IGNORED

Ayre wants $1.5K for DSD'ed QB-9

Dear Paramedic,

First of all, thank you for the job you do every day. Being a paramedic in NYC can NOT be an easy job -- but every day you save people's lives. When I was struck by the motorcycle, I suffered double pneumothorax. If I had not been taken to the hospital within two to three hours by the paramedics, I would have died.

Thanks for the kind words. It's really a job like any other, whether you're a baker or an analog audio engineer. It's a thinking man's game and a labour of love.

There are so many variables that it can take a long time to find the right combination of components that will deliver sound that makes you feel good when you listen to your favorite music. I am glad that you have found a combination that you like. Please try the DSD updated version when you get a chance. I think you will like it even more!

I gave Ayre a call of couple of weeks ago but never got a call back. The second call I spoke to some non-technical person and it was unclear if I was on the list to get the upgrade. The only solid info I got was that I would have to ship directly to Ayre as my local dealer who I'd purchased from is no longer carrying Ayre products. That, and she said the tech fellow in charge of the upgrade program is spread thin.

I really would like to get the upgrade soon but feel silly pestering the folks on the phone. Maybe Ill call next week.

Thanks for the QB-9. Between the DAC, the Placette and my custom Alix Linux music server, I spend a lot less time on forums and more time in the sweet spot.

I really would like to get the upgrade soon but feel silly pestering the folks on the phone. Maybe Ill call next week.

Hello NYC,

There is a lot of demand for this and we have just added some people to help with production. The upgrade program isn't up to full speed yet, so expect to wait. But I would call or use the webmail contact page and get your name on the list. Do one or the other once a week until you get an acknowledgment. We still haven't found a good shipping manager candidate and the upgrade program manager has to do two jobs at once and is behind. But you definitely want to get your name on the list.

Thanks for your patience,

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

Charles, I'm not going to quote your lengthy response to the question re Toshiba JFETs - its one page back for those who havent read it - but all I can say is 'wow'. Major props for your background knowledge and dedication to your craft.

I gave you a hard time a couple of weeks back, and for that I sincerely apologise, as I may have mistaken passion for arrogance - anyone who goes to that much trouble (and expense) to ensure that they have an adequate supplies of a given part has my respect. This is something that very few of us take into account when we look at the sticker price on a given component - the attitude seems to be that anyone can place an order with Parts Express and build their own toys for a fraction of the price : more power to them, but for the rest of us it comes down to shiny toys on the shelf. I have no idea what you've got in the Ax7-e, and we've all read the reviews, but I know I *have* to hear that amp. The DAC market will sort itself out in the meantime, and I wish you every success with the revised QB-9.

Ned

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

• 2 weeks later...