IGNORED

Benchmark DAC2 vs. exaSound e20

I am about to upgrade my DAC but have an unusual requirement in that I live in two countries: China and the US...mostly in China these days. Therefore anything that I purchase would need to have 120 and 220 V capabilities. The Benchmark DAC2 has this. Also the exaSound e20 appears to have a 12V DC power input, I assume from a seperately supplied wall wart or such. Therefore for the e20 I could purchase a linear PS that could take 220 and 120, or two seperate ones, one for for each country.

Currently I do not have DSD files, but both units appear to take this format.

Has anyone tested both these units and would be able to comment on their SQ? I listen to a wide range of music: rock, jazz, classical, opera, hip-hop, acoustic, ... everything.

Thanks in advance for your input and advise.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I just finished comparing both of these units, along with the Mytek 192DSD, on a 30-day home trial. I kept the Exasound.

The Benchmark was solid, but, to my ears, the Exasound was better in most every way: more dynamic, more liquid and more detailed.

I'm planning on posting my complete impressions this weekend.

CAPSv3 Carbon running Jriver -> Audioquest Carbon USB -> Exasound E20 -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference -> Simaudio W-5 -> Acoustic Zen Satori -> Dynaudio Contour S3.4

This info might be totally useless, but I compared the Benchmark to the Invicta last month, and I kept the Benchmark. To my ears, in my system, the Benchmark sounded almost analog to me. It had an ease and neutrality that just did it for me. The Exasound is very well regarded, but I was interested in an integer capable unit for audirvana, and I don't believe the Exasound is integer compatible.

I am about to upgrade my DAC but have an unusual requirement in that I live in two countries: China and the US...mostly in China these days. Therefore anything that I purchase would need to have 120 and 220 V capabilities. The Benchmark DAC2 has this. Also the exaSound e20 appears to have a 12V DC power input, I assume from a seperately supplied wall wart or such. Therefore for the e20 I could purchase a linear PS that could take 220 and 120, or two seperate ones, one for for each country.

Currently I do not have DSD files, but both units appear to take this format.

Has anyone tested both these units and would be able to comment on their SQ? I listen to a wide range of music: rock, jazz, classical, opera, hip-hop, acoustic, ... everything.

Thanks in advance for your input and advise.

2012 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 (2.3 GHz, 0SX 10.9; 60gb SSD; 16gb RAM, Battery Power, Battery Buss) > Audirvana Plus > Uptone Audio Regen > Monoprice USB cable> PS Audio DirectStream > W4S ST 1000 > Shunyata Talos > B&W 804S

I just finished comparing both of these units, along with the Mytek 192DSD, on a 30-day home trial. I kept the Exasound.

The Benchmark was solid, but, to my ears, the Exasound was better in most every way: more dynamic, more liquid and more detailed.

I'm planning on posting my complete impressions this weekend.

Looking forward to this especially regarding the Exasound! Also, for the OP, I would think that the size of the Exasound would be attractive.

Happy owner of a DAC2, not sure I can really compare but presence is there no doubt. With Foobar, DSD64, no issue here, grabbed some sample here: High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH. However, DSD128 is not yet supported (who cares really at this point)

The device is compatible 110/220 with standard power cable. Build is very professional. I dont think you would regret it. If you cant afford it, consider MyDAC for $300 or Juli@ soundcard, amazing value for $100

• 4 weeks later...

I own an e20 exaSound for quite a while already. Can share only positive emotions - this DAC is neutral in sound reproduction. This is exactly what I was looking for. If someone needs different sound, try to play around with varioous tracks (tube amplification, for example)

e20 exaSound - HD800 - Genelec 1030A