IGNORED

iTunes Settings

So I'm about to embark on my third ripping of my CD collection, this time for the last time. I am going to rip via my iMac using iTunes to an external drive connected via FW400. The settings I'll be using are:

Import Using: AIFF Encoder

Setting: Custom

Sample Rate: 44.100kHz

Sample Size: 16 bit

Channels: Stereo

Use error correction when reading Audio CDs

I'll be streaming wirelessly to an Airport Express connected via optical to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. I'll be controlling the whole thing with my iPod Touch w/ Remote App.

Any other settings I need to tweak in iTunes to get the best sound?

Please don't derail this thread by getting into debates about Mac v. PC, AIFF v. WAV, WiFi v. Ethernet.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

HAH! Thanks markr! I made the mistake initially when I had a non-Apple MP3 player and a PC of ripping my entire CD collection to WMA. When we "went Mac" I didn't want to take marginal sound quality files more...marginal by having iTunes automatically convert them to AAC so I decided to re-rip 700+ CDs to the universal MP3 format.

This will hopefully be my last time ripping as AIFF is nearly as universal as WAV and just as perfect from what I've read. I'll be using a second 1TB drive to back up the main one so that it is my last time ripping the entire library!

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I HIGHLY recommend SuperDuper! for your backup needs. I use it with my two 1TB drives and it works great. I partitioned my backup drive so I can backup my Mini OS and also backup my music files which are on a 1 TB drive.

Hope this makes sense.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

In audio midi (Applications->Utilities->Audiomidi), set the sample rate to 44.1, volume to 1.0 or 100

In iTunes,

set the volume to 100 or max

turn of the equalizer

turn off sound check, sound enhancer, cross fade in preferences->playback

Hope this helps!

CD

I have ripped and reripped my CDs many times.

One thing I have learnt from this is a little trick. It is a little bit of a fiddle but it stops itunes ever losing album artwork. I always take a copy of the album artwork (usually from Amazon) and paste it into the file with the aiff files whilst I am ripping.

When i move my itunes files to a new Mac or PC all my album artwork is rebuilt. Do it once and you never have to do it again.

In fact only today I once again moved my very large itunes file to my new MacBook and all my album artwork was there. Happy Days

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

From my research ...

All USB and Firewire drives are compatible with Time Machine.

Very few NAS (network) drives are compatible with Time Machine out of the box and without hacking.

An external USB drive connected to the Apple Time Capsual can be used at the target for a Time Machine backup.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.