet flash in a millisecond. Then from the front, the amber led embedded in the "p" of UpTone. Impressive was the absolute silence and the fit and finish and the feel of the unit. It oozed quality to me. I chose not to power the Regen Amber and test it by comparison when powered by the JS-2 in place of the Mean Well SMPS.

On Monday of this week, with the support of other members' experience and helpful materials and Alex Crispi's manual for installing the MMK and also his recommendation for a reference resource at iFixit.com which offers a photographic/text step by step for replacing a power supply for a Mid 2011 Mac Mini, I spent a few hours wading in and successfully installed the MMK. Apparently, I was better at open heart surgery than I thought. The patient lived and flourished as I discovered when it came time to turn on the JS-2, LPS, which would power my Mac Mini from DC Outlet 2 at 12V and the Regen Amber at DC Outlet 1 at 7.0V. Then my Mac Mini which booted up without a hitch. Once I saw that my Dac2 DSDse was detected by Audio Midi Setup, I was greatly relieved. Actually, proud. So was my wife.

Once all the components were tethered to the JS-2, powered up, every component operational (could not tell if the Mac Mini Fan Controller regulated by the JS-2 sensor (set to sense) and tethered from Mac Mini MMK to JS-2 sensor port, with my wife present, I launched Amarra Symphony with iRC in Amarra mode and selected the Bill Evans Trio's The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1.

The difference was palpable between the improvement/change solely with the Regen Amber/Mean Well SMPS and the full compliment of UA components powering my system. It was as if my old system had been replaced with a newer, modified almost same system but better. Much better. Much, much better. The change/difference for the better was in the level of improvment that was hinted at by the introduction of the Regen Amber. The voicing of the instruments was apparent, the SQ enhanced, smoother, clarity upped a few notches, rendition/resolution of music enhanced. No longer in Kansas.The wizards at UA had opened their black bag and had given a new heart, brain and in place of courage, a higher sense of fidelity. I was highly impressed and so was my wife. The Regen Amber by itself was a nice improvement, but with the additions of the full compliment, the change was dramatic.

And so what followed. I chose several recent (very) downloads from various vendors and was immediately taken with the poor production quality of the downloads. Or had my assessment of the components been premature. I tried to regulate the iRC (impulse room correction) but as life-like as the SQ of the instruments sounded, the limitations were unavoidable no matter what I tried.

Back to recordings I am familiar with that I know are well produced. Ah, it's better. Conclusion, the UA additions enhance the sonic qualities that are well done and enhance the limitations that is limiting, e.g., compression, louodness etc. The more things change the more they remain the same. The limitations is not that of the UA components, rather, the production quality.

Conclusion: My assessment of the W4S Dac2 DSDse has not changed except that I discovered that its capacity for rendering what it is fed with highest fidelity is superb. And until the introduction of the UA components, I did not know how excellent it renders music. It truly accentuate the positive (and the negative -- what else is new?).

The UA components are fabricated with excellent build, materlals and performance potential. Once introduced to my system as "was" the JS-2/MMK/ eliminated the negatives and latched on to the affirmatives by enhancing the positives with performance enhancement at a high level and are worth the price. The Regen Amber messes with In-Between by enhancing signal integrity. The addition of the Regen Amber, alone, in my opinion, is not as pronounced as with the addition of the JS-2 and MMK powering both Mac Mini and Regen Amber and regulating through the sensor in the JS-2 the Mac Mini's Fan Controller which produces noise and mitigates the SQ.

I could not be happier with the results and once again send my heartfelt appreciation to EJ Sarmento for a wonderful Dac that has been steadily improved with updates, his preamp with similar modifications, with Sonic Studio's latest edition of Amarra Symphony with iRC (special mention to HQPlayer) and now to Alex Crespi and John Swenson with their wonderful UpTone Audio components, the synergy that results is extraordinary. Together they are playing my song!

Thank you for your attention,

Richard

Correction: Paragraph 5 below should read as follows,

My seating arrangement is straight-forward: Mac Mini to Light Harmonic's LightSpeed USB cable (0.8M, standard, the red one, Male A connector) to Regen Amber with solid adapter (Male B connector) to W4S Dac2 DSDse to W4S STP-SE Stage preamp to Bryston Electronic 10B Crossover, high pass to W4S SX1000 mono blocks, Low pass with frequency cards set to 55Hz to the JL Audio F112 (X2 in mono mode), W4S SX1000 (X2) to KEF Reference 107 (circa 1986).

Just to clear up my omission.

Best,

Richard

Correction: Paragraph 5 below should read as follows,

My seating arrangement is straight-forward: Mac Mini to Light Harmonic's LightSpeed USB cable (0.8M, standard, the red one, Male A connector) to Regen Amber with solid adapter (Male B connector) to W4S Dac2 DSDse to W4S STP-SE Stage preamp to Bryston Electronic 10B Crossover, high pass to W4S SX1000 mono blocks, Low pass with frequency cards set to 55Hz to the JL Audio F112 (X2 in mono mode), W4S SX1000 (X2) to KEF Reference 107 (circa 1986).

Just to clear up my omission.

Best,

Richard

In 2011, when I started in computer audio and with Wyred 4 Sound components, I quickly realized changes in synergy would make a significant difference in rendering the quality of music I sought to make happen. I do not want to offend anyone who chose a different solution. But Receivers and the sound they provided were not satisfactory. Neither were AV processors. I decided on 2 Channel sound after years of multi-channel for both HT and music.

In that pursuit, here's another perspective and a short story about making needed changes that result in happy outcomes that is part of the grand picture of change and accomplishments from problems that invite solutions to achieve those highly-desired outcomes. The relevance to choice of Dacs, and other implementations of innovative design synergies becomes even more curious.

Given the diversity at CA of members' choices for what synergies deliver the sound/music quality/enjoyment is varied in desirablity.

What prompted the following was a typo I sought to correct. I decided to relate some of the background in time and experience and input from highly competent innovators like EJ Sarmento, Alex Crespi, John Swenson, Art Noxon...

This post starts with:

Yigads! One more correction: Bryston Frequency Cards for their 10B Electronic Crossover at 80Hz (delivered when new) were replaced with 50Hz (NOT 55Hz) frequency cards which James Tanner, himself provided for a very reasonable price).

Or is it the other way around, 50 replaced with 55Hz. It's been several years and the order has become confused.

You may find the following of interest (or not), therefore, read, peruse, ignore as you care to:

The reason for the change in the frequency cards was made manifest by the "expert" who sold me the Bryston and advised me to purchase a non-adjustable (low pass/high pass) fixed XrossOver. Hence any changes that became necessary required a change in frequency cards (8 of them) rather than turning a dial setting for the pass frequency. I did not know this in advance (my lack of experience).

When Art Noxon of ASC researched my KEF Reference 107 speakers, he realized that given my listening room's ceiling height of 8'6" by 22' by 13.4', with the new JL Audio F112 (X2 in mono) the bass signals at 80Hz were crashing against each other in succession (impulse response control?) and as fate would have it, my KEF Reference 107s (circa 1986) were designed with the woofers inside the cabinet and set at a height inside the cabinet that for my ceiling height could handle the bass frequencies down to 55Hz. With the Bryston set to 80Hz, and the discomforting and highly irritating "bass boom" from the node in the room because of the ceiling height and characteristics in timing of the bass, the two solutions that Art concluded would work to eliminate the "bass boom" were as follows:

1. Set each F112 on a stand 51inches in height. My KEF Reference 107 are 46 inches in height. The F112 weigh 115 lbs. With the F112 raise to top height of 51 inches the appearance of the F112 would look imposing and at that height and weight should any untoward event occur, LOOK OUT! Or,

2. Change the frequency cards of the Bryston for low pass from 80Hz (originally supplied) to 55Hz and that would accomplish the same compensation for timing of the signals and eliminate the crash of signals bouncing off the ceiling into one another. Bryston did not offer 55Hz but offered 50Hz (or is it the other way around? I forget), and that would work.

The choice was an easy one. Change the frequency cards which cost me less than $100 for all eight (thank you James) and the Sound Anchor stands for the height specified by Art would have cost several multiples of $100 each; and the appearance would have resembled a wall and taken over the room's appearance (in a similar appearance that room treatments would have also upset the ambiance of the listening room).

et Voilá! Bass boom was eliminated with the change in frequency cards. In the same way, ostensibly, when Sonic Studio announced that iRC was then offered with Amarra Symphony, the ability to regulate the Filter Gain as a correction for impulse room control also succeeded in removing bass boom imposed by the production quality for some recordings that re-introduced bass boom at certain gain settings.

I am carrying on about this because I thought my own experience might offer a perspective that could be useful to others contending with certain acoustic room anamolies that can be corrected in several ways.

Similarly with the UA components, the JS-2, MMK, Regen Amber, Fan Controller regulation contribute to bass refinement, signal integrity in the acoustic forms of clarity, dimensionality, tone, timbre, sibilance, soundstage, blackness, air, PRaT etc., etc.

Similarly, choice of USB cable also affects the above, as other members have complained about harshness when introducing the Regen Amber to their system. And a mitigation or elimination with a change of USB cable or the addition of a SP/DIF converter or different cable interface, i.e., AES.

In the past, I looked to the W4S Dac2 DSDse/preamp/amplifiers and/or the software player as the culprits, but I was looking in all the wrong places. The W4S Dac2 DSDse like the UA components, refines the sonic signature thus enhancing the sound quality, details of the recorded signals and quality of resolution (versus Hi-Res the higher the better as the reason for better fidelity).

These innovative designs and implementations manifest the refinements, regulation, and ultimately contribute dramatically to my enjoyment of music. Change the synergy and differences result. Differences that are favorable or unfavorable. The proof is in the pudding. At this time in my system's design and synergy, the improvements are discernible. The best it has ever been. That's good enough all over again.

Best,

Richard

image.jpg

It is taking me forever to get the $$ set aside for the upgrade to SE. I'm thinking of just getting the DSD and Femto.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

It is taking me forever to get the $$ set aside for the upgrade to SE. I'm thinking of just getting the DSD and Femto.

Hello KDinsmore,

Appreciate your challenge. I regard cost vs performance based on different criteria then place the equation over the common denominator of amortization, e.g., the cost divided by time.

Obviously, I do not know what is required for you to finance the cost differentiation, including what that cost (requires of you) means to you to accomplish. I imagine the issue(s) are not whether the cost is worth the upgrade, which, in my opinion it is, but what, how, when to make it happen.

My experience does not include the "Dac2 to DSD/Femto Clock upgrade" versus the "Dac2 to Dac2 DSDse". In other words, I can not compare the Dac2 DSD/Femto Clock with the Dac2 DSDse. I regarded the upgrade from the Dac2 to the Dac2 DSDse to be the equivalent of purchasing a "new" Dac2. I saved for it with the help of my wife, who I paid back.

I realized in very little time that after the upgrade, my W4S STP-SE preamp was not up to the SQ quality performance delivered by the Dac2 DSDse upgrade. And communicated my discernment to EJ Sarmento. In time, the Stage 2 upgrade to the STP-SE preamp was offered which promised to compliment the Dac2 DSDse upgrade in upgraded level of performance. I saved for that. The Stage2 upgrade, in my opinion, accomplished the upgraded level. Not even close.

I am sure my recount only serves to support the overall findings of others who did make the upgrade and decided after the fact it was a definite improvement. The differences were discernible and substantial. Could another brand of Dac deliver the equivalent quality of SQ for less? Pretty sure there's a threshold for reaching "Good enough" (subjective as that threshold is sensory specifically) with different price points.

Ultimately, the value is a personal decision for you to make as well as how to "get there". Merely offering you support in the only way I can. Would I wait for as long as it takes? Honestly, I think I would have. Other solutions? I think there is, but, I do not have the experience to recommend. I'll trust that only you can sort this out in a way that works for you.

Guess, I have come full circle to what end? Perhaps, to make it happen when you can. I adhere to the following Presupposition: The Universe is programmed to serve you.

Good fortune with whatever you decide.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

DAC-2 DSD Upgrades:

Asynchronous USB input supports up to 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD64 + DSD128

Improved audio quality through USB input

USB 2.0 compliancy & ASIO 2.2 (Drivers support for Mac and Linux systems)

Galvanic isolation

DAC-2 DSDse Upgrades:

Asynchronous USB input supports up to 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD64 + DSD128

Improved audio quality through USB input

USB 2.0 compliancy & ASIO 2.2 (Driverless support for Mac and Linux systems)

Galvanic isolation

Custom Vishay Z-Foil resistors (0.1% tolerance and a +/-0.5ppm/°C)

Femto Grade Clock (82 fSec phase jitter)

Ultra-low noise discrete regulators (100+ times quieter and faster than the stock regulator)

Ultra-fast recovery Schottkey diodes

Premium grade inductors

Rhodium plated Furutech fuse

Green OLED display for input, sample rate, volume control, and configuration viewing

Correction: The actual Presupposition that I live the action of is as follows: The Universe is programmed to assist you (NOT serve). IOW: Put out to the Universe what you highly-desire, and matters come forward to assist you. Serve you implies that you only need to ask for whatever you want whenever you want it. Assist is more a collective matter that includes cooperation and taking personal responsiblity for where one and the World-at-large make it happen versus expect it to happen.

Excuse the didactic. I feel responsible for what I advocate.

Best,

Richard

Correction: The actual Presupposition that I live the action of is as follows: The Universe is programmed to assist you (NOT serve). IOW: Put out to the Universe what you highly-desire, and matters come forward to assist you. Serve you implies that you only need to ask for whatever you want whenever you want it. Assist is more a collective matter that includes cooperation and taking personal responsiblity for where one and the World-at-large make it happen versus expect it to happen.

Excuse the didactic. I feel responsible for what I advocate.

Best,

Richard

Nice Philosophy! Ask with intent & enabling "forces" will work in your favor.

Nice Philosophy! Ask with intent & enabling "forces" will work in your favor.

Precisely! And another Presupposition (this one I created.): Intention Is A Pathway. Intention may be highly overrated when used by some as an excuse for NOT following through, e.g., "I had the best intentions, but..."

Yet, when one takes personal responsibility and accountability for following through, Intention starts one on a path towards a highly-desired outcome; Intention starts one (opens the gate) along a pathway; and, on that path, making corrections, as needed, to the actual accomplishment. One presupposes the highly-desired goal (outcome) is ecological and within one's control. As Miracle Max is known to say, "Rush a miracle maker and you get lousy miracles..." (Smile)

Tying it in to EJ Sarmento's creation of the Dac1 followed by the Dac2 and the upgrades that followed to the DSDse edition serves as an excellent example.

As medicine (setting goals and outcomes), Intention starts one off along a pathway to making Miracles (successful outcomes accomplished that reproducible) through magic -- taking action and following through to the accomplishment.

Excuse my enthusiasm for what I do when not listening to music, as what I do gets the best of me started.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

While there is a great deal of chatter about the UA components (UpTone Audio) and the results when added to one's system, the prevailing consensus focuses on a variety of responses and results that include UA components or a combinatiion of UA and other components, e.g., JS-2 powers Mac Mini through MMK and Regen Amber, or Regen Amber is powered by Mean Well SMPS or a third party LPS (other than UA's JS-2) etc., etc., etc.

It would appear that if one enjoys their present Dac's SQ, the UA components compliment the quality of SQ and improves on that quality from other perspectives that enure to better SQ, e.g., more clarity, refinement, instrument voicing.

Therefore, it makes sense that the best edition of one's Dac (the model that performs the best) is a worthwhile investment. That is: The baseline for improvement commences starts with the best performing Dac model. Add the best possible power supply, cabling that satisfies one's preferences for SQ output, isolation/decoupling devices that add further enhancement and the results are discernible.

The threads that are developing from posters' experiences are expanding as a resource for what delivers that satisfies one's criteria for enjoyable music. There appears to be less or little or hardly any "snake oil" criticisms and more a concerted effort to inform each other about the variety of combinations of components that actually deliver.

As always recommended, check out the recommendations that attract you and are offered at price points you can budget for, and/or, find alternatives that approximate or replicate the desired results at different price points. For example, some members are not prepared to expend for UA's JS-2 LSP. But there are other LPSes available for less that deliver acceptable performance. As good as becomes relative. Better than requires experimentation. Good enough ultimately is in your province.

The possibilities expand geometrically. Read the threads on isolation and discover the different approaches, materials used, configuration etc., etc., etc.

Hence my reason, rationale, perspective for purchasing the best model (affordable) as a starting pointing. The degree to which adding a UA component or similar component by another fabricateur improves on that starting point (read component, e.g., source (computer, Mac or PC or...; software, OSX, Windows, Linux, other; music server, Auralic, Aurender, Meridian etc.) increases with the varieties selected from and the end composition, which can be changed at any time, anyway, any how.

Not that I need validation to feel my own report of findings are legitimate, it does help that we members who have dived into the pool waters of change are confirming each others' findings allowing for acceptable differences. If one is a doubter, or on the fence or fearful of wasting time and money or refuses to jump in unless their criteria justifies the change, the focus at CA, in my opinion, is targeted more on what improves rather than whether what improves is legitimate, though certain members who are regarded as objectivists (vs. subjectivists) remain in their camp. Wondering though if the impulses are lightening up for more possiblities to deliver better enjoyment.

That's a thought to wrap one's head around: Better enjoyment. It is very affirming to be able to join in regarding the big picture as actually big. The software players sound better as a result too. Still evolving of course and offering new ways of managing the sound and the music library, e.g., Roon, JRMC, Audirvana Plus, Muso, etc.We may choose different players in that assessment. The significance is the evolution of what we use to deliver our enjoyment of music.

I am enjoying the journey.

Best,

Richard

Has anyone tried DSD256 successfully with the DAC2-DSDSE?

I can get it to play from HQPlayer, but there is a faint low-level popping sound in the background that is not present playing DSD128. No buffer settings will alter the popping sound (tried 100ms default, 250ms & 50ms). CPU sits around 50% with DSD256 upsamping.

Hello Dean,

Honestly, I have played DSD256 downloads which I bought believing the W4S Dac2 DSDse is capable of playing given EJ Sarmento's email reply to my inquiry.

As you may know, the firmware does not show DSD256 but does allow for DSD64/128 to show in the OLED display window when playing those files. What shows in my display is 384 PCM. But never popping sound. And I do not upsample. I am actually playing a DSD recorded album at 256.

I have also tried to play DSD512 but NO SOUND emanates from my system and according to EJ our Dac should be able to render these files at that resolution. Haven't been successful with that.

Sorry if not very helpful. And given what you are experiencing and how you are getting there and with what, I doubt I could be helpful.

Even though I keep up with the HQPlayer threads, it's still hit or miss (sometimes) whether how I set HQPlayer to perform easily. But I eventually hit on a setting that works with/for the W4S Dac2 DSDse and displays correctly. I have been meaning to email EJ and inquire if there is any chance for not only a clarification about DSD512 but also whether there will be an effort to update the firmware to display DSD256 when being played. After the holiday.

Have a safe and happy July 4th.

Best,

Richard