IGNORED

iTunes library out of memory

I admit to not being clear about iTunes technicalities so I need some guidance for using my 4gb MBPro/external 500gb hd iTunes 8.1. I have started getting "Out of Memory" errors when paging thru iTunes' 318gb (5703 "songs"). Am I correct that paging in Cover Flow view is more memory intensive than List view? It happened when I was trying to add some artwork. It's disconcerting as I plan to build a much larger library. What file(s) load into ram when itunes is in use? Can't iTunes shuffle stuff in and out using the drive as memory -- like Photoshop?

Hi coot - Something is not working correctly. I have about 20,000 songs in one library and have never seen an error like this before. I page through cover flow all the time without issue.

Download this widget that will tell you about your memory utilization among many other neat things. iStat Pro

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Thanks for the widget - very useful.

I put Activity Monitor up beside iTunes and tried a LOT of clicking to emulate selection of tunes. Memory use definitely climbs but only gradually. You'd have to do a hundred or so clicks to have problems. Starting a new session resets it, of course. I was working for whole days at a time in one session importing cover art and reviewing -- much more navigation than in a normal listening session for sure.

So, coot, you've closed and reopened iTunes and this got rid of this error? In that case it sounds like iTunes claims a lot (A LOT!) of memory when you're doing "library building" and you need to close it occasionally to free up that space. Is that what you've found?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

My suggestion would be to take a look at the Activity Monitor every hour or so and if the yellow segment of memory usage is over 50% I would close iTunes and re-open.

Here's the message I got:

"The iTunes library cannot be saved. There is not enough memory."

This is on a MacBook Pro w/4mb RAM. Bear in mind I am no Mac expert and this is my first attempt (and hope only) at building a large library in iTunes -- so far it's taken the better part of 4 months with lots of re-keying as my cds library is 97% classical. As you may know, half the internet data downloaded (cover art and filenaming) is just a mess. I photographed the actual album covers just to be completely anal about it. Needless to say, the backup disk is going to the safe deposit box tomorrow!!