IGNORED

Article: Dynaudio Xeo 3 Wireless Loudspeaker System Review

The only other remark I have is that lets not forget that these are essentially just Focus Excite arent they? Thats not a top end speaker. Then they added a £500 all in DAC, Amp and Pre Amp.

Far from it. The DSP and all the advantages of powered speakers with active crossover can make a mid level passive speaker a top end performer.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris - glad to hear it if that is true! I certainly understand the logic of active speakers totally! What is meant by DSP?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

DSP is Digital Signal Processing. DSP had made great advances over the years and can produce awesome results when done by great engineers.

Sorry, one final thing, is there any quality loss by the simple fact as a result of it being wireless, ie streaming?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

It's really impossible to tell because there's no way to listen without wireless.

Is there any scientific of theoretical reason that loss would occur? I don't see why there would be. Recently I consider streaming HD in people's televisions - I see no loss of quality there and that signal travels of hundreds of miles?!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much! I might put a formal email into them now to discuss the options in greater detail. I really appreciate the effort you have gone to. I like the idea of another transmitter, that makes a lot of sense, plus it can obviously be used for another set of speakers presumably one day?

This is probably a stupid question, but do I still need to go through an AV unit to get the TV and blu play sound? I dont care about surround and stuff, just want the 2 speakers. I assume AV is not necessary if I want a seperate sub?

I'd love to know if there is a way to add a separate sub without needing to add the components these wireless speakers obviate?

I'd like to add a sub as it would enhance movie watching, but wasn't keen on purchasing an amp and multi speaker setup.

• 1 month later...

I heard the Xeo3 the first time against Dynaudio Consequence with big Macintosh SACD/Pre/Power rig with some heavy Transperent cables in a quite big room (12x7 meters I guess from memory). And it was the small Xeo3's that impressed me the most! Three month later I heard them in a 20x20m room, playing against the Dynaudio Platinum, this time with some serious Chord system. And every time the Xeo where fed by nothing more or less then a humble PC or a cheap CD player!

I have bought these small wonders (don't think the Xeo5 are quite as good, especially in "disappearing" in the sound stage), and sold my Martin Logan Vantage, Lyngdorf amps, Gryphon CD player, Bertram and Nordost cabling, and never have been happier with my system (iMac, CrystalCable USB Dreamline feeding the Dynaudio Transmitter, Xeo3 fed by the new Ansuz power cables).

I also compared the Xeo3 to the (unamplified) and similar Ecxite (I think they are called that. It's the "same" speakers, just without the wireless and dsp and amp). That one sounded VERY boring compared to the Xeo3. So please have a listen when you get the chance. These truly are small wonders. And for all the money you save for amps, loudspeakers and cabling and stuff, you could get quite a lot of nice music, and still have some to spare for a good bottle of red, right?! ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You´ll not regret that, the sound is just so wonderful

Got to hear them, played Nils Lofgren, Keith Don't Go- live, and it just didn't do it for me. Listened to the same track on a Naim ND5XS via active Dynaudio DBM50 (£500) and the track rocked! Combined price around £2500, twice the price of the Xeo3 but 10 times better IMHO...

Cool, whatever feels right to your ears is the right decision ;=)

Best Regards

KnockKnock

Got to hear them, played Nils Lofgren, Keith Don't Go- live, and it just didn't do it for me. Listened to the same track on a Naim ND5XS via active Dynaudio DBM50 (kr4,501.96) and the track rocked! Combined price around kr22,509.8 twice the price of the Xeo3 but 10 times better IMHO...
  • 3 months later...

On May 11th in Munich, Dynaudio presented the succesor to the XEO 3/5 models with the 4/6 models. According to the press release and the web site the primary differences are 24/96 capability; direct controls on the speakers and a wireless range extender. No word on release date or pricing

Arthur E. Petersen, Jr.

• 2 years later...

An old thread...but I'm looking at picking up a new Dynaudio system. One option I hadn't expected was a demo XEO 3 (I have been looking at the XEO 2 and x14a).

My primary sources would be an iPhone with ALAC files, connected via the camera connection kit and direct into the Connect hub. Also my Mac (I'm guessing toslink would be better than USB?)

But what about Airplay via my Airport Express, rev 2012? Would this disappoint me considerably over the other connections?

An old thread...but I'm looking at picking up a new Dynaudio system. One option I hadn't expected was a demo XEO 3 (I have been looking at the XEO 2 and x14a).

My primary sources would be an iPhone with ALAC files, connected via the camera connection kit and direct into the Connect hub. Also my Mac (I'm guessing toslink would be better than USB?)

But what about Airplay via my Airport Express, rev 2012? Would this disappoint me considerably over the other connections?

I'm willing to bet the AirPlay option would be just as pleasing. There's a lot of DSP going on, so I'm not sure it will really matter between these two options.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for the reply. In Dynaudio's world, DSP is better SQ, right? Do you mean that the DSP is a SQ limitation, where differences are less likely to be heard?

DSP = Digital Signal Processing. This can be either good or bad. It depends on the implementation and proper usage. In this case, your audio sent from the iPhone is heavily processed by the Xeo 3 DSP engine to maximize sound quality. I'd say this is a good thing.