IGNORED

Lightpipe - please explain

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me in real simple terms what is lightpipe? What is the difference between lightpipe and Toslink - is it that the protocols are just different? And can lightpipe support 96Khz?

Monty

Location: Manchester\'ish - UK. System: iMac, YellowTec PUC2 Lite, Genelec 7270A sub, 2 x 8240A monitors, a Drobo and Vovox cables.

Hi Monty - I couldn't have said it better myself, so I'll refer you to Wikipedia.

Lightpipe uses fiber optic cables (hence its name) to carry data, with Toslink connectors at either end, making them identical to S/PDIF optical cables. However, the data streams of the two protocols are totally incompatible. S/PDIF is mostly used for transferring stereo or multi-channel surround sound audio, whereas the ADAT optical interface supports up to 8 channels at 48 kHz, 24 bit. Recently, Lightpipe devices have been successfully interfaced via FireWire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris...

When you say the data streams of the two protocols are totally incompatible - does that mean you can use a Lightpipe "cable" between Toslink / SPDIF interfaces, though obviously not to connect between a ADAT type Lightpipe and an SPDIF device?

To put another way - the Lightpipe and TosLink connectors are the physical layer which transport SPDIF or ADAT data.

I might have confused everyone more in requesting the clarification ... but hope you understand the question as I'm curious to know.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.