IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

What a great thread!

Echoing others and adding a few I haven't yet seen, in no particular order:

• Aimee Mann - one of my favorites. Check out her latest, Mental Illness; or 1999's Bachelor No. 2
  • PJ Harvey - 2011's highly acclaimed Let England Shake might suit the OP's taste best, but personally I think 1995's To Bring You My Love is her masterpiece.
  • Joni Mitchell - Blue, Court and Spark, Hejira
  • Joan Osborne's 1995 debut album is excellent
  • KT Tunstall is best known for her 2004 debut, but I think her 2007 Drastic Fantastic is better and totally overlooked.
  • Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Springfield has to be in every decent music collection. The Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD is by far the best version.
  • Beth Orton - unique voice, and has done both trip-hop and acoustic stuff. I like Trailer Park, although I'd guess most people would say Central Reservation should be first on your list.
  • Neko Case has a unique voice and style - Middle Cyclone is worth checking out.
  • Julia Fordham's 1985 Porcelain album (mentioned previously) is a gem, and doesn't sound very dated.
  • Bonnie Raitt is an amazing singer and musician. Personally I think her late-'80s/early '90s breakthrough albums are a bit too slick and polished. Her '70s stuff is better IMHO.
  • Amber Rubarth - her Sessions from the 17th Ward album is a great album and a sonic marvel (it's a binaural recording I believe).
  • Ani DiFranco - she's an acquired taste but very talented and has a unique vocal style.
  • Tracey Thorn - I'm not a huge fan of her previous band Everything but the Girl - but she's a very gifted vocalist and worth seeking out.
  • Lisa Gerrard - formerly (and I guess now again?) of Dead Can Dance. Just Google her and listen to whatever comes up on YouTube in the search results, and you'll understand.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 10:40 AM, Lightstream said:

Wonderful voice: Sophie Zelmani with Stay with my heart:

First time hearing her but love Sophie's voice and this song.  Is it typical of her sound?

What album is it from?

Do you have a fave album?

• 2 weeks later...

To my ears, her four albums are the very best of the Sound Liaison offerings.

Most of their recordings afford exceptional sound quality but to my taste, they don't offer anything that compares favorably She shines as the brightest star in the Sound Liaison firmament.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 1:50 AM, PAP said:

Allow me to disagree.

She is the only singer on the label but I find the Paul Berner Band, Witmer Trio and the Batik downloads worthy contesters. 

The clarinet playing on ''Road to Memphis'' sounds like a voice to me. Listen to the Colonel youtube The Colonel.

PaulBandMilan300.png

A point well made and I may have overstated my thoughts here. I didn't mean to dismiss the Sound Liaison catalogue as I have both Road to Memphis and Batik, enjoying them both. I will give the Witmer Trio offerings a listen, thanks again.

More to the point I meant to express my fondness for Carmen Gomes based on the consistency, quality and quality of her work relative to the other artists in the label's catalogue. It's all good...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

2 hours ago, BacHolz said:

A point well made and I may have overstated my thoughts here. I didn't mean to dismiss the Sound Liaison catalogue as I have both Road to Memphis and Batik, enjoying them both. I will give the Witmer Trio offerings a listen, thanks again.

More to the point I meant to express my fondness for Carmen Gomes based on the consistency, quality and quality of her work relative to the other artists in the label's catalogue. It's all good...

BTW: Sound Liaison recently announced an upcoming Paul Berner Band release recorded in DXD format. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 0:11 AM, BacHolz said:

Ok, I understand your point now. Her albums are indeed remarkable.

On 3/26/2013 at 9:12 AM, ivdz said:

Eva Cassidy - Sara K. - Holly Cole - Cassandra Wilson - Jacintha - Diana Krall - Caroll Kid - Chie Ayado - Stacey Kent - Mathilde Santing - Patricia Kaas - Carla Lother - Rebecca Pidgeon - Shawn Colvin - Trijntje Oosterhuis - Jen Chapin - Meldoy Gardot - Katie Melua - Barb Jungr - Patricia Barber

Many of my favs are also in your list!

Mary Black, Irish folk singer, only showed up once in a topic search and included in a group list. IMO she is a standout.

I would include most of the female artists on that album " A woman's Heart"

Sound Minds Mind Sound