IGNORED

Do Apple Lossless files really sound the same as AIFF?

I too have a highly resolving system comprise of Burmester B80 speaker, 088 pre and 911 amp. I can tell the difference between apple lossless and AIFF! Apple lossless sounds thin even with A+!!!

I think it's due to computer noise (in signal) and jitter. Computer generates a lot of signal noise. When there is an extra computing step of decoding ALAC to AIFF, there will be more signal noise and jitter. That's why there are many OSX Optimisations scripts and suggested iTune settings for optimal playback. They are all aimed to cut down extra signal noise coming from unneeded computing processing.

This is why I modded my Mac Mini with a linear power supply. The original switching power supply generates a lot of signal noise! Now preferably, a computer used as a music server should be fanless because fans also generate signal noise. There is a power filter for fans, but it doesn't fit in a mac mini.

If you don't believe how even a tiny bit of signal noise can sound different in a high resolving audio system, I suggest you to play the same file on your computer and on Aurender X100, S10 or W20. They are essentially audiophile grade computers that cuts signal noise. (either from hardware or software). The W20 goes all out with battery for playback and analog stage output, evan has a input for exteral world clock to cut down jitter.

Mac Mini i7 with KECES DC-216 linear power supply->Weiss int 204 with KECES DC-216 linear power supple ->lyngdorf DPA-1->Burmester 088 Pre-amp->Burmester 911 mk3 amp-> Burmester B80 mk2 speaker