IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

Hello sbgk,

I would love to try your player and to compare it to JPLAY on audio dedicated pc with some linear ps's and dedicated usb card (heavy optimized Windows Server 2012, minimal gui) + usb Arcam rDac, but it seems everything i tried failed: followed readme file, and tried all three types of MQNPLAY, also 24bit ones from archive (my dac on kernel streaming wants 24bit to be set in order to play) and no sound. I see just a songname and a timestamp and curson blinking. Any advice how to proceed? Thanks.

since you like exenopgomemcpy, i assume you are used to the intense/control/rich/dense sound. 10000 will make sound intenser and more control than using a optimal clock rate. maybe why you like it. i mean true sound includes the airy feeling. it is missing in exenopgomemcpy. 23220 should make it more airy/less earache for MQn. and coz exenopgomemcpy sounds control, it sounds better in higher jitter/more digital noise environment, i think you are too used to control/intense/rich sound.

i feel sound has more echo when 23220 or 46440. Sometime i love this sound, sometime not... So i think it's false intense.

maybe you are right, i will try it again.

i feel sound has more echo when 23220 or 46440. Sometime i love this sound, sometime not... So i think it's false intense.

maybe you are right, i will try it again.

just so you know, 23220 is calculated for MQn only. JIE WASAPI can sound worse. if you don't mind testing, set it to 1 or 100000. i've seen people do that.

tried 2.37 all three of them. i am not sure about this one...

i think that 2.29 is a product of 2.15 to 2.28. it is the state of the art after SSE4 version is introduced. this is a great version. from 2.30, mods/changes here and there, some losses and some gains.

prior to 2.29, i like 2.10 to 2.13 for vocal with emotion.

prior to 2.10, i love 2.82 for piano sounds, i am telling you, this version is god like for piano. it makes my CD player/speakers way overpriced. it is open/airy/crisp/real. the better the tuning of OS/BIOS, the better this 2.82 sounds. bass is good too, extremely good vibration, but like lekt said, bass is near and earache comes.

finally, the nopgomemcpy. it is the most real/intense. bass is best, has great vibration and correct positioning. the vocal has breath.

uploaded a version which I discounted, but now sounds ok. 2.36 no wc no xmm, shall try a wc version tonight

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

uploaded a version which I discounted, but now sounds ok. 2.36 no wc no xmm, shall try a wc version tonight

last versions i feel afraid while listening, difficult to explain. be wary of ultrasound, maybe.

too detail, too clearly, too wide, too near at ears, over necessary norms.

2.36 no wc no xmm

instruments sound very well spread/positioned. also no one instrument is too loud/distracting. i can follow any instrument. good vibration/richness.

volume sounds normalized for trebles? heard better in terms of free/open. not airy. stage sounds narrower (but what defines correct for stage size?).

2.37 wc no xmm sub -128

very(most?) detail. background music/instruments is not well-defined like 2.36 no wc no xmm, but it sounds very musical/working very good together that brings out the main music very well! this makes 2.36 sounds like the soulless hd800(brings out all details/clarity for no particular reason).

vocal is pretty good. female vocal can be little hard. not intense but rich with some vibration. making good progress!

bass. ask lekt.

2.36 no wc no xmm

instruments sound very well spread/positioned. also no one instrument is too loud/distracting. i can follow any instrument. good vibration/richness.

volume sounds normalized for trebles? heard better in terms of free/open. not airy. stage sounds narrower (but what defines correct for stage size?).

i has incorrect tweaking win8 and has wrong comment in previous PM about 4 last versions. Sorry, sbgk & jesuscheung. Now i made re-tweaking.

i agree with jesuscheung about 2.36 no wc no xmm. Now testing accuracy. Maybe this version better nopgomemcpy?

Just i hope drum beats little better, as like as nopgomemcpy, then this version would be great.

2.37 wc no xmm sub -128

pretty good piano sound reproduction. richer/crispier than 2.82. somehow i am not enjoying as much as i am with 2.82. pretty sure it is because 2.37 is incorrect- i keep getting distracted by thinking that "this piano needs to be tuned"! (you see, piano sound goes wrong if the piano is not tuned regularly)

2.36 no wc no xmm

Am hoping that the wc version will sound better, shall build it tonight.

So are we agreed that 2.36 no wc no xmm which is a ntdqa ntdq version is better than the dqa dqa and dqa ntdq versions ?

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

2.37 wc no xmm sub -128

pretty good piano sound reproduction. richer/crispier than 2.82. somehow i am not enjoying as much as i am with 2.82. pretty sure it is because 2.37 is incorrect- i keep getting distracted by thinking that "this piano needs to be tuned"! (you see, piano sound goes wrong if the piano is not tuned regularly)

just not convinced by this version, sounded ok to start with, but seems to be a loss of detail

Hello sbgk,

I would love to try your player and to compare it to JPLAY on audio dedicated pc with some linear ps's and dedicated usb card (heavy optimized Windows Server 2012, minimal gui) + usb Arcam rDac, but it seems everything i tried failed: followed readme file, and tried all three types of MQNPLAY, also 24bit ones from archive (my dac on kernel streaming wants 24bit to be set in order to play) and no sound. I see just a songname and a timestamp and curson blinking. Any advice how to proceed? Thanks.

suspect the 2 audio services required for wasapi + mmcss have been disabled/switched off, reenable and you should be ok. Think there is an rDAC user.

So are we agreed that 2.36 no wc no xmm which is a ntdqa ntdq version is better than the dqa dqa and dqa ntdq versions ?

tough one! can't really decide. not sure. they are all pretty goood.

2.36 no wc no xmm does have the cleanest SQ but treble is suppressed. not sure i like its well-positioned background music either(too discipline?). the other versions are more free-flowing.

2.37 wc no xmm sub -128 probably has best vocal of the lots, coz it is softer, not sure either.

for me, pretty much it is a battle between

2.36 no wc no xmm

2.37 wc no xmm sub -128.

is 2.36 treble really suppressed or am i just used to hearing a stronger treble?

2.36 is definitely your best work on soundstage. totally 3d. too good. can distract me from listening to the main music- maybe i need to get used to it?

the strong reasons to choose 2.36 will be richness+good vibration+3d+warm

reasons for 2.37. a little more crispier, airier, more treble(or too much?), non-3d good background music.

...about 2.36 no wc no xmm. Now testing accuracy. Maybe this version better nopgomemcpy?...

not better in total, sbgk. although better in some details.

bass sound have some layers. low layer associated with drum sound. there is poorly this layer, because power of drum beat not enough. Why is that? 3D surround effect killed it. I think need to reduce the soundstage (little, little!), to necessary norms, as vinyl stereo effect.

After that, sound will have better resonance. I think that.

not better in total, sbgk. although better in some details.

bass sound have some layers. low layer associated with drum sound. there is poorly this layer, because power of drum beat not enough. Why is that? 3D surround effect killed it. I think need to reduce the soundstage (little, little!), to necessary norms, as vinyl stereo effect.

After that, sound will have better resonance. I think that.

agree. 2.36 is muddier with piano sound, 3D effect killed it?

Hi JC, had a short listening today on 2[1].37 wc no xmm sub -128 with the suggested ram timing tweak. A general feeling is that it delivers music as smooth as silk. I started from the factory defa of 9,9,9,24,1 and step jump down to 6,6,6,11,x. (CPU setting not altered). At 6,6,6 my computer fails to boot. So 7,7,7,13 is my bottom limit. Wonderfully it suits all type of music and vocal, only that for rock, I prefer a bit more aggressive touch with 88815. Any futher advice ?

Hi JC, had a short listening today on 2[1].37 wc no xmm sub -128 with the suggested ram timing tweak. A general feeling is that it delivers music as smooth as silk. I started from the factory defa of 9,9,9,24,1 and step jump down to 6,6,6,11,x. (CPU setting not altered). At 6,6,6 my computer fails to boot. So 7,7,7,13 is my bottom limit. Wonderfully it suits all type of music and vocal, only that for rock, I prefer a bit more aggressive touch with 88815. Any futher advice ?

thx for the feedback!!!!! firstly, iori, this is overclocking ram... i didn't say you do that lol... i assume your ram is running at 1600Mhz? you must have increased ram voltage for 7-7-7-13 and 8-8-8-15, right? you better check you have enough voltage. if you have a z77 board like me, you can (safely) use voltage up to 1.75v.

secondly, tightest timing doesn't make best SQ. you need to check whether you like 7-7-7 or 8-8-8 or 9-9-9 or even 10-10-10. i bet 7-7-7 is as smooth as you never imagined, but be careful timing this tight will lose you details. make sure you don't lose details while having the benefit of smoothness/airy feeling/less earache experience/better clarity.

since you like 8-8-8-15, you can try 8-8-8-23, 8-8-8-31, 8-8-8-39, 8-8-8-47, and so on....

you see the pattern right?

these are the best timings for 8-8-8 for you.

because you overclocking, you might like to find the best voltage for SQ. when i did 8-8-8-15 1600Mhz with my ram, think i used 1.6v. basically too much voltage will cause distortion in SQ and coldness. too tight voltage will be a bit harsh in treble.

currently, i downclocked to 800Mhz, 6-6-6-11, 1.5v. the best setting for SQ i have discovered so far.

(by the way, this methods applies for MQn. a different player like XA needs a slightly different timing, same method)

what brand ram you got?

sbgk,

I've just installed fresh win server 2012 gui.

as i've re-enabled those win-audio services, when i press mqn.bat cmd window opens and instantly closes and still no sound (though i can play music through foobar via kernel streaming or wasapi; both after setting 24bit output in foobar settings). what further steps could i take? what your files should i use (usb rdac, sandy i5) ? Thanks.

is it possible to get the latest version to try out?

could i get the link plz?

rapidshare have lost their minds and decided to upgrade to an unusable web page in the middle of Friday afternoon, it is painful to use, I shall be looking for an alternative, here is the link (only got it working using chrome) the link opens at the mqn folder click on it to expand, maybe takes several clicks, it says select file and click on the download button, there is no download button just double click on the file

have uploaded mqnplay 2.38 sse4 intel

this is the wc version that I mentioned in previous posts, I think I like it. Have moved the other 2.36 and 2.37 files to the testing folder.

archive share

http://rapidshare.com/share/B7B7CB22CCBF9A29F990A3352C660CFE

mqn and test share

http://rapidshare.com/share/A71A4BE156DCC73DD817DAD83EA732AA

Anyone recommend a file sharing site that treats their users with respect.

sbgk,

I've just installed fresh win server 2012 gui.

as i've re-enabled those win-audio services, when i press mqn.bat cmd window opens and instantly closes and still no sound (though i can play music through foobar via kernel streaming or wasapi; both after setting 24bit output in foobar settings). what further steps could i take? what your files should i use (usb rdac, sandy i5) ? Thanks.

did you download the paste.exe, mqncontrol.exe and mqnplay.exe and did you edit the mqn.bat with the directory name. Are you selecting a wav file in explorer and right mouse click select copy to copy it to the clipboard and then double clicking mqn.bat ?

download wasapi_test from the test folder, then type in the commands in a console window as below and post the output for exlusive on and event on, my copy is below

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxx>cd c:\

c:\>cd vs2012

c:\vs2012>wasapi_test

wasapi_test -?

wasapi_test --list-devices

wasapi_test [--device "Device long name"]

-? prints this message.

--list-devices displays the long names of all active playback devices.

--device "Device long name" tests all supported audio formats

--verbose lists failed formats as well

c:\vs2012>wasapi_test --list-devices

Active render endpoints found: 1

Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

c:\vs2012>wasapi_test --device "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)"

EXCLUSIVE: on EVENT DRIVEN: on

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

44100 16 2 176400 4 1 0 - Format works ok

44100 16 2 176400 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

44100 32 2 352800 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

48000 16 2 192000 4 1 0 - Format works ok

48000 16 2 192000 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

48000 32 2 384000 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

96000 16 2 384000 4 1 0 - Format works ok

96000 16 2 384000 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

96000 32 2 768000 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

192000 16 2 768000 4 1 0 - Format works ok

192000 16 2 768000 4 65534 22 16 3 - Format works ok

192000 32 2 1536000 8 65534 22 24 3 - Format works ok

so the 96000 shows my dac needs 24 bit packed in 32 bits, you might have 24 in 24 in which case MQn can't play.

Ive grabbed the files from that link you posted -2nd one, done everything you said and still no sound

Ive got nad51, same as you, and i still cant make it work

I get the feelig ive got some services missing or something. I might be using some wrong files too. In the command prompt right at the beginning it read cant find the path, that is vs 2012

would love to make it work but Im really lost

Ive grabbed the files from that link you posted -2nd one, done everything you said and still no sound

Ive got nad51, same as you, and i still cant make it work

I get the feelig ive got some services missing or something. I might be using some wrong files too. In the command prompt right at the beginning it read cant find the path, that is vs 2012

would love to make it work but Im really lost

is there anything in the param.txt file or files.txt ?