IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

I must have unintentionally given you the impression I could only play 24 bit when we were discussing HD playback. I am playing 16/44.1 no problem. I'm using the standard mqncontrol.exe

The the system is i5 HP laptop, W8, Metrum Octave DAC with iUSBPower, John Chapman AVC-1 / Dave Slagle AVC preamp into 300B SE amps + XTZ Sub Amp 1 DSP feeding some big open baffle speakers which are Bastanis / Trans-Fi hybrids (10" wideband with two 15 bass dipoles per side).

that's strange because 16/44.1 didn't come up as a valid option in your wasapi test results only 24/44.1, wonder if they are incorrect. It's good news because it means creating the 24 bit version will be simpler, hopefully get something out tonight/tomorrow with the 2.43 add xmm code in it as well.

it was RM that couldn't play 16/44.1.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

that's strange because 16/44.1 didn't come up as a valid option in your wasapi test results only 24/44.1, wonder if they are incorrect. It's good news because it means creating the 24 bit version will be simpler, hopefully get something out tonight/tomorrow with the 2.43 add xmm code in it as well.

it was RM that couldn't play 16/44.1.

This may be the source of the confusion. I've not run a wasapi test.

2.43 lost some of the treble, have uploaded 2.43 -128 which brings it back,but whether it is too much, time will tell.

too much and not enough bass, 2.43 add xmm has better balance

the logical progression of 2.43 are these 2 versions

2.43 add rax no xmm

2.43 add rax

was never convinced about the treble in 2.43 add xmm, there was always something a bit veiled about it. Am listening to 2.43 add rax and so far no hard treble, the 2.43 add rax no xmm is a less disciplined sound, but some may find attractive. The add rax is technically more correct - code wise.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

2.43 add rax sounds best on my system for now.

One thing mates, SBGK should decide which version is the best as he is the programmer of MQn.

If someone needs more bass, please use some EQ. I prefer natural and as much as possible balanced sound with perfect details.

Thanks again SBGK!

One thing mates, SBGK should decide which version is the best as he is the programmer of MQn.

If someone needs more bass, please use some EQ. I prefer natural and as much as possible balanced sound with perfect details.

Thanks again SBGK!

Thanks John.

there are a few more things to try, yet.

think there are plenty of players where the programmer decided what was best, so am open to all feedback, I couldn't have got this far without people telling me when the sound was going in the wrong direction.

The best player is no player and hopefully I have minimised MQn substantially, but the sound is still heavily influenced by the instructions used.

The difference between 2.43 add rax and add xmm is the counter in add rax is a 64 bit version of the register and add xmm it's a 32 bit version, so am guessing the 32 bit version has a few more instructions that the 64 bit doesn't eg the 32 bit adds zeros up to 64 bits (they use the same 64 bit register, but you can use it as 8, 16, 32 or 64 bit).

The 32 bit version was useful when the sound was too bright and it toned the sound down a bit, but also veiled some of the detail. Well that's the story today, it might change.

the logical progression of 2.43 are these 2 versions

2.43 add rax no xmm

2.43 add rax

was never convinced about the treble in 2.43 add xmm, there was always something a bit veiled about it. Am listening to 2.43 add rax and so far no hard treble, the 2.43 add rax no xmm is a less disciplined sound, but some may find attractive. The add rax is technically more correct - code wise.

prefer 2.40 over 2.40 to 2.43 (exclude 2.41 movq). in terms of 3D and instruments' positioning and balance between instruments' roles, not better than 2.40.

in 2.40, instruments are disintegrated and well-spread/positioned, no one instrument is trying too hard, hence great for monitoring.

in 2.43 add rax no xmm, stage is messy.

in 2.43 add rax, stage is less but still messy, coz instruments can compete for attention and can be weak, hence not good.

in general, 2.43 is very easy on the ear.

Thanks again SBGK!

please don't EQ MQn, you will ruin it.

prefer 2.40 over 2.40 to 2.43 (exclude 2.41 movq). in terms of 3D and instruments' positioning and balance between instruments' roles, not better than 2.40.

in 2.40, instruments are disintegrated and well-spread/positioned, no one instrument is trying too hard, hence great for monitoring.

in 2.43 add rax no xmm, stage is messy.

in 2.43 add rax, stage is less but still messy, coz instruments can compete for attention and can be weak, hence not good.

in general, 2.43 is very easy on the ear.

hi jesuscheung,

soundstage easily give false effect.

wider soundstage=>more clearly/slight/detail, solo-vocal position is nearer, not correct

in all versions MQn soundstage is over norm for stereo, so vocal give us not the same feeling, sometimes interesting, sometimes not. when stage/3Dwide is correct, vocal is exactly clarity, like as singer standing in front of me

soundstage: nopgomemcpy > 2.38 8 8 > 2.43 add rax. but nopgomemcpy stage is more (a bit, little).

i have own method for testing it.

take some solo-vocal track, best to cut it off by wav sound editor for having only vocal, without other sounds, mono. i use Barbra Streisand - Guilty/03.Run Wild (her voice easy to detect) and take some players for testing: JPlay5.1, JEP2.4.1Pro-x64 (not for AVX, this version is better than other JEP), foobar2000 1.1.8, and many MQn verions. test by simple headphones without any sound effect, at night.

exact/correct of solo-vocal position: JEP2.4.1Pro-x64 > JPlay5.1 > nopgomemcpy > 2.38 8 8 > 2.43 add rax > foobar2000 1.1.8

jesuscheung, i think as adjust binoculars, when tune is correct, image is best. exists only one true point/focus, otherwise object present is not true, not good. JEP2.4.1Pro-x64 give exactly clarity vocal. correct stage/3Dwide give us not as clearly/detail as we thought, as we want. but everything is enough.

I recommend you to test, interesting, although it take your time.

soundstage has caused us many difficulties and problems.

...JEP2.4.1Pro-x64 give exactly clarity vocal. correct stage/3Dwide give us not as clearly/detail as we thought, as we want. but everything is enough.

I recommend you to test....

JEP IS dangerous to test! you can catch a trojan, and JEP can modify registry without telling you about it. alright, i will do this just for you. (already tried JEP 2.7.2, it wasn't good at all). would you mind giving me a download link?

JEP IS dangerous to test! you can catch a trojan, and JEP can modify registry without telling you about it. alright, i will do this just for you. (already tried JEP 2.7.2, it wasn't good at all). would you mind giving me a download link?

JEP2.4.1Pro-x64(non-AVX) is pretty good! (much better than 2.7.2?) instruments' positioning is pretty good. needs better volume distribution and more details among instruments to justify its correctness in soundstage. don't think it has anything else better than MQn....

have you tried hqplayer? it has a decent/easy soundstage. it doesn't do anything too much. it plays safe.

XA also has a different soundstage, sometimes it is dreamy great, sometimes i just hate it.

every player i know has a different soundstage.

JEP2.4.1Pro-x64(non-AVX) is pretty good! (much better than 2.7.2?) instruments' positioning is pretty good. needs better volume distribution and more details among instruments to justify its correctness in soundstage. don't think it has anything else better than MQn....

have you tried hqplayer? it has a decent/easy soundstage. it doesn't do anything too much. it plays safe.

XA also has a different soundstage, sometimes it is dreamy great, sometimes i just hate it.

every player i know has a different soundstage.

i mean JEP2.4.1Pro-x64(non-AVX) have good true vocal, other else less than MQn. all JEP versions which i can download give not good bass.

2.43: 2.43 add rax no xmm better, its bass have good vibration, but not as good as nopgomemcpy.

nopgomemcpy have most pretty bass (incl. drum sound) in comparision with other players as JPlay, JEP, JRiver, Foobar/XA, XXhighend, HQplayer. nopgomemcpy bass is very good vibration and pressure (mellow, but power. power, but mellow). unfortunately, it have digital edge and noise, i agree as sbgk said.

MQn development is best way because minimalist shell + core, assembly. i like its optimization. moreover, sbgk let us environment that we can comfortable comment. thanks, sbgk.

i mean JEP2.4.1Pro-x64(non-AVX) have good true vocal, other else less than MQn. all JEP versions which i can download give not good bass.

2.43: 2.43 add rax no xmm better, its bass have good vibration, but not as good as nopgomemcpy.

nopgomemcpy have most pretty bass (incl. drum sound) in comparision with other players as JPlay, JEP, JRiver, Foobar/XA, XXhighend, HQplayer. nopgomemcpy bass is very good vibration and pressure (mellow, but power. power, but mellow). unfortunately, it have digital edge and noise, i agree as sbgk said.

MQn development is best way because minimalist shell + core, assembly. i like its optimization. moreover, sbgk let us environment that we can comfortable comment. thanks, sbgk.

MQn does sound analog right out of the box.

don't worry too much about digital edge, it goes away with better tuned machine. even flash player in youtube sounds ok analog for me.

uploaded 2.43 prefetch nt x 4, a bit more of everything

2.43 prefetch nt x 4

spotlighted/condensed/blurred. lost a lot of vibration. (try add 0.05v/0.1v to your CPU voltage, it creates very similar effect). think this is the first version that stage is naturally/effortlessly going into the ears.

definitely a new discovery/breakthrough in effortless sound! (despite the obvious flaws)

2.43 prefetch nt x 4

spotlighted/condensed/blurred. lost a lot of vibration. (try add 0.05v/0.1v to your CPU voltage, it creates very similar effect). think this is the first version that stage is naturally/effortlessly going into the ears.

definitely a new discovery/breakthrough in effortless sound! (despite the obvious flaws)

agree, "effortlessly going into the ears", reason in better SQ, but not in soundstage. there's 3Dwide too much, near sound, but not earache, because sound is mellow, reasonable. i think its sharpness in norm, not blurred.

vocal position is near, mellow but not slight, OK.

bass is better, ~ 2.43 add rax no xmm (2.43 add rax no xmm & 2.43 prefetch nt x 4 give bass better than any other 2.3x, 2.4x), but near at ears.

i think need to reduce soundstage/3D, sbgk. try to keep quality of bass and more when reducing sound wide. difficult, maybe successful.

Re soundstage, I can only comment that this is very similar to my two record decks so I'm not convinced this is an issue.

The record decks are Garrard 301 with OL Encounter arm and London Reference cartridge; Trans-Fi Salvation with Transfiguration Spirit cartridge.

Re soundstage, I can only comment that this is very similar to my two record decks so I'm not convinced this is an issue.

The record decks are Garrard 301 with OL Encounter arm and London Reference cartridge; Trans-Fi Salvation with Transfiguration Spirit cartridge.

I recommend you try to detect by headphones, max volume.

I recommend you try to detect by headphones, max volume.

Purely my personal take: I don't use headphones and I wouldn't use them at max volume, I value my hearing too much. My thoughts on the sound of MQn relate to my normal listening which is via my open baffle speakers. I can't comment on any headphone effects. sbgk will hopefully take everyone's views into account along very much with his own.

If you find the soundstage too 3D via headphones, how do you find the soundstage with a high-end record deck, is this also too big? Soundstage is one area where redbook playback has lagged behind vinyl, MQn for me fixes this.

2.43 prefetch nt x 4

spotlighted/condensed/blurred. lost a lot of vibration...

sorry. NO lost in vibration. just the light toughs on instruments like guitar, piano sounds blurred or lacks weight. just the small details seems a bit unclear. pretty great in general.

actually heavy toughs on instruments or singing have a lot of weight. which should be a good thing, more powerful? just the light toughs got weaker i think.