IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

Julf - When your CA membership was reinstated you agreed not to engage in unprofessional behavior. Based on a review of your posts since that time I believe you've violated that agreement. A warning simply doesn't go far enough. I've decided to ban you from the CA forums for good.

A bit to late, but better late then never!!!

A bit to late, but better late then never!!!

Hello sima,

With respect, it is never too late when one follows the path of personal responsibility and accountability. The departure of sbgk and jesuscheung is regrettable. If it is not possible to bring them back, the effort was made in a public way.

Mistakes were made. But a reassessment was conducted, and I believe any wrongs perceived as intentional by others on the part of Chris merits a reassessment also. I believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Misguided, overwhelmed with so much to do, one can choose the wrong resolution. Once righted, apologies for accusations untrue from the inception are reasonable to call for. I, for one as a member of CA, ask they be offered up. CA's conduct if off course, was corrected.

I commend Chris Connacker for demonstrating by his actions what he values. We are all Humans-In-Training and subject to making mistakes. I noticed accusations were hurled from both sides. But due diligence was taken to right things. That has to stand for something we should all honor. Recognition should apply both ways.

As a member of CA, I want what is for the betterment of all involved. It is never too late. Well done Chris in doing what you believe is just.

Best,

Richard

Hello sima,

With respect, it is never too late when one follows the path of personal responsibility and accountability. The departure of sbgk and jesuscheung is regrettable. If it is not possible to bring them back, the effort was made in a public way.

Mistakes were made. But a reassessment was conducted, and I believe any wrongs perceived as intentional by others on the part of Chris merits a reassessment also. I believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Misguided, overwhelmed with so much to do, one can choose the wrong resolution. Once righted, apologies for accusations untrue from the inception are reasonable to call for. I, for one as a member of CA, ask they be offered up. CA's conduct if off course, was corrected.

I commend Chris Connacker for demonstrating by his actions what he values. We are all Humans-In-Training and subject to making mistakes. I noticed accusations were hurled from both sides. But due diligence was taken to right things. That has to stand for something we should all honor. Recognition should apply both ways.

As a member of CA, I want what is for the betterment of all involved. It is never too late. Well done Chris in doing what you believe is just.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

With the same respect, I fully agree with you.

When I said "to late", I meant that the "damage " is already done and in this case, looks irreparable. We all had nice discussions and comments in a perfect civilized way........until Julf showed up!

Thanks again to Chris for correcting himself and doing the right thing in the end.

Best,

Adam

Hi Richard,

With the same respect, I fully agree with you.

When I said "to late", I meant that the "damage " is already done and in this case, looks irreparable. We all had nice discussions and comments in a perfect civilized way........until Julf showed up!

Thanks again to Chris for correcting himself and doing the right thing in the end.

Best,

Adam

Hello Adam,

Yes, I read you loud and clear. Your meaning was not lost on me. I just used what might be a slightly back-handed recognition as a starting point for my own sentiments. I never doubted your sincerity of the subtext of your recognition.

Frankly, I think we all lost a wonderful opportunity for NO GOOD REASON. I wish there was a way to restart from what was an enthusiasm for something organic and good. But given what sbgk was confronted with, it is understandable that he would not want to have this project held up by some pretenders who can't innovate, teach, or assess fairly claiming higher purposes and ruining the journey.

It just sucks all the oxygen out of our enthusiasm for innovation and the pursuit of excellence when having to defend against the self-appointed, self-anointed guardians who create controversy where there is none and stifle innovation and demand access to a project in development as if they were the authority, the conscience for us all.

To then drag Chris Connacker into a manufactured controversy, question other's motives, impute nefarious intentions for secret identities, audit other's work product as if they are the authority for approval and if not given access is evidence something's suspect is utter nonsense. Chris was misled. One can not protest innocence and acknowledge from the very first post a derisive intent unless one is seeking attention by creating controversy and suspicion. If any one of us was confronted with that kind of interface, how long would we good-naturedly respond before feeling attacked unjustly. No wonder sbgk and jesuscheung have sought refuge to a safe haven. Too bad they were persuaded to believe that CA is not that safe haven. Too bad that Chris had to sort the matter given inaccurate, irrelevant and misinformation. Too bad CA forum and Chris and, indirectly, the members had to be accused of partisan, dishonorable motives to account for decisions that were misguided. A member can not look others in the eye, protest accusations of making trouble, deny his instigation and claiming none existed and then when confronted with the printed text that his denials are not truthful acknowledge it might be construed as derisive in the first instance. For what purpose? What is the outcome contemplated?

One has only to look at the fallout to decide the equities. Everyone, to some degree lost out. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

I am a proud member of CA.

Best,

Richard

can not create account, i don't know why. tomorrow will try again.

try for testing something on this:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By1xGgzp0QXrQV9sWkIwamY2Wm8&usp=sharing

i made for you do test piano, maybe interesting.

what the hell is it?

i put lekt.exe in d:\music. i put a file named track1.wav in it. i click Track1.bat. command prompt pops up and disappears.

send me a private message with your email. i can create an account for you. they have a security question to open account. maybe difficult for non-english speaker.

what the hell is it?

i put lekt.exe in d:\music. i put a file named track1.wav in it. i click Track1.bat. command prompt pops up and disappears.

send me a private message with your email. i can create an account for you. they have a security question to open account. maybe difficult for non-english speaker.

maybe not optimal compile, on my laptop VS2012, .NET 4.5. i suspect dependency of avrt.lib, ole32.lib, winmm.lib. try recompile.

i send you private message. waiting for you. thanks.

Julf - When your CA membership was reinstated you agreed not to engage in unprofessional behavior. Based on a review of your posts since that time I believe you've violated that agreement. A warning simply doesn't go far enough. I've decided to ban you from the CA forums for good.

Hello Chris!

Have you deleted any of Julf's posts?

I have only found 2 post from him after the reinstatement...am I wrong?

Also being a non native speaker of english, I am afraid I am not understanding exactly what you mean by "professional" or "unprofessional".

I looked the definition:

professional - definition of professional by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Probably you are giving it a different meaning...sorry, could you illustrate your intended?

Civil, polite...if "professional" is a synonymous to these terms, I was not aware...always learning!

Me, I am here completely for the sake of fun, hobby development and learn. Loving the hobby, enjoying and discovering more music in the process. An amateur as opposed to a professional!

Hope I am not the only one with this linguistic dilemma!

Cheers!

Hello Chris!

Also being a non native speaker of english, I am afraid I am not understanding exactly what you mean by "professional" or "unprofessional".

I looked the definition:

professional - definition of professional by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Probably you are giving it a different meaning...sorry, could you illustrate your intended?

Civil, polite...if "professional" is a synonymous to these terms, I was not aware...always learning!

Me, I am here completely for the sake of fun, hobby development and learn. Loving the hobby, enjoying and discovering more music in the process. An amateur as opposed to a professional!

Cheers!

Not speaking for Chris Connacker, but for myself:

Roget's Thesarus:

Main Entry: professional  [pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Show IPA

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: skilled, trained

Synonyms: able, ace, acknowledged, adept, competent, crackerjack*, efficient, experienced, expert, finished, knowing one's stuff, known, learned, licensed, on the ball, polished, practiced, proficient, qualified, sharp, skillful, slick*, there, up to speed, well-qualified

Antonyms: amateur, rookie, unprofessional, unskilled, untrained

* = informal/non-formal usage

Add to the above conduct which demonstrates behaviors that are ethical, integrity, fair and balanced, responsible, honesty, principled, accountable, reasonable, competent, there's more...

Best,

Richard

Hello Chris!

I looked the definition:

Cheers!

Hi MikeJazz - Thanks for asking the questions. Julf was banned awhile ago before this thread existed. If you really want to read his posts just click on his username or use the advanced search feature.

I use use the term professional to describe how professionals should talk to each other not that anyone here has to literally be a professional. Maybe I should say "Don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read." In other words just be respectful and nice so we can all enjoy this wonderful hobby :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Not speaking for Chris Connacker, but for myself:

Roget's Thesarus:

Main Entry: professional  [pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Show IPA

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: skilled, trained

Synonyms: able, ace, acknowledged, adept, competent, crackerjack*, efficient, experienced, expert, finished, knowing one's stuff, known, learned, licensed, on the ball, polished, practiced, proficient, qualified, sharp, skillful, slick*, there, up to speed, well-qualified

Antonyms: amateur, rookie, unprofessional, unskilled, untrained

* = informal/non-formal usage

Add to the above conduct which demonstrates behaviors that are ethical, integrity, fair and balanced, responsible, honesty, principled, accountable, reasonable, competent, there's more...

Best,

Richard

Richard, thanks for your input.

Exactly my point is that (in my understanding) the above objective meaning of "professional" ("skilled, trained") and most of it's synonymous have nothing to do with the cherished qualifications on the behaviors that, we agree, are fundamental to the forum.

And for that reason, I fail to see how "professional" could be a qualification to be in the forum. Exactly the opposite, many people (like me) come here to "learn the trade", because they are not very "skilled", or "proficient" in computer audiophile.

But again, I am not a native speaker of English.

Hi MikeJazz - Thanks for asking the questions. Julf was banned awhile ago before this thread existed. If you really want to read his posts just click on his username or use the advanced search feature.

About Julf, I was confused because, you gave him a warning,

then he responded:

Dear Chris, I can see how that comment could be seen as derisive. I will try my best to ensure a more professional tone in the future.

That was 10-08-2013, 07:45 AM.

At that time he was not banned...

Then I only found 2 more posts from him:

(10-08-2013, 07:50 AM)

The title of this thread is "Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi milimalist player". To me that implies that the program is written in Visual Studio 2012 and C++, using wasapi libraries, maybe with some sections optimized in assembler. With the new licensing, it seems the source code won't be made available, so I guess there is no way to verify it.

and, yesterday.

I agree. Pretty horrible device. The autotune of its day...

Edit: I was wrong when I assumed you banned based on last comments...I can see now that your statement "Based on a review of your posts since that time I believe you've violated that agreement" referred to older posts.

I use use the term professional to describe how professionals should talk to each other not that anyone here has to literally be a professional. Maybe I should say "Don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read." In other words just be respectful and nice so we can all enjoy this wonderful hobby :~)

Understood, Thanks.

Richard, thanks for your input.

Exactly my point is that (in my understanding) the above objective meaning of "professional" ("skilled, trained") and most of it's synonymous have nothing to do with the cherished qualifications on the behaviors that, we agree, are fundamental to the forum.

And for that reason, I fail to see how "professional" could be a qualification to be in the forum. Exactly the opposite, many people (like me) come here to "learn the trade", because they are not very "skilled", or "proficient" in computer audiophile.

But again, I am not a native speaker of English.

Dear Mike,

Excuse the OT, ALL.

Edit: Ooopps! Did not see Chris Connacker's post below. Sorry folks. I guess never mind is in order.

Again, I am not speaking for Chris Connacker, but for myself.

I realize that in different countries in the World there are cultural differences. That showing the bottom of one's feet is an insult, etc. etc. That some words in one language have a different meaning in another language. As you may know among the Eskimo there are purported to be fifty (50) words to describe the different characteristics of snow.

In the English language words have literal meaning and figurative meaning as well as connoting other meanings such as when Slang is used which has a nuance all of its own.

If I am not getting what you are connoting correctly ;>}, please correct me. If I am not getting what Chris Connacker is communicating, he can correct me and represent himself. I do not presume to know what precisely Chris means when he requires members to conduct themselves in a professional manner. But I surmise that what Chris means when he requires that members conduct themselves in a professional manner, is that we behave toward one another and treat one another with civility, respect, courtesy. That we do not employ sarcasm, contempt, foul language, cynicism, stone wall, defensiveness, impute dishonorable motives. That we allow for different models of the world. That we take responsibility and accountability for how we conduct ourselves. That we don't make others wrong but rather express our opinion. This is not to suggest that having a lively discussion or presenting opposing points of view or offering evidence of different results, measurements, opinions.

The complex equivalence for conducting oneself in a professional manner is not the equivalent of the literal meaning which I believe you are confusing with behaviors that are professional-like. Maintaining rapport, expressing yourself in a balanced way, no name calling or insults, no deception, or falsifying, showing mutual respect, not engaging in power struggles, not making others wrong to make you right and on and on.

This is my sense of what I believe Chris Connacker means by conducting oneself in a professional manner. If I got that wrong, please correct me.

I am done.

Richard

Folks may be interested in downloading the Visual Studio C++ WASAPI sample source code from:

Windows Audio Session (WASAPI) sample (Windows 8.1) in C++ for Visual Studio 2013

Download a free copy of Visual Studio Express: Download Microsoft Visual Studio

Open the WASAPI solution file (WASAPIAudio.sln) in Visual Studio 2013. Hit F5 to compile/run and voila, a WASAPI minimalist player!

Could not resist taking a look back here to see where this thread had veered off to, glad to see some sense of normality has returned and now some more good info and links to the core topic.

Praise to Chris for getting control of what was a difficult situation and maybe some reliable mods are required as the site continues to grow.

Looks like Computer Audio is going to be rubbing many people up the wrong way for some time to come given what we are seeing on many sites which are supposedly dedicated to the enjoyment of music and the tools on how to achieve this.

On reflection I would have to list CA with the small list of sites that continue to function without the looney brigade raining on every new and challenging concept that might challenge entrenched beliefs, feels like some people believe firmly that even as adults we need protection from anything new which does not fit the status quo.

All i can say is leave us be to make our own mistakes and discoveries, hopefully further interest and testing with Visual Studio C++ WASAPI based playback will continue to make some strides in our "enjoyment of the music"....mini rant over!! Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Nowadays it is easy to setup development environment and running sample program other people created.

But you will know immediately after that, improving SQ / polishing user interface / adding function you'd like to have etc are challenging task and time consuming and will begin to respect to software developers for their skill and devotion :)

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

Nowadays it is easy to setup development environment and running sample program other people created.

But you will know immediately after that, improving SQ / polishing user interface / adding function you'd like to have etc are challenging task and time consuming and will begin to respect to software developers for their skill and devotion :)

Very true. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yep, programming is hard. Source: +20 year professional software engineer :) Pro-tip: Spend time on value added features and not on features already supplied by existing API's or 3rd party libraries.

On the Windows platform, WASAPI and several other higher level audio API's, are designed to do all of the heavy audio lifting for you so one can spend more time on polishing the user interface and adding other unique features (like a real-time dynamic range meter per song would be cool).

For example, this code sample shows how to design and implement a proper Windows 8 user interface and integrate a music library: Windows 8 Background Audio c# Metro sample in C#, XAML for Visual Studio 2012 Since there is support for multiple programming languages on Windows, this sample is written in C# and may be more accessible than C++ or more familiar for folks with a Java background. There are many other audio code samples in multiple programming languages. As with most anything programming, it has already been done (many times) before. One just has to know where to look.

There are also a number of 3rd party open source audio libraries such as the excellent NAudio and cross platform PortAudio, which is used in many commercial and otherwise applications. Again, these libraries are designed to do most if not all of the heavy audio lifting, plus with lots of added features. Both of which have a ton of samples and support forums to help the burgeoning developer build their cool audio application.

For the beginner (or advanced) programmer looking to learn audio programming, I highly recommend The Audio Programming Book | The MIT Press as it starts from the ground up with dozens of step by step examples on everything about programming audio. Chapter 3 provides a detailed source code example and walkthrough of what really happens when an audio file is opened, buffered, and streamed to a DAC. Worth the price of the book alone in my opinion.

Happy audio programming!

Yep, programming is hard. Source: +20 year professional software engineer :) Pro-tip: Spend time on value added features and not on features already supplied by existing API's or 3rd party libraries.

On the Windows platform, WASAPI and several other higher level audio API's, are designed to do all of the heavy audio lifting for you so one can spend more time on polishing the user interface and adding other unique features (like a real-time dynamic range meter per song would be cool).

For example, this code sample shows how to design and implement a proper Windows 8 user interface and integrate a music library: Windows 8 Background Audio c# Metro sample in C#, XAML for Visual Studio 2012 Since there is support for multiple programming languages on Windows, this sample is written in C# and may be more accessible than C++ or more familiar for folks with a Java background. There are many other audio code samples in multiple programming languages. As with most anything programming, it has already been done (many times) before. One just has to know where to look.

There are also a number of 3rd party open source audio libraries such as the excellent NAudio and cross platform PortAudio, which is used in many commercial and otherwise applications. Again, these libraries are designed to do most if not all of the heavy audio lifting, plus with lots of added features. Both of which have a ton of samples and support forums to help the burgeoning developer build their cool audio application.

For the beginner (or advanced) programmer looking to learn audio programming, I highly recommend The Audio Programming Book | The MIT Press as it starts from the ground up with dozens of step by step examples on everything about programming audio. Chapter 3 provides a detailed source code example and walkthrough of what really happens when an audio file is opened, buffered, and streamed to a DAC. Worth the price of the book alone in my opinion.

Happy audio programming!

I tried portaudio as used in squeezelite. Whether it's professional or not doesn't mean it sounds any good. The pattern continues that those who try MQn seem to like it and other developers and sceptics continue to disparage it. Is anyone questioning the claims of A+ improved SQ ? Guess MQn is just an easy target.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...