IGNORED

Article: The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio

This s a great discussion that follows up an amazing summary that anyone who is working with CA could use to save a lot of work/confusion.

I have experience through a few options: started with squeezebox system, took a long while but got things going smoothly; with concerns about the longterm survival (which subsequent events supported) it went looking for replacement, went with LinnDS & Asset upnp. New learning curve but a little easier the second time around.

Today, I still have both systems with a Windows Server running both LMS for squeeze and Asset for Linn. But, I listen to most of my music through a CAPS server pointed to the server only to deliver the files. I think it sounds better than either system. It's a very different approach, right? Async USB into a DA rather than analogue into the preamp from the 2 earlier boxes. It runs very smoothly, pretty much glitch free.

The bonus: JRiver is the best tool for accessing a library (including large Classical Collection) than the prior tools, at least IMHO. No experience with ITunes, though. I don't love using a laptop to RDC into the CAPS box but it works great. Tablet options so far seem much less flexible.

What's next?

Actually UPnP was around before the widespread use if USB based computer audio - so maybe UPnP is the "ancient" method :-)

I'll also start my reply that I think Chris sets up UPnP in a very different way than I would consider - I would suggest a NAS with UPnP server or a off the shelf PC with large HDD running Windows + Asset UPnP or Vortex box with MinimServer then controlled directly with an iPad or Android device. Introducing J.River and J.Remote smacks of try to design a mouse and ending up with an elephant...

Anyway; there are a few advantages (IMO).

First off; the removal of the computer from the listening room: yes something like a CAPS can be silent but at a cost. IIRC to buy a pre-assembled top level CAPS is around $1800 compared with a few hundred for a Dell off the shelf with 2TB HDD.

Next; it removes the (general purpose) computer from the direct audio path. This avoids all the pitfalls and setup issues with configuring Windows or MacOSX. No longer do you need to worry about Audirvana vs Amarra vs J.River; or WASAPI vs WASAPI Event Mode vs ASIO. Just plug the network in one end, analogue in the other (or SPDIF to your DAC) and you get music ... Pretty much.

Third control options... Well that's where things become woolier; many people will prefer the control offered for J.River et al over the UPnP control points. Personally I think with UPnP you need to make sure your metadata is consistent and accurate. That is more important than with traditional computer applications.

Eloise

Yes; more of an Android person, but I've used JRemote on a V1 IPad and Gizmo on Android Tablet both. But so far they don't seem to allow the kind of selection flexibility from the Panes I have set up with the JRiver app. Am I missing something??

Thanks

Hi gfrnd - Have you tried JRemote?