IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

2.48 ntdqdqnt r8 is a bit different to 2.48 ntdqdqnt, did you try it ? Thought 2.48 movaps was a bit phasey, did you find this ?

2.48 ntdqdqnt r8 is a bit better than 2.48 ntdqdqnt.

bass: vibration OK, long finished/depth ~ v1.2. but weight is a bit over => raised internal noise, affect to other sounds. need better layers in stage as v1.2.

drum+bass: not strong/power as v1.2 (although weight/volume is bigger)

vocal: OK, i think better than v1.2, try keep it on next versions.

i feel vibration of many sounds is OK, will try later with piano.

downloaded mqnplay 1.2 is that the right one

is there a certain mqncontrol i need as well

all im getting here is a garbled mess

btw

2.48 ntdqdqnt r8 has the best detail and timing ive ever heard

mqn.exev1.2 (187 KB (192,000 bytes)), run without mqncontrol, need only MQn.bat, paste.exe.

...The use of MFC setting is completely counter intuitive as MQn doesn't use MFC, my thinking is that there are some windows libraries that are used and they sound better when imported as part of the static MFC library than when shared windows libraries are used...

right. even re-write code of functions that called many times by loop. API calls by loop are more dangerous, because many APIs functions is multi-tasks, not good, they are shared and maybe in use. waiting for next 2.48 xx.

interesting post no 5 on jplay forum from loworbit which I'll answer here

MQN thread - who's using it and how? | Computer Audio | Forum | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

He says it's about as good as an optimised jplay 2 pc set up, sound is very revealing, very dynamic, he then has a moan about it being flaky, can't play unicode filenames, is wav only, one man operation and won't play hirez on his 24 bit dac.

This is astounding progress for MQn, something written by a complete novice in a couple of months is as good, in terms of SQ, as a multi award winning leading audiophile player that has taken 2 people many years to develop and MQn still has a number of things to try that will improve SQ.

Hi sbgk I am the muppet who wrote the above. Please don't take it the wrong way - I think what you've done is remarkable. I really like the sound from the various versions of your app that I have tried (and I intend to try others when I get a chance). That's kind of why the little issues (hirez files - I seem to get some working, others not) stand out - they stop me playing some fave tunes in your player. I certainly am not moaning, just being clear. As one man developing his skills and knowledge whilst developing this thing, you have achieved something very good indeed. I just converted 7000 FLACs to WAV so I can play more music using your player. Compared to JPlay or Cplay, or many others, MQnPlayer is a little flaky (I've had a few issues with it not starting at all, and no obvious means of diagnosing the issue) but it competes with those much more mature packages and wins in pure sound quality on my quite revealing active system. I shall continue following the progress of your work alongside the more established offerings (well I paid the JPlay, JRiver and XXHighend License fees along the way, so loathe to drop them completely) and a couple of other offerings from the industrious enthusiasts who make their efforts available to us armchair critics. [Why does my RETURN key not return a result?]

Hi sbgk I am the muppet who wrote the above. Please don't take it the wrong way - I think what you've done is remarkable. I really like the sound from the various versions of your app that I have tried (and I intend to try others when I get a chance). That's kind of why the little issues (hirez files - I seem to get some working, others not) stand out - they stop me playing some fave tunes in your player. I certainly am not moaning, just being clear. As one man developing his skills and knowledge whilst developing this thing, you have achieved something very good indeed. I just converted 7000 FLACs to WAV so I can play more music using your player. Compared to JPlay or Cplay, or many others, MQnPlayer is a little flaky (I've had a few issues with it not starting at all, and no obvious means of diagnosing the issue) but it competes with those much more mature packages and wins in pure sound quality on my quite revealing active system. I shall continue following the progress of your work alongside the more established offerings (well I paid the JPlay, JRiver and XXHighend License fees along the way, so loathe to drop them completely) and a couple of other offerings from the industrious enthusiasts who make their efforts available to us armchair critics. [Why does my RETURN key not return a result?]

no problem, the only bit that I objected to was expecting it to be a fully fledged player when clearly the emphasis is on improving SQ by experimentation.

It is doing something a bit close to the edge in the assembly coded memcpy function that sometimes means it doesn't start or it stops if there is some other activity, this will be fixed in the future as will unicode file support, 24 bit playback etc.

Is the issue you had playing other formats due to your dac being 24 bit ? MQn supports 24 in 32 up to 192 as that's what my DAC accepts.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

For those who tried the integration with Foobar and didn't succeed, there is one additional step: download the foo_runcmd component and copy the dll to Foobar's component folder. It works!

Next, I'll try to make MQn play flacs.

well done A, I haven't tried to get it working on ws2012 yet, needs a stop macro button added and remote access set up so that it can be run from a notepad device. Shall have a look at the flac issue tonight.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

no problem, the only bit that I objected to was expecting it to be a fully fledged player when clearly the emphasis is on improving SQ by experimentation.

It is doing something a bit close to the edge in the assembly coded memcpy function that sometimes means it doesn't start or it stops if there is some other activity, this will be fixed in the future as will unicode file support, 24 bit playback etc.

Is the issue you had playing other formats due to your dac being 24 bit ? MQn supports 24 in 32 up to 192 as that's what my DAC accepts.

Hi

Not a criticism, at all, never expected a fully fledged product with interface and everything polished. I like the raw simplicity - especially if it brings big benefits in SQ. That's my main concern.

My DAC is 32 bit, Twisted Pear Buffalo (ESS Sabre 9018 chip) with WAVEIO USB 2 interface. 24 bit in 32 bit container is supported and rates upto 384k. TBH with SQ like MQn gives on red book, hi rez is a luxury. I just have some music only in higher rez formats (mostly 88,96 and 192).

The issues manifest like this: When I click on the shortcut to launch MQnPlayer after selecting certain files, the player window opens, then closes very quickly. And rest assured, after a few short months, you're a lot further along than certain other much-touted audiophile players were after sometimes longer development windows.

to tell what format you need do the following :-

download wasapi_test from the test folder run it like this from a cmd window

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxx>cd c:\

c:\>cd vs2012

c:\vs2012>wasapi_test

wasapi_test -?

wasapi_test --list-devices

wasapi_test [--device "Device long name"]

-? prints this message.

--list-devices displays the long names of all active playback devices.

--device "Device long name" tests all supported audio formats

--verbose lists failed formats as well

c:\vs2012>wasapi_test --list-devices

Active render endpoints found: 1

Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

c:\vs2012>wasapi_test --device "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)"

and post the following section

EXCLUSIVE: on EVENT DRIVEN: on

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

44100 16 2 176400 4 1 0 - Format works ok

44100 16 2 176400 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

44100 32 2 352800 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

48000 16 2 192000 4 1 0 - Format works ok

48000 16 2 192000 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

48000 32 2 384000 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

96000 16 2 384000 4 1 0 - Format works ok

96000 16 2 384000 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

96000 32 2 768000 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

192000 16 2 768000 4 1 0 - Format works ok

192000 16 2 768000 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

192000 32 2 1536000 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

Is Flac that much of an issue, uncompressed wav is supposed to be the best, we should convert what flac's we have- to shorten load time

other formats and hi res are a more pending issue,

think about it

hi res with the ability to output the detail thru MQn

JC

got new ram to get back to 800mhz tried 6-6-6-11, thought i lost too much detail

so im at 11-11-11-24 after advice from a jplay forum member a sort of happy medium

any other thoughts?

I'm going to have to stop developing MQn, someone has already developed the best player - check out post 3, 5 and 6 in this thread

Check out MQN

foobar memory play is a good example of how the sound gets hard and digital when memory play is employed. MQn doesn't have this issue. I've noticed it with JRMC, JPlay, foobar etc

Is Flac that much of an issue, uncompressed wav is supposed to be the best, we should convert what flac's we have- to shorten load time

think tagging wav is the main issue for use of flac, I use dbpoweramp to tag wavs. with the cost of storage these days it's an option to have the backups in flac and the player music in wav, which is what I do.

I just started using MQn a few days ago, and all I can say is, I'm impressed. It may sound crazy, but I can not get controls working to pause skip and so on. Whatever I press, program would start rapidly producing weird sound and it stops working any farther. What am I doing wrong?

I am running Win7 and latest MQnControl program.