IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

Mordante,

Check for the yellowtec puc. You get maybe the best converter, and a good dac is included.

Than in future, you can also use it for other dacs, as converter only.

Think you will be happy, even usb powered..

Jriver MC

hiface2

QuteHD Kingrex supply

Moon i3.3

Dynaudio Confidence C2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Julian,

the MC3+ USB will come at a premium price - for a converter. Once you add a rather cheapish external 10M clock source, e. g. a used Morion MV89a, it is going to be a game changer. Since users on CA seem to be more interested in converters than they are in studio clocks, Mutec certainly have taken the right marketing decision targeting the audiophile market with a combination of their MC3+ (studio clock, reclocker) and the new MC1.2 (converter) in just one box.

I found this information at the Mutec webpage:

http://www.mutec-net.com/downloads/MC3plusUSB_InfoSheet_2014_E.pdf?PHPSESSID=bb6ijqqdl5trk5eiulfivuhac1

but the MC3+USB does not seem to be available yet. I also wonder what the price will be since the MC3+ alone is running $795.00. This might be just what I ultimately need, but dependent on price/performance.

JC

I found this information at the Mutec webpage:

http://www.mutec-net.com/downloads/MC3plusUSB_InfoSheet_2014_E.pdf?PHPSESSID=bb6ijqqdl5trk5eiulfivuhac1

but the MC3+USB does not seem to be available yet. I also wonder what the price will be since the MC3+ alone is running $795.00. This might be just what I ultimately need, but dependent on price/performance.

JC

Hi JC,

For us at MUTEC it's paramount that a product provides the best possible audio quality our developers can deliver and we've been adding significant improvements to the design of the MC-3+USB based on the feedback from our beta testers and the availability of new components. So please excuse the delay and trust me when I say it'll be worth the wait! We expect the launch of the MC-3+USB at the start of October and can't wait to send the first units out to you all. US pricing is not 100% firm as of yet, but should land somewhere in the $1,200 range depending on how the exchange rate develops. Please don't hesitate letting me know if you have any further questions.

Thx,

Julian

MUTEC Marketing

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi JC,

For us at MUTEC it's paramount that a product provides the best possible audio quality our developers can deliver and we've been adding significant improvements to the design of the MC-3+USB based on the feedback from our beta testers and the availability of new components. So please excuse the delay and trust me when I say it'll be worth the wait! We expect the launch of the MC-3+USB at the start of October and can't wait to send the first units out to you all. US pricing is not 100% firm as of yet, but should land somewhere in the $1,200 range depending on how the exchange rate develops. Please don't hesitate letting me know if you have any further questions.

Thx,

Julian

MUTEC Marketing

This may be what I need too for a situation with my system needing a SPdif to USB converter. Its lower priced than the highest ranked Off Ramp and Berkeley versions, but still not inexpensive. Mutec has a great reputation in pro circles. If it is as good as it appears it might be, I would spend the money. Will there be any 30 day trial offered to make sure it works in someones system?

Not officially from MUTEC, but of course you have the right to return a unit if it doesn't work for you in most countries. Also, some dealers will have demo units available. Where are you based?

Julian, I'm not sure where KingCrimson is based, but I'm in Michigan, and plan on purchasing the MC3+USB as soon as it's available here in the States. I'm quite confident that this product will provide the performance I am looking for in a USB-SPDIF converter and, for that, I'm certainly willing to pay the expected price. I've even contacted Mutec and communicated with Christian about it, and it's expected availability.

It would be great, though, to know that if it somehow did not work out, in terms of performance improvement for my system, or, for some reason did not have the needed synergy, that I could return it. Or that I could alternatively try a demo unit first.

JC

• 1 month later...

It's been a few years since the original thread. I've narrowed my choice for a USB conversion device to the Berkeley Alpha USB or the Soulution 590 based on some feedback from others.

Does anyone have any preferences between these two based on comparisons that you've actually heard in someone's system?

Thanks

Marty

I own the Berkeley Alpha USB and auditioned the Soulution 590 in my home.

I sent the Soulution back and kept the Berkeley Alpha.

I've heard great things about the Yellow PUC2. It wold be quite a surprise at its price-point if it could compete with or beat the Berekeley, but then this hobby continues to surprise me.

Anyone compare those two units?

Joel

I am interested in it also, but someone who has it said on this forum that it is buggy

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I am interested in it also, but someone who has it said on this forum that it is buggy

I haven't tried it, but my favorite audio dealer, whose name I'm not going to disclose because he doesn't sell anything this "cheap", uses a Yellowtec PUC2 at home (the model that includes an ADC, otherwise identical), and says there's nothing better at any price. As far as recommendations go, there's none more telling or trustworthy that I could think of. The reasons I'm not using one is that it doesn't have word-clock I/Os, nor Dual AES.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

That is good to know. Have not seen other complaints. I have an excellent Dac and the overall sound is great. I am not sure if it would make a difference. I will try to get a 30 day trial period.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I have the Mutec MC-1.2 USB and the MC3+ Smart Clock... The USB alone was better than any other SPDIF I was able to look at, which didn't hit the level of Berkley Alpha USB...but most of the ones below. Add the MC3+ and there was no contest the combo was hands down better.

I'm going to put a Rubidium Master Clock to the Smart clock which I hear improves it even more (think Antelope and beyond in terms of what you'll get from that Rubidium clock). So I can't wait to get that finished.

But I would definitely put Mutec towards the top when considering USB to SPDIF.

I recently sold a Puc2 Lite and can confirm that it is excellent. I compared it side by side for a week with an Audiophilleo2+PurePower and came away with the Puc2 powered by an iUSB Power as the winner. I never did know for sure if this was because my dac preferred AES to the coax input though, but it my system anyway, the Puc2 won. It has some limitations you have to be willing to accept though.

1.) Doesn't work with Linux or Linux based dedicated servers (this is why I sold it.)

2.) AES only output

3.) Has to draw 1A of current and so requries a USB cable with a second power leg or a dedicated power supply (I used with the iUSB Power.) I never tried a fancier power supply, but it was surprisingly good even on standard computer power from a cheap mobo, much less affected than some other devices.

I bought mine from Dale Pro Audio. The transaction was perfect.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

3.) Has to draw 1A of current and so requries a USB cable with a second power leg or a dedicated power supply (I used with the iUSB Power.) I never tried a fancier power supply, but it was surprisingly good even on standard computer power from a cheap mobo, much less affected than some other devices.

When you used the PUC2 Lite with the iUSB Power, did you use just one output on the iUSB?

If so, the right-side one?

Or did you use both outputs on the iUSB?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When you used the PUC2 Lite with the iUSB Power, did you use just one output on the iUSB?

If so, the right-side one?

Or did you use both outputs on the iUSB?

I used it with the dual headed iFi Gemini cable (which is a solid cable, imho.) I tried both, using the data only leg through the iUSB and also directly. I (much to my surprise) liked it better running the signal through the iUSB Power. Mind you that I was running from a PC which is not particularly hardware optimized for audio (no sotm usb card etc.) It wasn't a huge difference either way though. I would be VERY curious to see if running it through a REGEN would improve it. But then I am trying to reduce my number of components in the chain, not increase.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Has anyone compared Yellowtec PUC2 Lite vs. AR-T Legato? I have the latter and would therefore be quite curious about the results.

Beneath the just released Mutec MC-3+ USB there is another interesting unit from Germany, the Acousence afis: afis - Abhörmatrix

First reports in a german forum are quite promising and it seems there is going to be another unit at a reduced price with only one input and one output for those who don't need the switching function of the afis.