IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

Alison Krauss was rightly added to this discussion by 'bettlemania' earlier. If she is to your liking, then I'd like to mention an artist of similar style, namely Sarah Jarosz.

Build.jpg

She is an accomplished mandolin player and falls in the genre that I call "New Grass". I don't yet have her debut album, but her second release "Follow Me Down" from 2011 and most recently "Build Me Up from Bones", 2013 are to be recommended.

Norah Jones has been discussed of course and I would offer her latest collaborative effort entitled "No Fools, No Fun" with Sasha Dobson and Catherine Popper, a group know as "Puss n' Boots." To my taste, one of the better chapters in her more recent artistic evolution.

Puss.jpg

Follow.jpg

Puss.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

• 2 years later...

To my ears, her four albums are the very best of the Sound Liaison offerings.

Most of their recordings afford exceptional sound quality but to my taste, they don't offer anything that compares favorably She shines as the brightest star in the Sound Liaison firmament.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 1:50 AM, PAP said:

Allow me to disagree.

She is the only singer on the label but I find the Paul Berner Band, Witmer Trio and the Batik downloads worthy contesters. 

The clarinet playing on ''Road to Memphis'' sounds like a voice to me. Listen to the Colonel youtube The Colonel.

PaulBandMilan300.png

A point well made and I may have overstated my thoughts here. I didn't mean to dismiss the Sound Liaison catalogue as I have both Road to Memphis and Batik, enjoying them both. I will give the Witmer Trio offerings a listen, thanks again.

More to the point I meant to express my fondness for Carmen Gomes based on the consistency, quality and quality of her work relative to the other artists in the label's catalogue. It's all good...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A tribute of jazz covers dedicated to one of the finest singer-songwriters, Joni Mitchell.

"Portraits of Joni" by Jessica Molaskey

51zN2iQzSML.jpg