IGNORED

Need Help Ripping DVD Audio

ehrawn

I am having some trouble ripping a 24/96 DVD-A to my library. Most of the threads here suggested DVDAExplorer. I tried using both the OS X and Windows versions without success. When I try to "open" the .ifo files on the DVD, nothing happens. So I tried using DVD Decrypter to rip the files to my hard disk, and, again, was not able to "open" the .ifo files. Then I tried ripping in IFO mode. This left me with a WAV stream of the audio and a file that could not be opened in DVDAExplorer. Even though the WAV stream wasn't broken up into tracks, I thought that I could at least convert it to AIFF via Max so that I could save tags to the file. However, Max just errors out when I try to convert the file (no error code- it just starts the conversion and then... nothing). iTunes handles the conversion just fine, but, of course, I'm left with a 16bit file after the conversion. What am I doing wrong?

I know a lot of the Neil Young CD+DVD releases include 24/96 versions on the DVD, but the DVD is not a DVD-Audio disc. I looked this particular disc up and it APPEARS to be a DVD-Audio disc, but I was surprised to see that the DVD had video on it as well. This would be an unusual thing in the DVD-Audio world.

My theories are either 1. It doesn't meet the DVD-Audio spec, or 2. the video portion of the DVD is messing with the DVDAExplorer software.

Not sure either one are correct but they are my only guesses at the moment. Do you have any other DVD-Audio discs?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I don't have any others. The equipment I own isn't revealing enough for me to justify purchasing hi res music. The only reason I have this disk is because it came bundled with the CD.

The video on the disk is a trailer for the Archives box set. When you play the album portion, however, all that is displayed is a picture of Neil with some snow animation. When I did the IFO mode rip in DVD Decrypter, I only got the album portion.

Does anyone have any tips on settings for DVD Decrypter? Also, why won't Max do the conversion to AIFF?

You're probably right, Chris. That's a bummer, but it seems like there should be a better way to get the audio stream off the disk. Even if I can't get the WAV files converted to AIFF, I would at least like to break the album into tracks. Do you know of a way to do this?

MPlayer for OS X

On Linux this is also usable from the command line as a ripper and format converter / resampler (just using it today), so I imagine it does similar things on OS X. I have no idea if it supports DVD-Audio (as opposed to DVD audio 16/48).

16/44.1 source material, ripped via EAC to WAV. Linux (Fedora 10) machine -> USB -> Headroom Desktop Headphone Amp (Max DAC, Max module) -> Sennheiser HD650

I didn't have luck with MPlayer. If I was a little better with terminal, I probably could have figured it out. DVD Audio Extractor worked perfectly. Unfortunately, its trialware and I don't own enough DVDs to make it worth buying it. Thanks for the help. Another satisfied customer of Computer Audiophile!

I didn't have much luck with DVD Audio Extractor. First of all, it seems to work only on DVD video discs to extract out the audio. I tried it with the only AIX disc that has ever given me trouble when using the DVD-A Explorer program.

The AIX Beethoven/Respighi disc has 9 music tracks. The DVD-A side did not work with DVD Audio Extractor, but the DVD-V side did. The result was 42 tracks of 24bit/48kHz WAV files, which was somewhat confusing. The process worked, but many of the tracks had clicks and pops.

By contrast, with DVD-A Explorer I was only able to extract out 2 of the 9 music tracks into 2 channel stereo at 24bit/96kHz from the DVD-A side of the disc. This was unusual since DVD-A Explorer has successfully extracted all my other DVD-A discs (just a total of 5) to 24/96 tracks and they sound wonderful.

But for some reason I can only play the tracks extracted with DVD-A Explorer with foobar2000. Neither MediaMonkey, XXHighEnd, or iTunes are able to play these files.

There is no error message with iTunes, but with MediaMonkey I get a "waveOut output v2.0.2a error - An invalid parameter was passed to a system function - Error Code:11". With XXHighEnd I get a "Check file format error message - 16bit Crack Detect". By contrast, the DVD Audio Extractor files play on all my player software.

Unless I can resolve the DVD-A playback problem, I may be stuck with keeping foobar as one of the many players I use. Please no more, but perhaps that's wishful thinking as I continue to look for the best sound, flexibility, capabilities and features.

The other weird thing I noticed today is that the sample rate on my Juli@ card seems to be only correct for XXHighEnd. For some reason with all the other players the Juli@ mixer is showing a 192kHz sample rate regardless of the sample rate of the audio file. I don't know if this is something new or I just noticed it. Fortunately my other two computer music servers are working fine.

I just downloaded dBpoweramp and ran my extracted DVD-A files through the program. All my players, iTunes, MediaMonkey and XXHighEnd now play the converted ripped DVD-A files. Whether I like the sonics of the converted files to the original file playing through foobar2000 is something I will have to investigate later.

The result was 42 tracks of 24bit/48kHz WAV files, which was somewhat confusing. The process worked, but many of the tracks had clicks and pops.

and

With XXHighEnd I get a "Check file format error message - 16bit Crack Detect"

I am not sure whether the first quote was about the same as the second quote applied to, but if so something is wrong in the header in the first place. The "16 bit" in de XXHighEnd message denotes that.

Otherwise, IOW when this was about a 16 bit file indeed, the XXHE message tells that the data is not correct. It is more likely though, that the header is wrong, and therefore the data is interpreted incorrectly.

Note that when a 24 bit file is detected, the XXHE message should say "24 bit Crack Detect ...".

HTH

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

The other weird thing I noticed today is that the sample rate on my Juli@ card seems to be only correct for XXHighEnd. For some reason with all the other players the Juli@ mixer is showing a 192kHz sample rate regardless of the sample rate of the audio file.

You said this before I think, and although I cannot be sure, this could be a help for explanation :

First of all I use the Juli@ myself lately, and one of the virtues of it, is that it shows the sample rate used (read : received). For me this obviously is important, because if XXHighEnd should output a sample rate, it must do that corectly. So, first thing is : I never saw that the Julia@ is doing that job incorrectly. This goes along with : when I do something wrong, it shows as wrong in there.

From this you should derive, that when it shows 192KHz, it just is so. Ok ...

What you could do, is go to the Sound Device Properties, and go to the Advanced tab. There is this combobox, and chances are fair that it shows a 192KHz option (as the chosen one). Is that so ? then change it to e.g. 96KHz, and play something again with one of the players which showed the 192KHz.

Do they show 96KHz now ? ... then you are not playing in bit perfect mode. So, or you use one of the "normal" playback means of Vista, or you use WASAPI in Shared Mode.

Note that XXHighEnd (Engine#3) just is not able to play in shared mode, because I ripped that out. So, Exclusive Mode only.

Please let me know what came from this test, because I think it is useful information, for both others and me myself.

Thanks,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

PeterSt, it's exactly as you said. The Advanced tab in the Sound Device Properties had the default set to 2 channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality) checked.

What I don't understand is why XXHighEnd is the only player to automatically adjust the sample rate to match the source resolution. Are you saying that when I use MediaMonkey, iTunes or foobar2000, I need to manually change the sample rate of the Juli@ to match the source resolution?

I don't have this problem with the Lynx AES16 card in my other computer with MediaMonkey that automatically adjusts the sample rate. What's strange is that the Juli@ console shows 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/Auto settings. I guess I don't know how to set the Juli@ sample rate to Auto.

The Juli@ manual says:

"Select ‘AUTO’ to match the sample rate of the played audio source automatically (a red light shows that AUTO is on). Deselecting Auto mode allows you to set the sample rate manually (red light AUTO is off)."

Well the red light is on but the sample rate only matches the Sound Device Properties and not the audio file playing. Furthermore, I don't seem to be able to select or deselect the Auto mode.

Do I have to use DirectWIRE on the Juli@ or is there something else that's missing? I didn't use DirectWIRE because I didn't understand it and it didn't seem necessary.

I too never was able to deselect Auto, but then - what to do that for ? So I never really tried.

What I don't understand is why XXHighEnd is the only player to automatically adjust the sample rate to match the source resolution.

You must think the other way around; In those cases it is not adjusted, there is something else dictating it, and it is Vista. But try to understand : it is not the samplerate in the card as such which does or does not need to be adjusted, it is the data which doing this is (first) !! The soundcard is just following nicely, and if it wouldn't you'd regularly have slomotion or micky mouse through the speakers (or worse if the bit depth wouldn't be followed).

The remainder is quite simple : if you see 192K on the card, it is fed with 192K. If you see 44.1, it is fed with 44.1.

What feeds it ?

D. The last step is Vista;

C. The one but last is Vista's "mixer" (only there in Shared Mode);

B. The second might be an SRC in the software (like Secret Rabbit in Foobar);

A. The first is the playback software.

When A is 44.1 and D is 44.1, C still may be there, but in that case in the Advanced Tab of the sound device properties you'll have set 44.1. If C is there (hence whether you're playing in Shared Mode), can be derived from the next :

When A is 44.1 and D = 192, B may be doing that, but then you have to be sure C is out of the way, or otherwise that will be doing it AGAIN (Advanced Tab's setting will be 192 in that case).

When A is 44.1 and D = 192 and B is not there, it *will* be C doing it (Advanced Tab's setting will be 192 in that case).

When A = 44.1 and D = 96 and B is not there it *will* be C doing it (Advanced Tab's setting will be 96 in that case).

When A = 44.1 and the advanced tab's properties denote 192, but D = 44.1, C *must* be out of the way and you are playing in Exclusive Mode.

When XXHighEnd is the only one showing the behavior of the last above, fine. But then the others just are not (not fine).

I hope this is clear a bit !

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

I am sure I am being a dunce about this.

I am trying to rip Fleetwood Mac Rumours (Please note Warner Bros I own the DVDA and will always own it, just want to use it on my computer so not trying to rip you off or anything!)

I can find the files and complete a 'succesful extraction' to WAV just the files won't play. They just play for 1 second, produce a spitting sound' and start again!. The File size is correct and my dbPoweramp Tag Editor tells me they are 96Hz/24 Bit WAV files etc etc.

I am using itunes on a vista PC, which plays other high res files just fine, and my trusty Lynx L22.

What have I missed here!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

The fact that your metadata is fine (DBPoweramp says it's 24/96, etc.) is, of course, a good thing, but sounds like iTunes is a problem, or your Vista sound preferences are mucked up. A couple of questions:

*Did you pick the correct (Audio_ts) folder and not some AC3 one or something?

*Did you rip the correct group (i.e l/r stereo)? Although frankly I'm not sure why, even if you ripped one of the 5.1 group sets, it wouldn't play past 1 second....

Could someone with this Rumors DVD-A confirm that it has a separate stereo group (not just a 5.1 one that is downmixed by the player)? I've found that a few (Natalie merchant comes to mind) don't have a stereo group (title 1, etc.) and if you accidentally rip the 5.1 stuff then the software players will, of course, throw up. These are lame ideas, but all I've got, given your issue.

I have have rechecked the dbPoweramp tags and they are showing a very short play time 0.39ms but the file size is what I would expect.

This is strange because the ripping time is again what I would expect.

On this basis i think that itunes or vista are not the suspects.

Is this something to do with the anti piracy built into the DVD-A or watermarking. I am not using the 4C12 stuff mentioned in the user manual. ?

I am riping the right tracks (Audio_ts) and using L/R tracks not multichannel. (stereo L/R are easily identified from the multichannel groups).

I will continue trying......

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

blueixus, I had some luck using dBPoweramp to convert a semi non-playable WAV file into a new WAV file that was fully playable. I would try that or perhaps convert to an intermediate format before converting back to your original or desired format.

PeterSt, thanks for your help and detailed explanations, especially since the problems are with other media players and not yours. I am going to assume that the problem is with the Vista mixer, if that’s what you associate with changing the default sample rate in the Advanced tab properties in the 64-bit version of Vista.

I assume XXHighEnd works perfectly since you bypass the Vista mixer. So whatever default rate I set in the Advanced tab, the Juli@ with XXHighEnd always reports the sample rate of the source audio file. For now, with the other media players I will manually set the sample rate in the Advanced tab like I have to do on my Mac with iTunes.

Thankyou all for your help.

I moved DVDA Explorer to my old XP laptop and it worked. Thank you Vista!

I have now managed to Rip my much prized DVDA of Sinatra at the Sands - 192kHz 24Bit, used DBpoweramp to convert the Wave File to AIFF, tagged everything and it all sounds fantastic.

It still amazed me how poor 44.1kHz at 16Bit is!

Thanks to Chris and everyone that lent a hand, very happy now.