IGNORED

Woman vocals - suggestions

Dear forum members,

I could use some help with suggestions for a certain type of music I like. My interest goes to Woman Vocals especially in the genres of Folk, Jazz and Easy Listening. I try to follow some music magazines but this type of music is not always des ribed or reviewed. Any of you have any suggestions on top of below list of musicians I really like:

Eva Cassidy - Sara K. - Holly Cole - Cassandra Wilson - Jacintha - Diana Krall - Caroll Kid - Chie Ayado - Stacey Kent - Mathilde Santing - Patricia Kaas - Carla Lother - Rebecca Pidgeon - Shawn Colvin - Trijntje Oosterhuis - Jen Chapin - Meldoy Gardot - Katie Melua - Barb Jungr - Patricia Barber

I live in Belgium and the number of magazines with music reviews are rather scarse. So I depend on the web and hopefully on others suggestions.

Thanks for the help

Iver

Naim152xs - Naim150xs - Naim FlatCapxs - Naim ND5xs - Epos Epic 5 - QNAP 219 Nas

Clair Martin or Eden Atwood can fit in your collection...

I am not sure if I understand your question. You want similar artist as in your list, or you want the (for us) best albums from the artist from your list?

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Hey Chris,

thanks for your reply ! I do have 3 albums from Claire Martin on the Linn label. I like het music a lot. Eden Atwood, I don't know. Thanks for the tip. What I normally do, is to check some music now from her on Spotify. If i like it I either buys an album or borrow one on the public library ( in Belgium it is allowed to rip a borrowed cd only for privat use.)

what I hope is that this forum helps me discover artists I don't know. The artists I mentioned, I almost have all albums .

hope this clarifies.

iver

Naim152xs - Naim150xs - Naim FlatCapxs - Naim ND5xs - Epos Epic 5 - QNAP 219 Nas

hope this clarifies.

iver

Yep, I will also mention Malia, Nicki Parrott, Rebekka Bakken, Valerie Joyce and Rachell Ferrell.

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Some on top of the many great suggestions already:

Sophie Hunger, a Swiss singer/songwriter (Sophie Hunger :: Souldier)

Susannah McCorkle (From Bessie to Brazil is a great recording available in High Res)

Elina Duni (especially Matane Mailt, in Albanian, on ECM)

Youn Sun Nah

Malene Mortensen

Victoria Tolstoy (several nice recordings with the late Esbjörn Svensson)

Esperanza Spalding

Sophie Zelmani

the Album "Sophisticated Ladies" from Charlie Haden with several of the already mentioned singers

Kat Edmonson (the voice is a bit particular, but the music interesting. A discovery from this forum)

Lisa Ekdahl (need to be careful, lots of rather average Swedish pop as well from her. Start with "When Did You Leave Heaven")

Sol Seppy (The Bells of 1 2)

If you don't mind singing in German: Annett Louisan

And in French: The old Carla Bruni (Mrs Sarkozy) stuff can be quite nice occasionally

From 40-50 years ago, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell. I've always had a soft spot for Karen Carpenter.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

wow guys !!!!! ...... many, many thanks .... this is a superb help .... some of the artists you mentioned, I already have some albums of, but quite some are new to me ..... I have my shopping list prepared :-) .... on the way to the public library and to Amazon !!Again, thanks for the excellent feedback. Iver

There are some great suggestions here (and on your original list) but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alison Krauss. My absolute favorite female vocalist. Such an amazing voice with great range and emotive communication.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Don't forget Live at Yoshi's.

Hahahaha

I have Arkansas Traveler and Short Sharp Shocked but haven't bought anything more recent from her. I was pretty surprised when I read about her outburst last week. Folkies regularly wear their political stripes for all to see - I would not have guessed . . .

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

A few you should seek out...

Liz Callaway

Gillian Welch

Jane Monheit

Kate McGarry

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Harrow.jpeg

Gillian Welch.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.