IGNORED

Article: The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio

Hello Everybody,

I don't really understand the advantage of these new protocols like UPnP/DLNA upon the "ancient" method of playing digital audio, even in HR, with players/management softwares on PCs and/or MACs using DACs and servers. If someone can tell in few words what is improved by these new protocols... Thank in advance for this.

Actually UPnP was around before the widespread use if USB based computer audio - so maybe UPnP is the "ancient" method :-)

I'll also start my reply that I think Chris sets up UPnP in a very different way than I would consider - I would suggest a NAS with UPnP server or a off the shelf PC with large HDD running Windows + Asset UPnP or Vortex box with MinimServer then controlled directly with an iPad or Android device. Introducing J.River and J.Remote smacks of try to design a mouse and ending up with an elephant...

Anyway; there are a few advantages (IMO).

First off; the removal of the computer from the listening room: yes something like a CAPS can be silent but at a cost. IIRC to buy a pre-assembled top level CAPS is around $1800 compared with a few hundred for a Dell off the shelf with 2TB HDD.

Next; it removes the (general purpose) computer from the direct audio path. This avoids all the pitfalls and setup issues with configuring Windows or MacOSX. No longer do you need to worry about Audirvana vs Amarra vs J.River; or WASAPI vs WASAPI Event Mode vs ASIO. Just plug the network in one end, analogue in the other (or SPDIF to your DAC) and you get music ... Pretty much.

Third control options... Well that's where things become woolier; many people will prefer the control offered for J.River et al over the UPnP control points. Personally I think with UPnP you need to make sure your metadata is consistent and accurate. That is more important than with traditional computer applications.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

No, you don't use UPnP with that setup...

I have a system that uses many of the devices discussed in this thread, but I don't have a clue if I use or if I need UPnP or DNLA. Here's what I have:

Qnap Nas

Cap3 pc server running JRiver software

Audio system with Dac connected to the Caps3

iPad running JRemote control software

The Nas and Caps3 are connected wired Etherenet. All my music is in flac format stored on the Nas. Eveything works perfectly, and I use the iPad with JRemote to select all my music.

But when I set everything up, I don't remember doing anything with UPnP or DLNA.. I just store all my media files on the Nas, and JRiver looks at the Nas as its library for all the music. So am I missing some kind of functionality, or doing something wrong? I feel like I may have missed a step of some kind, but I don't really understand what DLNA or UPnP would do in addition to what I can already do with my system.

Thanks for helping!!!

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Thanks. Under what conditions or changes to my setup would UPnP or DLNA become needed or beneficial?

UPnP / DNLA would be used if you had a separate (network attached) player/renderer such as Linn DS, Naim ND, Sonore Rendu, etc.

UPnP is also useful if you want one central store with multiple players around the house.

Eloise

Eloise

---

The Netgear should be fine as a wireless bridge.

There should be no difference between Ethernet cables.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Thanks, Eloise

Theoretically there shouldn't have been a difference between Spdif and USB cables, too, right? :-D

Best regards

André

Actually there are reasons to explain SPDIF cables and (to a lesser extent) USB.

Ethernet is better isolated and a packetised protocol. Then the computer buffers and reassembles the packets. If the cable influences this then something is seriously wrong!!!

Anyway my experiences, knowledge and reading all suggest there is no difference between Ethernet cables. If you find you're happier with a "audiophile" Ethernet cable then I will just tell you that you should use what makes you happier when listening.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I do try to stay out of cable discussions...

Eloise

---