IGNORED

Article: The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio

Great article and wonderful comments on a very interesting topic.

ATM I'm using a SB Touch with EDO with USB output to my Cantata. I spent quite a lot of time with USB cable comparisons (which I shared on this forum) just to find out that the Cantata works with Upnp. I'm thinking of comparing this option with the Touch+AQ Diamond USB, but would have a few questions:

1. can I use a wireless access point like the Netgear WNCE4004 near to the Cantata and only use a short Ethernet cable? I already use this with a Roku and 1080p files work perfectly without a glitch, as does 24/192 with my SB Touch on a 5GHz n-draft wireless network.
  2. does the Ethernet cable have an impact on sound like I have experienced with USB cables?

I would be using a PC that is in my office and that stays on 24/7. It's the same computer that I use for the Roku/Plex and the Touch. I also have a Nexus 7 that I would use as a control point.

Any input will be more than welcome.

Best regards

André

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

The Netgear should be fine as a wireless bridge.

There should be no difference between Ethernet cables.

Eloise

Thanks, Eloise

Theoretically there shouldn't have been a difference between Spdif and USB cables, too, right? :-D

Best regards

André

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

double post

Actually there are reasons to explain SPDIF cables and (to a lesser extent) USB.

Ethernet is better isolated and a packetised protocol. Then the computer buffers and reassembles the packets. If the cable influences this then something is seriously wrong!!!

Anyway my experiences, knowledge and reading all suggest there is no difference between Ethernet cables. If you find you're happier with a "audiophile" Ethernet cable then I will just tell you that you should use what makes you happier when listening.

Eloise

Eloise,

Like always, I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

I'm always looking for the best sound, so first I will obviously try first with a common cat6 cable against the Touch+USB and see how that goes.

OTOH please don't forget that when spdif and later on usb showed up the perceived (and real) differences only where explained afterwards. I still remember that there were a lot of theoretical explanations as to why "bits are bits". ;) So even though, like you, I prefer to think that Ethernet won't make a difference, time has taught me to be cautious. :)

Best regards

André

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you guys know that after quite a lot of tweaking I got my Resolution Audio Cantata working wirelessly with UPnP. Here's my chain:

Win7 64 bit PC (on 24/7)>foobar2000 UPnP server (from bubbleguuum)>Netgear R4500 (router)>Netgear WNCE4004 (wireless adapter)>RA Cantata

I'm using UPnPlay as Controller.

This way I'm able to use it similar to the way I've been using my SB Touch.

Now I'll compare with the Touch to see which of both fares better. Will be using stock USB cable on Touch and Rosewill Cat7 ethernet cable on Cantata.

Let's see how that goes.

Best regards