IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

If you like Latin Jazz mixed with Chill/Lounge influence, Gabrielle Chiararo has two albums out at Highresaudio as 96/24.

Her voice reminds me of Lani Hall, very comfortable to listen to and be drawn into her voice, and without the ear bleed :)

Jazz Schema

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32087[/ATTACH]

Sensual Elegance

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32088[/ATTACH]

I agree those vocals are quite enticing.

I just rediscovered Linda Ronstadt and I'm just stunned by her voice.

Plenty of her songs out there to choose from but this 70s vintage Linda is phenomenal.

Sadly Linda was diagnosed with Parkinson disease and hasn't been able to perform since 2011. :(

I remember the first time I saw her, she was performing a afternoon outdoor concert at Sportsmans Park, Chicago around 1972 or 3. That day her backing band came out to start the show for the first hour, a little known group named The Eagles. :)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if Julie London has been mentioned in this thread before.
One of the reference female vocals in my collection.

JULIE_LONDON_JULIE+IS+HER+NAME-474849.jp

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2013 at 11:14 PM, astrotoy said:

From 40-50 years ago, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell. I've always had a soft spot for Karen Carpenter.

Larry

I own many, many digital high res albums in addition to 1K+ LPs.  

My ultimate reference for female vocals and purity of reproduction is "The Carpenters - Singles" album in DSD (only!).  Her voice and everything else are masterfully recorded and presented. I once thought the Carpenters quite "uncool" but they've grown on me and now consider it just beautiful music of a particular if not peculiar, kind. 

4 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Has Sara Bareilles been mentioned here before?

This particular album is a great live performance. 

sara_b_brave_enough_lo.jpg

Indeed, that is a VERY strong recording and performance Nikhil.  Much more than just a pretty face or voice, she really carries the performance and rocks!  If you dig that, go find this EP, you will not be disappointed.

OnceUponAnotherTime_cover.jpg

On 4/17/2017 at 6:26 PM, Nikhil said:

Vintage 1950s Sarah Vaughan is another must have reference.

cover.png

I love Sarah and was lucky to see her live 3 times. 

Try her fabulous Brazilian album: http://www.allmusic.com/album/i-love-brazil-mw0000113967

Another great album is Crazy and Mixed up: http://www.allmusic.com/album/crazy-and-mixed-up-mw0000649764

The song "The Island" is magnificent. Great small group album.

Ulla Meineke "Die Tanzerin", great recording even if you don't speak German;

Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue", recently released as "Unmastered SACD";

Anjani "Blue Alert", backup singer and girlfriend of Leonard Cohen;

Vanessa Fernandez "Use Me", great recording as is "When The Levee Breaks" (Zep covers);

Eva Cassidy "Live At The Blues Cafe", IMHO her best album with the tracks being a subset of "Nightbird", a recording with great back story;

Vienna Teng "Dreaming Thru The Noise";

Enya;

Clannad;

Carla Bruni, who can sing anything to me in French;

Cassandra Wilson;

Lyn Stanley, recorded by Cookie at BCR;

Heather Pierson "Motherless Child";

Sara K "Hell or High Water";

Nina Simone "Little Girl Blue"

...and about 150 more in my harem!  ;-)