IGNORED

Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories)" - new surround sound audiophile benchmark?

I've been listening to the Blu Ray of this incredible album over the last week - it is truly magnificent!

Steven Wilson hired Alan Parsons to be the engineer for this album and the sound quality is really outstanding - it is one of the best sounding albums in my collection

Amazon.com: Raven That Refused To Sing (Steven Wilson) [blu-ray Audio]: Steven Wilson, not listed: Movies & TV

Contents:

- Album in 5.1 LPCM 24 bits, 96 Khz

- Album in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround

- Album in 2.0 stereo, 24 bit, 96Khz

- Instrumental album in 2.0 stereo, 24 bit, 96Khz

- Documentary on the making of the album

I ripped the 24/96 songs from the Blue Ray, and I've also been listening to the album through my new Meridian Explorer DAC - it sounds heavenly! The album allegedly was recorded and produced with no compression and with a very wide dynamic range. It certainly sounds like it - but I'm wondering if anybody has done the spectral analysis to confirm from a technical point of view?

If true - this is the way all music should be recorded and made available for us audiophiles to enjoy!

Highly recommended album!

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

Indeed I am a huge HUGE Steve Wilson fan. I own all of his DVD-A's and all his concert Blu-Ray's which includes his Porcupine Tree work. I highly suggest you pick up "Get All You Deserve" its his last live concert Blu-Ray and its his "first" 96khz 24bit 5.1 surround mix! Steve Wilson is IMHO the best sound mixer for 5.1 period. That is why King Crimson went to him for the 5.1's of there albums and he is seen in the industry as the go to. I read that he used no compressors on this new album which is nice but the mix for the stereo is not as dynamic as the 5.1 mix. I am waiting for a vinyl rip to compare I wonder if it will be the same stereo mix as the blu ray or it was specifically mastered for vinyl?

The man is a musical genius - nobody else around at the moment quite like him, both for the quality of his recorded music and his stunning live performances. I saw him Monday at the Royal Festival Hall and it's the best I have seen him. It was a little disappointing not to see him play as much guitar, but with Guthrie Govan in his band, as he rightly pointed out, "I don't need to play as much guitar with Guthrie on stage"

I'm a huge fan and The Raven is a superb album :)

Tim

"Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air." - Tom Waits

Main: Custom W10/JRiver/FLAC music server | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | MA Bronze2

Anybody has been able to get the DR from the 24/96 stereo files ripped from the Blu Ray?

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

Well, not quite what you asked for but it "should" be pretty much the same ... but without knowing take this with a grain of salt.

Using the HDtracks 24/96 download then down converting it to 16/44 to accommodate what TT-DR offline 1.4 wants I find that the title song, The Raven that Refused to Sing rates a DR rating of 10. Not great, but not too bad either when compared to many other modern productions.

Sound quality is nice, somewhat compressed and the music is pretty good. I like the download but have not heard the BR, it may be different/better or the same ?

Thank you. I just searched the album in HDTracks and could not find it. The one they currently have is the previous Steven Wilson album "Grace for Drowning" Can you confirm?

I believe Burning Shed does have a 24/96 FLAC download that should be the same source as the BD rip.

Thank you. I just searched the album in HDTracks and could not find it. The one they currently have is the previous Steven Wilson album "Grace for Drowning" Can you confirm?

I believe Burning Shed does have a 24/96 FLAC download that should be the same source as the BD rip.

I went for the Blue-ray in the end as it also includes instrumental versions of each track.

Ive been a fan of his work since I first heard Porcupine Tree in 1997.

Genius!

• 4 weeks later...