IGNORED

Audirvana 1.5 Beta

Always so interesting to me how we can debate the theoretical here endlessly, but our day-to-day specific decisions are made on practical grounds (e.g., "the DAC accepts 192kHz without problems, but has frequent hiccups with 176...").

Yep. I'm actually a bit annoyed about the 176 issue, and was eventually going to complain to Exposure, but on the other hand, I barely have any files in this format, so it is not a big practical issue.

Does the 1.5 beta work with the new version of iTunes released yesterday? I see some reports of problems in another topic, but it is unclear if it is with the 1.4, 1.5 or both.

As with any new release, I would wait until it is proven. I have read comments that iTunes 11.0.3 breaks iTunes integration so I would hold off.

I tried the 1.4.9.9 Beta for the first time and definitely noticed a sound improvement over 1.4.6 (still undecided which one I like better but leaning toward the Beta). Problem is that with iTunes integration I am getting a small (half second) stutter of the incoming track on normal play through. Is this a known issue?

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

I have been using the remote app on my ipad to control itunes in integration mode with A+. I stupidly upgraded to itunes 11.0.3 and now the remote doesn't work as well as it did. In particular, the ability to use the remote slide to select a different part of a track no longer works and the |<< button only works intermitently. I upgraded to A+ 1.4.9.9 and the problem still exists.

Thanks Apple!!

Is there any chance you could look into this, please Damien?

Many thanks

Peter

Problem is that with iTunes integration I am getting a small (half second) stutter of the incoming track on normal play through. Is this a known issue?

As noted earlier in this thread, deselecting the 'Deactivate play position control by iTunes' option seems to solve the issue for the most part. I am still getting the occasional hiccup at the beginning of a new track during continuous play in iTunes integration mode, but far less frequently.

I'd love to get to the point where I can ditch using iTunes altogether! I've always experienced superior sound quality and stability in Playlist mode. An iOS/Android control for Audirvana would be a kiler App!

The more I listen to 1.4.9.9 the more I feel this is the best sounding version yet!

DE.

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

I have not experienced any issues with the new version of iTunes interacting with Audivrana + which I use only in iTunes integrated mode including the use of the Remote app.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
As noted earlier in this thread, deselecting the 'Deactivate play position control by iTunes' option seems to solve the issue for the most part. I am still getting the occasional hiccup at the beginning of a new track during continuous play in iTunes integration mode, but far less frequently.

I'd love to get to the point where I can ditch using iTunes altogether! I've always experienced superior sound quality and stability in Playlist mode. An iOS/Android control for Audirvana would be a kiler App!

The more I listen to 1.4.9.9 the more I feel this is the best sounding version yet!

DE.

That does indeed eliminate the little click I heard between tracks.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Dumb question alert!!!

I'm using AV+, 1.6 with a MacMini & Young DAC. At the moment using it integrated with iTunes.

So the Dumb question is how do I set it up so that I'm using AV+ in stand-alone mode?

Reading here that the SQ is a bit better than when it's integrated into iTunes.

Matt.

From the Audirvana drop down menu, uncheck 'iTunes Integrated Mode' and restart A+. The player will then start with a Playlist Window rather than launching iTunes. Tracks and Playlists (even Folders) can then be added to this list window and played directly. You do not need to have iTunes open play music this way. As several have noticed, it does seem to have slightly better SQ as a standalone player.

From the Audirvana drop down menu, uncheck 'iTunes Integrated Mode' and restart A+. The player will then start with a Playlist Window rather than launching iTunes.

When I uncheck the A+ "iTunes Integrated Mode", it goes right into playlist mode without having to restart A+.

At least that's true with 1.4.9.9 in my system.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...Any possibility to get a LastFm integration in playlist mode ?

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

...Any possibility to get a LastFm integration in playlist mode ?

It's on the wish list of the playlist mode enhancements :)

But no short term promises for this one.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

I've just released 1.4.9.10 that, in addition to bring an update to account for iTunes 11.0.3 compatibility issues, brings:

• Optimized processing for stereo streams (SRC & AU) on multichannel devices: no need to force stereo only when not using audio units realtime configuration to benefit from enhanced speed, and compatibility with stereo only Audio Units
  • Fix tracks not moving from one to another when using CoreAudio SRC
  • Fix for crash with some non Integer Mode compatible devices
  • And other minor bug fixes

It is available at the same place: Download Audirvana Plus BETA | Audirvana

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

I've just released 1.4.9.10 that, in addition to bring an update to account for iTunes 11.0.3 compatibility issues, brings:

• Optimized processing for stereo streams (SRC & AU) on multichannel devices: no need to force stereo only when not using audio units realtime configuration to benefit from enhanced speed, and compatibility with stereo only Audio Units
  • Fix tracks not moving from one to another when using CoreAudio SRC
  • Fix for crash with some non Integer Mode compatible devices
  • And other minor bug fixes

It is available at the same place: Download Audirvana Plus BETA | Audirvana

Damien

Salut Damien,

Any fix to iTunes DJ mode with A+? The song selected under iTunes DJ is never the same actually being played by A+ in Integrated Mode.

Open Activity Monitor... Is Audirvana Plus to use the processor intensively NOT the operating system or others sw.

My experience is like most others. My 2011 mini barely breaks a sweat while listening to A+. Here is a screen shot of a file loading into memory (on the left side) and typical CPU load while playing (on the right side).

Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 9.48.13 PM.png

As you can see, A+ is minor load in comparison to the other programs that I am running simultaneously. It works great on my modest head phone rig with all the other processes running. Though now that I think about it... maybe I need to knock off all of the other processes for the stand alone difference to really shine. So far, that difference has not been as huge for me as it seems to be for others here.

1.4.9.10 in playlist mode: The very first track now starts with delay, not at the beginning of the track.

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya

1.4.9.10 in playlist mode: The very first track now starts with delay, not at the beginning of the track.

Addition: 16/44100 files, no up sampling, AU not active.

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya

everything is working fine here

(with iTunes 11.0.2)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Open Activity Monitor... Is Audirvana Plus to use the processor intensively NOT the operating system or others sw.

and here's A+ 1.4.9.10 upsampling 2x a 44.1 track:

Remote Desktop.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

everything is working fine here

(with iTunes 11.0.2)

Another bug that I've noticed - when trying to play a physical CD, A+ displays the following message:

"Error: Unable to grab exclusive access OSError=!goh"

This has never happened before - what gives?

Works fine here.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Addition: 16/44100 files, no up sampling, AU not active.

Working fine here. Audirvana 1.4.9.10, iTunes 11.0.3 *or* playlist mode.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I think there is a small bug in Audirvana Beta (1.4.9.10). When in integrated iTunes mode the last track has finished iTunes ends correctly but Audirvana never ends, hanging on the last few seconds. Manual ending is necessary.

Software version are OS X 10.8.3 iTunes 11.0.3 and Audirvana 1.4.9.10.

I think there is a small bug in Audirvana Beta (1.4.9.10). When in integrated iTunes mode the last track has finished iTunes ends correctly but Audirvana never ends, hanging on the last few seconds. Manual ending is necessary.

I hadn't noticed that, since I always stop playback manually anyway, but you're right - same behavior here.

In my case, playback would stop on the last few seconds of the song, so I deselected deactivate itunes play position and it was fine.

By the way, iTunes + A+ Integrated crashed on me yesterday. I think i was experimenting with sample rate changes by selecting different albums with different SR.