IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MI0003347325.jpg

Famous Blue Raincoat: The Songs of Leonard Cohen - Jennifer Warnes

A collection of Leonard Cohen's songs. Jennifer Warnes was a backup singer to Cohen in one of his tours in the 70's.

MI0002527679.jpg

The Hunter - Jennifer Warnes

Not as good as Famous Blue Raincoat but has a fair number of nice songs.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Its been a while since I last took a look at this thread.

Here are three albums on heavy rotation on my system right now.

Karen Souza - Essentials

(was recommended on another thread by another member)

66398_640.jpg

Annie Lennox - Nostalgia

MI0003796963.jpg

Natalie Merchant

MI0003722582.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Nikhil,

While I know the works of both Annie Lennox, and especially Natalie Merchant very well. I've never heard of Karen Souza. How would you describe her style?

JC

Not your cup of tea unfortunately. Karen Souza is an Argentine jazz singer but this album is more mainstream as she sings covers of recent pop hits including some from the 80s and 90s - with a twist. Her voice style is neutral but her accompanying band adds the sizzle.

• 4 months later...
Youn Sun Nah (aka Na Yoon-Sun) has been mentioned here before a couple of times, but I guess I must have been asleep at the wheel because I only just got around listening to her this past weekend. I bit the bullet and purchased hi-res downloads of her Voyage, Same Girl and Lento albums. Wow! Her interpretative creativity and wide stylistic range as evidenced in these three albums is very impressive. This gal is nothing short of a vocal acrobat. I am hooked!

614427901927-cover-225.jpg614427902429-cover-225.jpg614427903020-cover-225.jpg

Good stuff! Spent some time listening to Youn Sun Nah last night.

Fantastic vocals but a little different musically - still an enjoyable listen.

• 3 weeks later...

The OP had mentioned Chie Ayado. IF you are like me and have not heard of her before - just pick up any album of hers that you can find.

Chie Ayado - Prayera

Special note of the supporting cast musicians - top notch and barely a false step.

41PHgwemFtL._SX425_.jpg

• 2 months later...

Dee Alexander - Songs My Mother Loves

Thanks for the introduction to Dee Alexander. Found this album and have been enjoying her voice this morning. Surprised that she is not more well known. Must look up her website before my next trip to Chicago. Great voice!

MI0003767634.jpg

Dee Alexander: Songs My Mother Loves

• 4 months later...

Cecile McLorin Salvant

"... how about young jazz singer Cecile McLorin Salvant? In her live performances and beautifully crafted albums (available on vinyl, of course) she serves up each song as if it were a Fabergé egg: Billie, Ella, and Sarah are born again. Everyone she works with seems equally steeped in jazz tradition. At the moment, she is one of its foremost curators."

Excerpt from Larry Schenbeck's article "Mission Statement" from Copper Issue 2.

-

[video=youtube;2bdC8SGJ-hQ]

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just rediscovered Linda Ronstadt and I'm just stunned by her voice.

Plenty of her songs out there to choose from but this 70s vintage Linda is phenomenal.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if Julie London has been mentioned in this thread before.
One of the reference female vocals in my collection.

JULIE_LONDON_JULIE+IS+HER+NAME-474849.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Has Toni Price been mentioned on this thread so far?

Not really jazz.  More a mix of Country Blues, Texas Swing & Bluegrass.

Toni Price - Midnight Pumpkin (Available on TIDAL)

Midnight-Pumpkin-cover.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
13 hours ago, miguelito said:

Her studio albums are amazing. Nina De Fuego is an amazing album, Mienteme Bien and Volver, Volver particularly amazing.

What an amazing voice.  Thanks for sharing!

Almost fell off my chair listening to Mienteme Bien!

417lB4s5ZAL._SY355_.jpg

TIDAL Link: https://tidal.com/album/2073061

• 5 months later...

Has Kari Bremnes been mentioned on this thread yet?

I don't understand a word but I just heard her entire album "Og så kom resten av livet", (2012).

Spectacular recording and what a fantastic voice!