IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

Hi SBGK,

Question About: Tasks\P ro Audio registry settings.

Are these settings meant to be running ‘mqnplayer’ and ‘mqncontrol’ in high priority?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\P ro Audio]

"Scheduling Category"="High"

"GPU Priority"=dword:00000008

"Affinity"=dword:00000000

"Clock Rate"=dword:0000b568

"SFIO Priority"="Normal"

"Priority"=dword:00000008

"Background Only"="False"

I applied these registry changes, re-started server 2012, checked if registry changes where applied and than checked in task manager in what priority mqnplayer and mqncontrol where running. They ran in normal priority. Also audiodg.exe ran in normal priority.

Are these registry settings meant too change the priority-level of these processes?

Other questions related too this:

What audio-quality related processes should preferably run in ‘high priority’?

In task manager I can also set processes too ‘Real time’. Would this be better than ‘high priority’?

Mark

only mqnplay uses mmcss pro audio, mmcss works by adjusting/boosting the thread priority, the process has a normal priority and the mmcss boosts the thread priority to just below realtime. setting the process to real time gives a more processed sound (you can check this in process lasso), my guess is that it is then interfering with essential windows activities, think Jplay runs in realtime which may explain something. Multimedia Class Scheduler Service (Windows) and Scheduling Priorities (Windows)

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

2.59 sse4 intel 8 4 16 16 4 8

-tried it. loved it. but i shall kept this version for vocal only. don't think this is an all-around solution.

-no offense to newer versions, i still occasionally use the old 2.82, 1.2 and 2.41 movq. i just feel that MQn is yet to reach its full potential.

-for new versions, my farvorites are rax no zi, tot align and this 2.59 sse4 intel 8 4 16 16 4 8.

-for tuning OS/bios, i still use XA, coz i have used it the longest, know it the best.

what is missing from 8 4 16 16 4 8 ?

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

Whilst I think today's new version may be the "best" allrounder (it's organic sounding and musical) it seems to me to lack a bit of the dynamic range of ms drv 8 4 or 8 8.

Like JC I think there probably is a little more to come, but if not I'll be plenty happy with what I am hearing now.

Whilst I think today's new version may be the "best" allrounder (it's organic sounding and musical) it seems to me to lack a bit of the dynamic range of ms drv 8 4 or 8 8.

Like JC I think there probably is a little more to come, but if not I'll be plenty happy with what I am hearing now.

yes, but there is something about it that just keeps me entertained, a sweet, rhythmic sound, only thing I would say is it could be heavier in weight of sound, but the midrange sound is very enjoyable. thought the vocal sound of 8 4 and 8 8 was a bit hard.

yes, but there is something about it that just keeps me entertained, a sweet, rhythmic sound, only thing I would say is it could be heavier in weight of sound, but the midrange sound is very enjoyable. thought the vocal sound of 8 4 and 8 8 was a bit hard.

Don't think I'm dissing it, there is a really rounded character to it - I think we're at the stage where individual tastes or slight differences in presentation of other elements of the chain (room and speakers dominate so much) make the final choice for us. Listening to 8 4 again this afternoon. Just a joy to listen to.

I'm not sure what peter_t said, I missed it, sorry.

Once you locate an album or a play list, you just highlight what you want to listen than copy into clipboard. The rest is the same, just two clicks on MQn.bat.

I love it because I don't need to mess around through folders by Windows Explorer. I can take advantage of JRiver's GUI.

My Autohotkey script was written to save you the trouble of double-clicking on MQn.bat. (I am a lazy guy : I wrote a similar script for Jplaymini). You only need one (hot)key to start playing.

But actually it's usefulness lies in the fact that the script will also convert selected .flac tracks to .wav and correct "funny" characters in the resulting .wav filenames. If you select only .wav, then it will do only the filename corrections.

I have posted a second version of the scripts. The links to my scripts can be found here.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Don't think I'm dissing it, there is a really rounded character to it - I think we're at the stage where individual tastes or slight differences in presentation of other elements of the chain (room and speakers dominate so much) make the final choice for us. Listening to 8 4 again this afternoon. Just a joy to listen to.

uploaded 6 versions of mqn 2.59 with different alignments for comparison, if you want to try and help find the best version feel free, I haven't listened to them yet. I would set them up in the mqntest.bat file and quickly narrow down the best versions and then compare those until I was happy the best one was had been chosen.

My Autohotkey script was written to save you the trouble of double-clicking on MQn.bat. (I am a lazy guy : I wrote a similar script for Jplaymini). You only need one (hot)key to start playing.

But actually it's usefulness lies in the fact that the script will also convert selected .flac tracks to .wav and correct "funny" characters in the resulting .wav filenames. If you select only .wav, then it will do only the filename corrections.

I have posted a second version of the scripts. The links to my scripts can be found here.

You are lazy to double-click, but I am lazy to learn how to implement scripting, sorry. I will keep double-clicking until you put some smalll guide how to make this work for the people who are not programmers, please...LOL.

Sbgk have a guy trying to play having problems. Using a 64 bit amd processor. AMD Athlon II X2. Have advised him to download an sse2 exe file and waiting for him to reply. Can you confirm what files he needs to load to try it out?

If I can drag myself away from the version(2.59 8 8) will try some of the latest versions!

Sbgk have a guy trying to play having problems. Using a 64 bit amd processor. AMD Athlon II X2. Have advised him to download an sse2 exe file and waiting for him to reply. Can you confirm what files he needs to load to try it out?

If I can drag myself away from the version(2.59 8 8) will try some of the latest versions!

googling it says its sse4a compatibly for the AMD Athlon II X2 not exactly sure what that means but sse2 should be working with the mqn two core affinity, if that works try the sse4

i think ive one of these processors in a pc ill check it out for you if ye are still having bother in the next day are so

You are lazy to double-click, but I am lazy to learn how to implement scripting, sorry. I will keep double-clicking until you put some smalll guide how to make this work for the people who are not programmers, please...LOL.

im going to need a bit of help with this too to show me where these go where folders should be etc,

scripting is one of my very weak spots

Hi Nigel, It is one of the PFM fellows who wants to try it but is having trouble getting it going. TBH I think I would need to do a teamviewer to see what is going on. Not sure what a few of these lads are doing. They could be doing it totally right but have no real way of telling. How are the new batteries? Will take that question back to home base don't want to go off on a tangent here.

Just an update after finally getting my Zuma setup for MQN. I had to go for a wintogo usb server 2012 r2 minimal install as getting the CF SATA drive or and SSD drive setup was taking too long with silly issues. I have copied WAV files to the same usb stick with the server 2012 OS. Well I am sitting here listening to 2.59 ssse4 intel ms drive 8 4 playing back 24 192 files and they sound absolutely stunning....beyond expectations really as I did not hear much of an impact on listening to 24 96 files on earlier versions. I have not had time to try other 2.59 versions but I was so surprised to try a 24 192 file and it played with the best sounds from my system so far. I had issues through my Paul Pang usb card previously being unable to play these files with JPlay and server 2012 R1 optimised with kernel streaming. I have to say that you will have little to do with HiRez playback sbgk especially when it comes to the xmos usb implementation. Really great sound here. Looking forward to more listening during the week and getting server core on to the compact flash SATA drive at some point but so far a wintogo stick is doing a great job. Well done and I might have to go again to the donation site after this evening!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Hi Nigel, It is one of the PFM fellows who wants to try it but is having trouble getting it going. TBH I think I would need to do a teamviewer to see what is going on. Not sure what a few of these lads are doing. They could be doing it totally right but have no real way of telling. How are the new batteries? Will take that question back to home base don't want to go off on a tangent here.

nothing more id love to do than help out some fellows on PFM especially after yesterdays performance

i assume this guys genuinely interested

make sure theres nothing hogging the dac jplay services etc

sse2 and mqncontrol no affinity should work on everything within reason

if theres sound change up to sse4 and see what happens

lifepo4's are closer to you tony there still in the tnt depot

ill post somewhere and let you know how i get on

wouldn't bother with those versions, have discovered one of the instructions was responsible for removing the emotion from the sound so am working on the best version with that change. shall post it later.

Ok Pearse when you are back from your travels will have to get that meitner and zuma over for some double blind testing. Can you bring the black scarves and testing sheets. Nigel can bring the lifepo4's I wonder should they be double blind tested also just to be sure?

Nigel this guy is genuinely interested so curious to see if your amd works. I really shouldn't have started that thread as it is so obvious where it is going to lead.

Just an update after finally getting my Zuma setup for MQN. I had to go for a wintogo usb server 2012 r2 minimal install as getting the CF SATA drive or and SSD drive setup was taking too long with silly issues. I have copied WAV files to the same usb stick with the server 2012 OS. Well I am sitting here listening to 2.59 ssse4 intel ms drive 8 4 playing back 24 192 files and they sound absolutely stunning....beyond expectations really as I did not hear much of an impact on listening to 24 96 files on earlier versions. I have not had time to try other 2.59 versions but I was so surprised to try a 24 192 file and it played with the best sounds from my system so far. I had issues through my Paul Pang usb card previously being unable to play these files with JPlay and server 2012 R1 optimised with kernel streaming. I have to say that you will have little to do with HiRez playback sbgk especially when it comes to the xmos usb implementation. Really great sound here. Looking forward to more listening during the week and getting server core on to the compact flash SATA drive at some point but so far a wintogo stick is doing a great job. Well done and I might have to go again to the donation site after this evening!!

sounds like positive progress, the code optimisation is even more critical/beneficial to hirez due to the data volumes. Shall need to increase the donation target.

googling it says its sse4a compatibly for the AMD Athlon II X2 not exactly sure what that means but sse2 should be working with the mqn two core affinity, if that works try the sse4

i think ive one of these processors in a pc ill check it out for you if ye are still having bother in the next day are so

MQn can be compiled for AMD, it makes a difference for atom, but no one has tried an AMD version, but can do one if required.

Can you describe what versions of all programs you're using to make 24/192 fly, please? I just can't make it happen yet.

SBGK- I know more about this now, actually it would work if I disconnect USB cable and play it on computer only, if this helps at all.

wouldn't bother with those versions, have discovered one of the instructions was responsible for removing the emotion from the sound so am working on the best version with that change. shall post it later.

i was just thinking that was alot of homework for a sunday evening

lucky i didnt start

MQn can be compiled for AMD, it makes a difference for atom, but no one has tried an AMD version, but can do one if required.

If it is not too much effort sbgk? A few guys on another forum expressed interest in trying but they seem to have amd processors.

This is not for me all my processors are intel based.

Can you describe what versions of all programs you're using to make 24/192 fly, please? I just can't make it happen yet.

SBGK- I know more about this now, actually it would work if I disconnect USB cable and play it on computer only, if this helps at all.

std MQn does 24 bit in 32 folder, most dacs only do 24 in 24

ive got an arcam rpac that is able for 24 192 and everything below

Dacs with the xmos chip and thesycon drivers mostly seem compatable

is this the dac that plays 24/96 ok with the 24 bit version ? shall definitely do the 24 bit version this week.