IGNORED

My AIFF files on my iPhone sound terrible when I play them in my car through the ipod jack

I ripped my CDs to itunes in AIFF. They sound great playing through my Benchmark DAC 1 Pre. When I put them on my new iPhone and played them in my car using the integrated ipod jack, they sound harsh. They also sound bad playing on my Shure earbuds or Bose QuietComfort headphones. I don't have this problem with my old ipod. Could the DAC on the iPhone be worse than the old ipod DAC. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

That's a good question and I think your thoughts are right on. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Do you have the volume maxed out on the iphone when you use it in the car? Since it's a phone Apple more than likely didn't bother with a good internal DAC like the ipod which is mainly a listening device.

david is hear[br]http://www.tuniverse.tv

I play my AIFF and ALAC files from my iPhone in my car and through my Grado headphones and I think it sounds pretty good. I have heard that the DAC in the iPhone and latest iPods is not as good as the older ones but I would think it should still sound ok. I don't know what the problem would be. I do know that if I go with low bit rate AAC versions of some modern recordings they can sound harsh.

ADM9.1s ,2.0 Ghz Mac Mini, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray player.