IGNORED

Need Help with importing music files off deck top into iTunes

Vangelis

I'm doing something a little out of my iTunes comfort range. For the first time I've just converted several 24/96 DVD files with DVD Extractor on to my desk top, good so far So go, then I dragged them on to my open iTunes program, again good so far so good. The files now show up on iTunes as I wanted (24/96 AIFF files) and they play file but I five problems that aren't so good:

1. These files didn't show up on my out board drive as they always do when rip.

2. The files are also not on any iTunes or other music file in my Mac Mini's drive.

3. I don't know where theses files are playing from.

4. I want to clear them off my desktop but.

5. I obviously did not import them correctly and need some help in how to solve this.

Any help would be appreciated.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Zenith MKII SE> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>Holo May KTE DAC>Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Focal 1008be speakers or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

The first thing I would have thought of is that your external drive was not booted up when you opened iTunes and then it would have defaulted to your music folder on your main drive but you say they are not there. Select one of the songs in iTunes that is missing and then select Get Info. At the bottom of the window that opens it should show you the file path.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Not much to add to mwheelerk's reply above, but will try anyway:

1. My best guess is that when you use the iTunes "Get Info" command as suggested, it will report your files as being the ones on your desktop.

If so, my suggested next steps:

1. Still within iTunes "Get Info", check that the metadata is the way you want it.

2. Switch to Finder, go to your outboard drive (where I assume you keep your music?), create the folders you want to store your files (usually one folder for artist, and a subfolder for album... basically as per the other folders you will already have on this drive).

3. Copy your files from the desktop into the album folder you've just created.

4. Import the files back into iTunes from this location. If you like you could delete the previously imported files from iTunes before doing this, otherwise you'll have duplicates and will need to use Get Info again to confirm which to delete.

5. Once you can confirm (using good old Get Info again) that the files showing in iTunes are the ones on your outboard drive, you can safely delete the originals from your desktop.

Hope this helps, sorry about it being a bit long winded. There are other ways of achieving the same result and / or setting up iTunes so that it moves the files about for you... But my best guess, based on your description of the situation, is that this will give you then end result you want.

You were both right the "get info" shows the path back to the deck top. I apprecate you idea on how get the music into folderscon my exteral drive, but there must be an simpler way or HD tracks wouldn't be any selling music. I really want to add / manage these files only via iTunes. *I have never had any issue with I tunes other when I tried working with music folders directly in my external HD , it made a mess of my library and confused iTunes. So now I do as several people have instructed *me and I never manage iTunes music or folders out side of iTunes to keep from corrupting my library.*

"Keep iTunes Media Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" boxes are not checked. * Many people recommend they should be selected. *Pure Music is adamant that these boxes should NOT be selected or metadata *(art work) won't be *embedded in the external HD. This may not be my *problem with importing *but any help would be appreciated. *

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Zenith MKII SE> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>Holo May KTE DAC>Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Focal 1008be speakers or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

1. These files didn't show up on my out board drive as they always do when rip.

2. The files are also not on any iTunes or other music file in my Mac Mini's drive.

3. I don't know where theses files are playing from.

In itunes playlist, secondary click on whatever song, then select "show in finder"

Untitled.jpg

You were both right the "get info" shows the path back to the deck top. I apprecate you idea on how get the music into folderscon my exteral drive, but there must be an simpler way or HD tracks wouldn't be any selling music. I really want to add / manage these files only via iTunes. *I have never had any issue with I tunes other when I tried working with music folders directly in my external HD , it made a mess of my library and confused iTunes. So now I do as several people have instructed *me and I never manage iTunes music or folders out side of iTunes to keep from corrupting my library.*

"Keep iTunes Media Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" boxes are not checked. * Many people recommend they should be selected. *Pure Music is adamant that these boxes should NOT be selected or metadata *(art work) won't be *embedded in the external HD. This may not be my *problem with importing *but any help would be appreciated. *

I sure do appreciate your dilemma. ITunes is a good program (on the mac anyway) but the file management is something that we all seem to agonise over without finding a perfect method that works in every situation. At least they give us a choice within the program, but that's a bit like saying "just work it out for yourself because we, the programmers, can't".

The method I described should sort out your immediate problem, but my instinct is that in the longer term you might find it easier to re-check the "Copy files to iTunes..." and "Allow iTunes to manage..." and thereafter try to avoid using the finder to move or rename the music files and folders in your designated music folder. Removing the files in a download folder (within the finder) should then not be a problem, although personally I do recommend making a backup of the files, exactly as downloaded, on a separate disk.

Regarding the advice from Pure Music - they are very clever and knowledgable so it's not to be dismissed out of hand - but I agree that it may not be directly relevant to your problem.

If you get more adventurous with iTunes, try visiting Doug's Applescripts for iTunes, which has a whole variety of applescripts geared to streamlining some tasks that are otherwise tricky or time consuming. Quite a few address artwork embedding issues.

It wil come as no consolation that if you later decide to move your music library to a Time Capsule or other NAS device, so as to access it from various computers in your home, you'll probably have to re-think everything all over again!