Patti Smith

Aimee Mann

Sharon Von Etten

Charlotte Gainsbourg

Morcheeba (the woman singer)

Shortwave Set

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The women from The Dirty Projectors have some lungs

I love Gillian Welch of course but have a definite preference for early Emmylou Harris

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Oh, and also Rosanne Cash, particularly The List.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Oh, and also Rosanne Cash, particularly The List.

Agreed, tho' I'd recommend "The Wheel" and "Black Cadillac". Also, Iris Demint and, especially, Jonatha Brooke are at the top of the heap, IMO, when it comes to emotional connection (albeit their tone is nowhere near is sweet as many others).

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Wow.. some nice female voices have been added here. You might also want to check Buika (she's called Concha Buika) - an amazing spanish singer. Her voice has an extraordinary texture. I recommend 'Nina de fuego' (Wea 2008) album for starting. My favorite song (and an excellent demo/sampler song) is 'Mienteme bien'.

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Hi John, I have albums of Concha Buika. I like them a lot. She has an amazing voice and a very specific way of sound and performing

Naim152xs - Naim150xs - Naim FlatCapxs - Naim ND5xs - Epos Epic 5 - QNAP 219 Nas

Here are a few more to go with the ones already listed.

Folk:

Red Molly "James"

Good Lovelies

Good Lovelies "Let the Rain Fall"

The Wailin' Jennys (all of their albums)

Lucy Kaplansky

Jazz:

Lizz Wright

Deborah Cox "Destination Moon"

Erin Boheme

Jamiee Paul

Karrin Allyson

Melissa Morgan

Nikki Yanofsky

Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat"

Swing:

The Puppini Sisters "Betcha Bottom Dollar"

Lucy Woodward "Hooked"

Yeah, someone finally mentioned Shirley Horn. One of the underappreciated vocalists of the last 50 years.

My favorite of hers:

folder.jpg

Anything by Billie Holiday, but preferable before the 50's when her voice was shot and she survived on her not inconsiderable skills as a vocalist, even with the deteriorating voice.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't think Mary Margaret O'Hara has been mentioned yet. Not much material out there to track down: there's one full album - Miss America, and assorted singles and guest vocal spots, but her voice and singing is unique and a bit crazy (in a very musical way).

(not to be confused with Mary O'Hara, who my granny liked)

Jheena Lodwick has a beautiful voice.

Try this Youtube track of "Do That To Me One More Time"

Jheena also appears on a few of the Best Audiophile Voices series of CDs.

"Feelings Vol.2 "is a very nice album, but not always easy to obtain these days.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 9 months later...
Alice cooper

She SUX !

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Yeah, someone finally mentioned Shirley Horn. One of the underappreciated vocalists of the last 50 years.

My favorite of hers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4935[/ATTACH]

Anything by Billie Holiday, but preferable before the 50's when her voice was shot and she survived on her not inconsiderable skills as a vocalist, even with the deteriorating voice.

No doubt this is her BEST, but also this (from Qobuz) is very nice:

Shirley_Horn_Trio-Live_At_The_1994_Monterey_Ja.jpg

Roch