IGNORED

M-Audio ProFire 610 a 24/192 DAC?

I just found the M-Audio ProFire 610, which claims to provide 24/192 from all I/Os. It runs on firewire when connected to a PC/Mac. I don't see any specifications that said the Firewire port is limited to 96Khz. So, does that mean this is the cheapest solution to 24/192 music compared to the Weiss and RME? Please correct me if I'm wrong, thank you.

Howard.

• 3 weeks later...

Howard,

Looking at http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire610.html it says:

"ProFire 610 allows you to enjoy full 24-bit/192kHz operation on all inputs and outputs simultaneously. ProFire 610 allows you to enjoy full 24-bit/192kHz operation on all inputs and outputs simultaneously"

In addition, I've just bought one to use as a firewire interface to play back 24/192 files with the Benchmark DAC1 PRE and perhaps the Berkeley Alpha in the future.

It seems like a bargain but I wonder how it compares to those firewire interface from Weiss. I've yet to test out its analogue output sound quality as it only provide TRS analogue output.

The profire610 does seem to be a bargain in its ability to play 24/192 files when compared to the RME fireface which costs around $1000. I have a Benchmark DAC1 Pre as well and that's why I like to know more about the ProFire610 because I'd like to play some 24/192 files too.

So far my DAC1 Pre is outputting 24/96 through optical from my Macbook pro. I'm still waiting for more reviews of the ProFire610 to justify the purchase since it's still a relatively new product.

I don't think the DAC1 Pre will be able to compare to the Weiss because the DAC1 up or down samples everything to 110khz I think. So some people doesn't consider the DAC1 as a real 24/192 DAC. I'm not sure about the Weiss products until I hear it, but right now I can't really afford one. So, unfortunately it will have to wait...

How do you like the ProFire610? Have you done any sampling on 24/192 files with your DAC1 Pre? If so, please write a review or something to let us know. I'm interested...

Howard.

My initial impression using 24/96 material and comparing Benchmark usb vs. coaxial (via Profire 610) they are very similar but the usb input seems to sound cleaner. When comparing 24/96 and 24/192 material through the coaxial input, the 24/192 seems to be slightly more detail.

I would recommend sticking to the usb input for 24/96 materials or try something like the Berkeley - which I'm looking forward to try.

You can download some very good quality sample from http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/?page_id=318 to try.

I haven't had a chance to test out the analogue output of the Profire 610 which I think should be very interesting. Its analogue output uses TRS (balanced) connection so I need to get some custom made cables (TRS to XLR) for that.

Any other comments out there?

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is over a year old, but did anyone ever get around to testing the Profire 610 as a standalone DAC? It certainly looks interesting and I like that I could possibly use it as a DAC and an ADC to make some digital copies of my vinyl. So it would be great to hear some feedback from anyone who has compared it to other hi-res DACs.

I bought that unit a month ago mainly for vinyl to digital, got fustrated with it, and returned it. my main gripe was the standalone mode, which to me a pain.

Got the E-MU0404 instead,and quite predictitable and much better sound. I also ended up buying the RME pci 9632 card. all I can say, the two of these together, awesome.

Winst.