IGNORED

Musicbrainz Picard Tagger DSF support

28 minutes ago, jackocleebrown said:

Agh! What a bad choice! o.O
Why did not you keep your original DSF files and did not let the media server convert from DSD to PCM?
I know the DSD to PCM conversion is not a trivial job and there's a serious risk to loose the original information (let's say: a DSD-PCM-DSD conversion lead to a different DSD information if compared to the original DSD).
Every music server I use (LMS, Daphile, Synology native, etc...) has an on line DSD to PCM conversion plugin, so no worry about the DSD DAC compliance, instead preserve your original digital signal!
All this, obviously, imho...

Cheers
EJ

41 minutes ago, jackocleebrown said:

Hi,

Just remembered that there was another github contributor who has updated the plugin to work with Picard  1.4.2.

Looks like you can download here: https://github.com/aidan-g/dsf2flac/raw/master/extras/picard dsf file support/picard plugin - dsf file support.zip

Kind regards,

Jack.

Yes, I saw that plug-in.
Unfortunately it does not collect the information from MusicBrainz (specific ID, ASIN, etc.). It looks like the plug-in only identifies the album and titles using the file name but it can save any ID3v tag.

EJ

Yep, I tried but it doesn't work. I looked up in browser and tagged the right release. Picard shown at right the release with all empty tracks.
I dragged each file at the right position and I saved all (right mouse button on the release and "Save").
MP3Tag doesn't see any tag, all files are tag-empty. :-(

EJ

11 hours ago, jackocleebrown said:

Just tested myself with Picard 1.4.2 and the plugin from the link above. For me Picard is definitely writing tags. First I tag a file using "Lookup in Browser", then drag the file to the right position, then save. Then "remove" the release and load the file again. Picard knows which release it is from without me having to "Lookup in Browser" and the "Original Value" tag fields are fully populated.

However, if I try and read the file in Mp3tag then there is a warning "(!BAD ID3V2)".

Loading the same file in another tagging programme (Kid3) I can see the correct Picard tags (see screenshot attached).

So there is at least some incompatibility with Mp3tag.

Which media player/streaming server do you use? Have you tried the Picard tagged files with that? I previously used LMS and as I recall the tags could be read fine (that would have been on the original plugin and a much older Picard version).

Screenshot_20171206_224754.png

Hi jacko,
I reinstalled Picard (maybe my installation was broken for some reason) and I confirm what you found in your last test.
Then I used TagScanner to investigate and I think I've found the reasons of the problem.

There are two problems:

1. Tag "COMMENT WORKPARTS_OPTIONS" not valid
There's a "COMMENT WORKPARTS_OPTIONS" tag (containing a lot of text) on every Picard saved DSF file. I don't know this particular tag but this is the origin of the "(!BAD ID3v2)" error; if you remove this tag all the others come to life in MP3Tag.

2. Many specific Musicbrainz tags have a wrong name.
I noted that, even if the above error is resolved, many specific Musicbrainz tags don't appear in MP3Tag where I normally expect to see them.
Examples:
Ther's a tag "MUSIC BRAINZ ALBUM TYPE" with an "album" string wrote by the plugin. But I expect to have a "RELEASETYPE" tag, cause normally (with FLAC files) Picard write a "RELEASETYPE" tag, not the  "MUSIC BRAINZ ALBUM TYPE".
The same appears with the tag "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID", the right name is "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID".
Again, there's no "PUBLISHER" tag but "LABEL" is the right one.
And so on...
You can consult https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/tags for more infos.

3. (Not a problem, just a correction)

There's a "002_WARNINGS" tag that, in my opinion, it's a wrong tag and it has anytime the value "No works for this track".

I think it's a tag to don't write.

So... ehm... maybe you could... :-)
I'm not a Python expert but maybe you, with a bunch of minutes,... :-)

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 11:50 PM, jackocleebrown said:

Just tested myself with Picard 1.4.2 and the plugin from the link above. For me Picard is definitely writing tags. First I tag a file using "Lookup in Browser", then drag the file to the right position, then save. Then "remove" the release and load the file again. Picard knows which release it is from without me having to "Lookup in Browser" and the "Original Value" tag fields are fully populated.

However, if I try and read the file in Mp3tag then there is a warning "(!BAD ID3V2)".

Loading the same file in another tagging programme (Kid3) I can see the correct Picard tags (see screenshot attached).

So there is at least some incompatibility with Mp3tag.

Which media player/streaming server do you use? Have you tried the Picard tagged files with that? I previously used LMS and as I recall the tags could be read fine (that would have been on the original plugin and a much older Picard version).

Screenshot_20171206_224754.png

Finally I was able to do some quiet trials and I can confirm what was said by Jacko.
To solve the problem of incompatibility with Mp3Tag it is sufficient to make a passage through the save with another tagger that does not have the problem. I discovered, for example, that TagScanner reads the tags written by Picard and it is sufficient to save them (CTRL+A to select all the files, CTRL+S to save them) and the tags are correct and readable also by Mp3Tag.
A bit tortuous but in the end you are sure to have correct tags and no "(!BAD ID3V2)" errors.