IGNORED

Musicbrainz Picard Tagger DSF support

Hello,

I have written a plugin to add support for the DSF audio format to the Musicbrainz Picard Tagger (which is my favorite).

The plugin seems to work on the few files I've tested. If you would like to beta test then please download here:

https://dsf2flac.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/extras/picard%20dsf%20file%20support/picard%20plugin%20-%20dsf%20file%20support.zip

All the best, Jack.

Hi Jack,

thanks for plugin. I was looking for a Picard plugin in order to update dsd file tags.

It works as intended, most of my collection is updated now.

MPD (0.18-git) recognize the tags but foobar (foobar v 1.2.4 beta 3 and Super Audio CD v 0.6.2) does not :). I presume that is because of how foobar/sacd plugin is reading the tags. For me is not a problem as I use mostly mpd.

Catalin

Glad it worked for you! I would guess that if the new tags are coming up on MPD but not foobar then foobar must not be reading the ID3 metadata from the file. It might just be using the filename to guess the tags.

All the best, Jack.

Hi Jack, thanks for the effort on the DSF plugin! I tried the program the other day and no doubt the text tagging capability is fantastic but I think the album art portion is not implemented yet or am I not using it correctly?

Hello!

Glad it has been useful for you.

I have to confess that I've not tested the embeded album art feature. The part of the code which actually writes the tags is taken from the code that picard uses for MP3 files so, assuming embeded art works on MP3s, I don't see why it would not work. I'll have a look and try and figure out what is happening. I presume that you have the "embed album art" enabled in the tagger options?

Best regards, Jack.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

The plugin is now hosted at https://github.com/hank/dsf2flac along with the code for DSF2FLAC. I saw your comment that it doesn't work with Picard 1.3.2 on github too.

My audio system at home can't replay DSF directly so instead I convert them to FLAC (using DSF2FLAC). This means I don't have any need for tagging DSF files and also means that I haven't maintained the plugin to work the with latest versions of Picard.

Kind regards,

Jack.

39 minutes ago, erwjack said:

Agh! What a bad choice! o.O
Why did not you keep your original DSF files...

Of course I kept the original DSF files ¬¬.

40 minutes ago, erwjack said:

....and did not let the media server convert from DSD to PCM

That might be true now but it was not always so. The whole reason I wrote DSF2FLAC was because I wanted to ensure the conversion was done well. The DSF plugin for Picard was just a by-product of writing DSF2FLAC.

8 minutes ago, erwjack said:

Yes, I saw that plug-in.
Unfortunately it does not collect the information from MusicBrainz (specific ID, ASIN, etc.). It looks like the plug-in only identifies the album and titles using the file name but it can save any ID3v tag.

EJ

It is the same plugin that I wrote, just updated for version 1.4.2. If you mean that audio fingerprinting won't work then that is correct. But does allow you to write the full MB tags to DSF files. You need to manually select the correct files from the MB database (Lookup in browser). You only need to do this once and then MB will automatically identify next time from the written tags.

Just tested myself with Picard 1.4.2 and the plugin from the link above. For me Picard is definitely writing tags. First I tag a file using "Lookup in Browser", then drag the file to the right position, then save. Then "remove" the release and load the file again. Picard knows which release it is from without me having to "Lookup in Browser" and the "Original Value" tag fields are fully populated.

However, if I try and read the file in Mp3tag then there is a warning "(!BAD ID3V2)".

Loading the same file in another tagging programme (Kid3) I can see the correct Picard tags (see screenshot attached).

So there is at least some incompatibility with Mp3tag.

Which media player/streaming server do you use? Have you tried the Picard tagged files with that? I previously used LMS and as I recall the tags could be read fine (that would have been on the original plugin and a much older Picard version).

Screenshot_20171206_224754.png