IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Has anyone done a comparo to the full upgrade vs. USB upgrade?

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Thanks for the reply regarding the lesser upgrade Richard. I have a buddy who did just get the DSD upgrade. He maintains it is quite a difference as well. The I2S stream to me seems to be the largest factor here but of course I'm guessing!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I think there will be a review soon. Maybe Headphonia or AV guide or Absolute Sound?

• 1 month later...

Side-stepping here. I owned a 1974 BMW 2002 for 12 years. A fun car for sure. Remember then when no one knew what a BMW even was? I was going to school at Univ. of Utah then and a few of those around but people used to stop and ask what it was. Plus driving on the roads people used to flash their lights at you if they had one...........sometimes wild waving...........Now Starbucks-sipping-texting-while-driving-let's-go-shopping-for-sport people own BMW's. You can never go home again.........Buy a Tesla!

• 2 weeks later...

If we could only get a better case on the DAC2 I'd be supremely happy!

• 1 month later...

I've covered this before but has anyone seen/heard of refinishing the case to this. I would like to paint it bright red like the Light Harmonic DaVinci.http://www.lightharmonic.com/images/galleries/da_vinci_dual_dac/Da-Vinci-Red-07.jpg

I guess I'd have to sand the daylights out of the case to get it smooth. Clint told me it isn't a super smooth metal to start. Once there, prime, paint, sand, paint, sand, buff.

I've corresponded with Clint more than once on this subject and yes buying the unfinished case etc. By the time I bought the case and refinished it I just thought it better to perform this on my own. I don't "think" removing the case would change anything. Just a few screws here and there.

My ambitions are totally aesthetic. I love the DAC, just not the looks. Something more in design would have been cool but I can get by that because the sound is first and ultimately looks don't matter. But a better color to me would wipe quite a bit of that all away. Too bad this isn't an anodized Al case. That would be pretty cool too. Someone with their own CNC jump on that and get back to me please!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I looked at the review, saw it wasn't Lavorgna and skipped it. Why review all these DAC's but use a different reviewer? No sense. Whenever I see Benchmark brought up I'm done too. I love Stereophile but they are stuck in digital mud somehow. They'll review mega$$ DCS system and then state something like the Auralic is 90% there of some such thing. Let's not forget that the Audiostream reviews are subjective with no bench testing meaning=an impression. If JA bench tests the W4S then I'll be reading. Otherwise its just some guy who writes online no differently than what we post up here.

Greek Pulse has a Femto clock and it is around $1K

It seems everyone is sporting Femto Clocks these days. Is W4S truly thinking of this as an upgrade?

Yes it is. Upgrade for me in the next six months (would've been much sooner but life happened)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder what the reviewer from AudioStream would have to say about the Femto Clock upgrade. That review bothers me because all the DAC's reviewed should be on the same system with the same reviewer otherwise it is too subjective.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard,

I too own W4S DAC2 but haven't been able to upgrade yet(had health issues last year for myself and one in the family that cleaned out my bank account-fine now health-wise) but will do it sometime this year. My question is have you ever listened to a MSB Analog or Briscati and how the W4S stacked up against those. Thanks!

Keith

Thanks Richard. I want to go full boat DSE+Femto. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Keith

I am really interested how the USB sounds. I've read others who own this and all incredible.

Dear Member Users,

I just placed an order for an in-home-trial of the LightSpeed USB cable, the standard single A to B model (red) as opposed to the dual A to B model (white). Length of cable I chose is 0.8m. Price for the LS USB cable is dear ($999.) should I decide to replace the SR Active SE USB cable

I called Clint Hartman just to run by which model he thought might be optimal. Given the W4S Dac2-DSDse's configuration, separate power and a small amount of power derived from the Mac Mini's USB, he felt the single A to B was fine. Had EJ Sarmento been available I would have also run the models by EJ just for his opinion. Clint thought EJ would most likely concur with Clint's assessment.

In any case, I will report back when I have had sufficient time listening through the LightSpeed USB cable. Glad I have the hours of plat-time on the Femto Grade Clock modification. For me this is a departure as I have been using Synergistic Research cables since 2011. There have been so many positive assessments/endorsements from members and credible professional reviewers, the timing for this in home trial with no freight charges to and from and a waiver of the 5% deposit/account credit, I decided the timing was now. The arrangement occurred at Light Speed and I should have one in a day or two.

To be continued...

Enjoying the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11862[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...

Anything new on the DAC front with the LH USB?

• 1 year later...

It is taking me forever to get the $$ set aside for the upgrade to SE. I'm thinking of just getting the DSD and Femto.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
According to their email announcement it will be! States that the BF sale is from November 18th to December 4th with special pre-sale prices (even lower than BF pricing) on selected gear each day until then. It specifically states that the new v2 series DACs will be included in the BF sale, but no details on the sale pricing. Details on the v2 DACs here.

I'm in trouble now!

Is it possible to upgrade my current W4S Dac-2 DSDse femto to new Dac-2 v2 SE?

Doesn't look that way.