IGNORED

New Benchmark DAC1 HDR

Hard Disk Recorder

Almost an all in one solution :)

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Introducing the latest in a line of products from Benchmark that pushes the envelope of the digital to audio converter. The DAC1-HDR, short for High definition and resolution, brings the DAC1 line way out of the box with "insert famous opamp maker here" operational amplifiers, the latest delta-sigma AKM DACs, implemented in a new and extremely high upsampling rate of 2.4 Terahertz configuration.

Was that a pin dropping? No, that was a hydrogen atom losing an electron. For the first time ever, with the DAC1 HDR you can actually hear movement at the Quantum level. Ahhhhh, the symphony.:)

CD

Judging by the double stack of LEDs next to the input selector, I'm guessing that it is a 24/192 DAC....

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

The DAC1 PRE has those, indicating which input is selected.

The only differences I see in the faceplate between this and the PRE is the shape of the two cutouts and the dot that Chris mentioned.

16/44.1 source material, ripped via EAC to WAV. Linux (Fedora 10) machine -> USB -> Headroom Desktop Headphone Amp (Max DAC, Max module) -> Sennheiser HD650

Well everyone knows that modern day audiophiles expect their preamps and CD players to have a remote. The old Pre DAC was lacking a remote.

All the previous Benchmark DACs have a red dot. I guess an illuminated red dot will make it easy to see the approximate volume level from the comfort of your lazyboy chair.

so maybe U= upsampling or Ultrawide?

A =??? maybe asynchronus??

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Benchmark Media Unveils Their Flagship DAC1 HDR with Remote Control

SYRACUSE, New York, April 09, 2009 - Benchmark Media Systems, the designers of the award-winning DAC1 family, has announced the release of their flagship stereo preamplifier, the DAC1 HDR. The DAC1 HDR incorporates several of Benchmark’s proprietary designs: the AdvancedUSB computer audio interface, the DAC1 digital-to-analog converter, and the HPA2 headphone amplifier. It builds on Benchmark’s DAC1 PRE with the addition of a unique remote control solution and motorized volume potentiometer.

“The DAC1 HDR features a custom-built, motor-driven Alps volume control,“ says John Siau, Vice-President of Benchmark Media Systems. “Our approach to remote volume-control is unconventional, since we were not satisfied with either the dynamic range limitations of digital volume controls or with the distortion and noise introduced by IC-based analog volume controls. Our customers should not have to sacrifice clean and transparent sound to enjoy the convenience of remote control. The DAC1 HDR delivers performance and convenience.”

The remote control of the DAC1 HDR controls on/off, input selection, volume, soft-mute, and adjustable dim level. The user can adjust the “dim” volume setting and the “normal” volume settings independently, and the DAC1 HDR will remember those volume settings. This feature targets the HDTV users, who may want to lower the volume during commercials without losing the normal volume setting.

The DAC1 HDR main unit is similar to Benchmark’s DAC1 PRE in form, function, and performance. It can connect to a digital cable box, HDTV, DVD/CD player, computer, music server, satellite radio, FM tuner, phono stage, VCR, etc. The DAC1 HDR will be available with both black and silver faceplates.

"We are incredibly excited about the DAC1 HDR’s remote control solution," said Elias Gwinn, application engineer. “The custom volume potentiometer maintains the full sound quality, and the unique dim settings give the user unprecedented control.”

Benchmark will begin shipping the DAC1 HDR the week of April 20, 2009. Price is $1895.00 USD.

More information about the DAC1 HDR is available at:

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/DAC1-HDR

High resolution photos of the DAC1 HDR are available at:

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/DAC1-HDR/photos

• 4 weeks later...

High Dynamic Range

(http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/New-Benchmark-DAC1-HDR#comment-16510)

Just for fun, looking at the current banner showing up at CA, telling "High Dynamic Range volume control", I guess this was correct.

Didn't I win one, or anything ?

hahaha

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

• 1 year later...

This is a wonderful website buddy and an informative post!!! i am new here and i found this site very interesting and informative ,, you are a professional blogger i think i have a great interest in such things…thank you for the post buddy and keep on posting nice stuff like this in future as well.