IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

Many have suggested numerous singers I admire.

I'll suggest Yasmin Levy, a Judeo-Spanish singer, whose voice may not be as fiery as Ofra Haza's but powerful. She sings in Spanish, Hebrew, Ladino and I believe in a few other languages.

Also, Agnes Jaoui, a French/Tunisian Jewish actress/singer who I find makes very melodious music. Listen to the CD Dans mon pays, Agnes Jaoui y El Quintet; one song in Portuguese, one in French and the rest in Spanish.

I hope you enjoy.

Gilles

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

Very good suggestions and reminders in this thread. I only miss The 2 Carmen Gomes albums ''Torn' and ''Thousand Shades of Blue'',which I resently downloaded from the Sound Liaison site.Lovely singer and repertoire and the sound is sublime.Miss Gomes and her band are one of the few of the younger generation of bands that dares to use silence as a part of their musical expression, like someone as the late Shirley Horn does so well.Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1SSS1%20Milan%20300.pngtorn.jpg

Funny you make the connection Carmen Gomes and Shirley Horn.

I had not thought of it,but dug out my old CD,''Light out of Darkness'' and compared Shirley's version of ''Drown in My own Tears'' with Carmen's version of'' Let's Go Get Stoned'' from the ''Torn'' Album,both Ray Charles ''covers'', and indeed same kind of laid back diction and letting every word have it's full length and the, no hurry, slowly building up the tune, with no musician playing more than the absolutely necessary, and yet getting more and more intense ever so slowly,keeping you at the edge of your seat.

You are right, miss Gomes must have been listening to a lot of Shirley Horn.

folder154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So many greats have already been mentioned! Here are a few I'd like to add...YMMV:

Lhasa De Sela

Morley

Susie Suh (Self-Titled)

Rachael Yamagata - Happenstance

Steph Johnson Trio - Nature Girl (Current Favorite Jazz vocalist/guitarist. Amazing SQ!)

Céu (Maria do Céu Whitaker Poças)

Sandy Denny (already mentioned)

Melody Gardot (already mentioned)

Linde Nijland

Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders)

Mercedes Sosa

Bebel Gilberto

Lisse

Kimbra

Sia Furler

Alison Sudol (A Fine Frenzy)

Florence + The Machine (Unplugged)

Tina Dico

Hope Waits

Sarah Bettens (K's Choice)

Bettye Lavette

Erin Bode

Rebecca Martin

Beth Orton

Holly McNarland

Imogen Heap

Skye Edwards (Morcheeba)

Sharon Jones (& The Dap Kings)

Fay Lovsky & La Bande Dessinée

Terri Lyne Carrington

Hello

A few from me that have my playlist lately

• Sade - Love Deluxe
  • Eva Cassidy - Songbird
  • Tracy Chapmen - Collection
  • Diana Krall - When I look in your eyes
  • The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight - Rock/pop, had to look up the lead singers name Nina Persson

Cheers Frank

I'm glad that you mentioned Eva, a great voice.

Also, Cookie Coleman, Joan Baez, an Prudence Johnson.

What a blessing to have women sing to us.

EDIT: Add Bonnie Bramlett to the list.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

My favs:

Heather Masse

Mindy Smith

Vienna Teng

Sally Ellyson (Hem)

Mary Chapin Carpenter

Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)

Rumer

Kate York

Hailey Loren

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 3 weeks later...

(Copied from the "Reference" CD thread)...

Well, a few people contacted me about acquiring a physical CD of "The Steph Johnson Trio - Nature Girl" disc that I recommended back in Post #81, so here is more information...

To purchase a physical CD, go to her web site at Steph Johnson Band (you must use a "desktop browser" (not a mobile browser) in order for the links to show up.

To receive the physical CD, you MUST use the "DONATE" button near the top right of the home page (near where the CDbaby & iTunes download links are and the small thumbnail of Steph's "Nature Girl" album cover).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11323[/ATTACH]

You need to Donate $20 (USD) to get the physical CD (this pays for the CD & shipping). Steph self-produced this CD, so that's how much it is just for her to cover her costs and to afford to buy a coffee. Read about it and find the other Pay Pal "DONATE" link by Clicking on the "NEWS" tab at the top of the web site, then read the section titled, "HELP STEPH RELEASE HER 3RD ALBUM!".

The CD comes in a very nicely/professionally printed CD holder/jacket with liner notes etc. It's not just a "burned CD-R" disc in a generic clear plastic case! Steph sends it to you directly, too! :) For reference, I own thousands of CDs, (and of course many more downloads) and I can sincerely say that this is one of my absolute Top Ten Favorites, so be assured, this CD is WELL WORTH the $20. And IMO, this isn't one of those CDs with just one or two outstanding tracks where the rest are just mediocre "filler". Every track is a gem here.

As a side note for further reference, I am a former drummer and saxophonist of 15 years, and the production quality and sound quality of this CD are amazing! Like a lot of us here, I also own A LOT of Hi-Res downloads from HDtracks, and MFSL/FIM/Chesky/Mappleshade/Telarc/ECM/DECCA/Naxos discs, etc. With this CD, Steph and the band are "in the room with you" (if you have a top-notch playback system).

If you enjoy female jazz vocals similar to Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, etc, I urge you to give this CD a listen...and even if you don't love this genre, it is a true reference/demo disc IMHO. And if you end up enjoying her music and the SQ of this disc, PLEASE, PLEASE share it with anyone and everyone who you think might be interested! I honesty feel that Steph and the Trio are amazingly talented, and I would like to help another "unknown" artist "get the word out". Also, if you are local to San Diego, CA (or even Los Angeles) Steph has several live performances each month. Here is one of the tracks from the "Nature Girl" CD...

Sorry for the slight derail...back to more amazing recommendations!

I completely agree on the Steph Johnson disc. If only every album was recorded this well. Dynamite sound quality...as true to life as you're likely to hear from recorded medium.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I completely agree on the Steph Johnson disc. If only every album was recorded this well. Dynamite sound quality...as true to life as you're likely to hear from recorded medium.

Thanks! Glad that you like it, SoundQcar! FYI, you can also just shoot Steph an email through her web site at Steph Johnson Band and she'll get you set up with a CD ASAP! She has always responded personally to all of my emails to her and is a true sweetheart...a very talented one at that! :)

Are you on any of the Car Audio forums as well? What setup do you have in your car? If you're interested, please take the convo to PM or email to keep this thread clean. ;)

Now back to more good stuff...

Funny you make the connection Carmen Gomes and Shirley Horn.

I had not thought of it,but dug out my old CD,''Light out of Darkness'' and compared Shirley's version of ''Drown in My own Tears'' with Carmen's version of'' Let's Go Get Stoned'' from the ''Torn'' Album,both Ray Charles ''covers'', and indeed same kind of laid back diction and letting every word have it's full length and the, no hurry, slowly building up the tune, with no musician playing more than the absolutely necessary, and yet getting more and more intense ever so slowly,keeping you at the edge of your seat.

You are right, miss Gomes must have been listening to a lot of Shirley Horn.

folder154.jpg

How about Julie London and Carmen Gomes ; Angel Eyes

[video=youtube;s-lvXMjvChI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s-lvXMjvChI

Carmen Gomes' version, listen in full here;

track 2;Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

Maybe Miss Gomes' version is more dark in the mood, more sad, but she must have been listening to Julie London or ? what do you think ?.

foto%20folder%202008.jpg

I must've read through this too fast. No one has mentioned Ella? Truly harD to believe. From intimate albums like the Pablo ones with Joe Pass, to Clap Hands, Here comes Charley, to almost any of the various Songbooks that she recorded.

another straight ahead favorite is Betty Carter, who I used to see several times a year. Incredible range, great chops, and she always "trained" a great combo backing her.

For a newer singer tHat I didn't see mentioned, there's Catherine Russell. I'd recommend Strictly Romancin' as a good introduction to her. Her albums all have a good mix of jazz, blues, and some soul.

Thalia Zedek (ex-Come, Thalia Zedek Band). raw, raw, raw. Songs of Love and Hate

Thalia-Zedek-en-concierto-en-la-sala-Becool-de-Barcelona.jpg

+1. Lhasa de Sela. What a beautiful voice.

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

How about Julie London and Carmen Gomes ; Angel Eyes

[video=youtube;s-lvXMjvChI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s-lvXMjvChI

Carmen Gomes' version, listen in full here;

track 2;Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

Maybe Miss Gomes' version is more dark in the mood, more sad, but she must have been listening to Julie London or ? what do you think ?.

foto%20folder%202008.jpg

Good observation. Had not thought it. I guess we all come from somewhere and she has obviously a number of influences, while still being completely unique.

Very good suggestions and reminders in this thread. I only miss The 2 Carmen Gomes albums ''Torn' and ''Thousand Shades of Blue'',which I resently downloaded from the Sound Liaison site.Lovely singer and repertoire and the sound is sublime.Miss Gomes and her band are one of the few of the younger generation of bands that dares to use silence as a part of their musical expression, like someone as the late Shirley Horn does so well.Thousand Shades of Blue (WAV)SSS1%20Milan%20300.pngtorn.jpg

I just wrote about Sound Liaison on the reference audiophile recording thread,but since so many members mention Carmen Gomes here, alow me to quote myself.

I just saw that the Sound Liaison label have come off theit high Horse and have started to sell Flac files as well. And the price has gone down too, from 20 euro to 12 euro for a complete studio master flac file. 24/96

I already have everything in Wav so no need for me to buy but for all you guys who do not care if it is the original studio master with no conversion(wav) or a converted file (flac), this a really good offer.

Thousand Shades of Blue (FLAC)

SSS1%20Milan%20200%20FLAC%20v2.png