IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

AC power is used for all parts inside U10 except the USB receiver. :)

That's typical for most DACs and converters with USB input.

Someone who is more familiar with technical design of such devices could explain it more.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I've just spent some time listening to the Gustard U10, and comparing it with my AP2 and uLink. The AP2 and uLink are both much better than the U10, which sounded congested and noisy compared to the others. As always, you get what you pay for.

I've just spent some time listening to the Gustard U10, and comparing it with my AP2 and uLink. The AP2 and uLink are both much better than the U10, which sounded congested and noisy compared to the others. As always, you get what you pay for.

I respect your comments but I must say that on my system using HD800's I don't here the noise or congestion you speak of with the U10. I borrowed an AP2 (no pp) to compare and found a slight difference but nothing beyond what one might call personal preference for one over the other. On my system with the Auralic Taurus the U10 has a silent black background and great instrument separation (I listen mostly to classical). At the very least, it is a great value and it completely dumps the Hiface 2 I had before.

I received my U10 and I wanted to open it up to make sure the switch was set to 120v (it was) and thought the build quality was low for the case and finish. The quality of some of components on the PCB was also disappointing. I compared it to a CCHD-957 clocked SOtM DX-USB-HD on the Life battery and preferred SOtM. Yes you do get what you pay for, the U10 gives a lot of performance for the money though.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 3 months later...
I thought I would add some technical facts here which might elucidate why I am in favor of internal USB-I2S solutions in theory.

SPDIF receivers add jitter, this is a fact, how much one might add? Well the popular Crystek 8416 is specified to add ~200 pS.

Facts are slippery things...

The 200ps jitter figure is only true if the recovered Master Clock (MCK) is used.

In the CS841[2,4,6], FSYNC is always generated from the incoming data stream. When FSYNC is generated from the data, its edges are extracted at times when intersymbol interference is at a minimum. This provides a sample frequency clock that is as spectrally pure as the digital audio source clock for moderate length transmission lines.

So a DAC using the FSYNC clock from the 8412/4/6 will have an incoming jitter figure limited by the quality of the transport/cable/spdif implementation. This "trick" was used in the real world - for example Pass Labs D1 DAC utilised the CS8412 FSYNC clock, not the MCK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The Dxio pro3 from dyhnhk to my ears is a very very excellent converter.

I agree. Very good.

By the way, DIYINHK released a new DXIO PRO3A, roughly 50% "more" expensive (still "cheap") than the PRO3 if I remember well the price I paid for the PRO3...

Has someone heard this PRO3A & can tell if really better than the PRO3 ?

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

hi,

around 300$ you have new interfaces like Audio-GD DI and the Aune Titan Athena.

Anyone tested them vs more expensive ones like sotm+reclock or AP2 ?

I must admit it is not easy to have an idea how large is the gap between 150$ > 300$ > 1000$ interfaces.

Can someone give like a quality range related to these 3 interfaces prices ?

Within a given price (150/300/1000), differences between interfaces can be huge or remain minor ?

My short experience is that when i paid Teradak LPSUs to add to my system the improvement was huge, clear.

I afraid i won't get the same level of improvement by paying the same price in an interface (to replace my 110$ DXIO PRO3 )... Am I right or wrong ?

Rdgs

Hello

can you please give more details on the comparison between U10 and sotm ?

other question, does anyone compared the U12 to others ?

thank you

rgds

There is a thread here on CA about U12 http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?t=22459 ... also on headfi there's a guy who apparently tried lots of converters and his ranking is U12 > musiland usd 3 > AP1/2. Both U12 & Musiland are under $200.

There is also this lil known pro device (~$500) which might be better than anything tested in this thread

http://funwithaudio.blogspot.de/2013/01/usb-spdif-wars-audiophileo-vs-yellowtec.html

You're right Prot. The Yellowtec PUC2 Lite should place far ahead on the list.

It is a best seller here in Europe.

The only limitation : does not work with linux computers or drivers like sotm SMS100. The driver (Mac&PC) is key to get the best out of this box.

The only limitation : does not work with linux computers or drivers like sotm SMS100. The driver (Mac&PC) is key to get the best out of this box.

That and the fact it is AES only. I compared it to a Audiophilleo2+PP and preferred the Puc2 Lite. The Puc2 does improve with a power conditioner like the iFi iUSB Power, so factor that cost in when making the decision. Also, it requires more than 500 mA of current in some situations so if plugging directly into usb ports of a computer it comes with a dual headed usb cable (second head for power only.) When you add in the cost of extra cable and a power supply option you could instead consider something like the Bryston BUC-1, which would be a neater solution of very good quality (I haven't heard it, but would bet that it would be good too.)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I tried it with an Alix+Voyage MPD. Sound quality was great (with external JS2 power supply - did not even try it without), but when changing songs or stopping playback it generated a low frequency noise. Returned it. The manufacturer states that it should work under Linux as long as the system is USB 2.0 compliant, but there are some glitches....

just a suggestion to someone that has spare time : a new interface shot out with all these new interfaces within the 150-500usd price range, and for instance with the AP2 has well known reference.

just an idea ;-)

reading reviews where "my new interface is better than the previous one" is kind but i got difficulties to build a quality ranking based on all these nice reviews... :-(

am i alone to be deeply confused with this kind of products ?

rgds

• 2 months later...
just a suggestion to someone that has spare time : a new interface shot out with all these new interfaces within the 150-500usd price range, and for instance with the AP2 has well known reference.

just an idea ;-)

Great idea! Just to throw another contender in here since I don't think it's been mentioned before: the new MUTEC MC-1.2

It's a really flexible, bidirectional USB and Digital Audio Interface. So it not only does USB to S/PDIF, but it also converts to AES3, AES3id, both ways: "Based on MUTEC's latest USB streaming technologies, low jitter audio clocks and ultra-low noise circuit designs, the MC-1.2 regenerates and in most cases audibly improves USB audio streams."

Street price is around $449.00 USD so right in the range you were mentioning!

MC-1.2_alu_Persp_FB_RGB.jpg

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

• 1 month later...
Great idea! Just to throw another contender in here since I don't think it's been mentioned before: the new MUTEC MC-1.2

It's a really flexible, bidirectional USB and Digital Audio Interface. So it not only does USB to S/PDIF, but it also converts to AES3, AES3id, both ways: "Based on MUTEC's latest USB streaming technologies, low jitter audio clocks and ultra-low noise circuit designs, the MC-1.2 regenerates and in most cases audibly improves USB audio streams."

Street price is around $449.00 USD so right in the range you were mentioning!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17737[/ATTACH]

The MC-1.2 has transformed my un-listenable USB experience with any DAC into something actually enjoyable. Arriving last week, this converter is worth having a second look if your USB experience is somewhat so-so. I mainly bought it for connecting to main DAC, just to tame USB input, and it has indeed removed the grunge and shite from USB to a very significant level.

The MC-1.2 can operate directly from the +5V rail on the USB input, requiring no AC power, for initial testing however, I have always used the AC input which ranges from 90V-260V. For those with an external clock, a Word clock input is provided. I don't have such a beast, and have used the AES3 output with a very short Starlight 7 Digital Audio cable, a Switchcraft 110 Ohm to 75 Ohm balun. The output of the balun is connected directly with a BNC to RCA adapter into the DAC.

SQ wise it restores the micro detail of low level signals to a degree, but not *totally* when compared to reference SACD/CD player. Soundstage height and width are a little less, but I'm nit picking, the inclusion of the Uptone Audio Regen would improve things further, but for now, I'm pleased to be listening to computer audio again.

Highly recommended, I'd place it above the Audiophilleo, whether it wins over the BADA I don't know, haven't heard the BADA.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

That and the fact it is AES only. I compared it to a Audiophilleo2+PP and preferred the Puc2 Lite. The Puc2 does improve with a power conditioner like the iFi iUSB Power, so factor that cost in when making the decision. Also, it requires more than 500 mA of current in some situations so if plugging directly into usb ports of a computer it comes with a dual headed usb cable (second head for power only.) When you add in the cost of extra cable and a power supply option you could instead consider something like the Bryston BUC-1, which would be a neater solution of very good quality (I haven't heard it, but would bet that it would be good too.)

Agree. I prefer also the PUC 2 (I had before AP1+PP). I use the PUC 2 with a battery like this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet®-External-Lightning-Sensation-Blackberry-black/dp/B000UH46YY

I made a little adapter (3 resistors) to use it with the spdif input of my DAC.

For those with an external clock, a Word clock input is provided. I don't have such a beast, and have used the AES3 output with a very short Starlight 7 Digital Audio cable, a Switchcraft 110 Ohm to 75 Ohm balun. The output of the balun is connected directly with a BNC to RCA adapter into the DAC.

Hi One and a half,

One quick clarification regarding your statement above: The MC-1.2 does not provide a word clock input for an external clock. What you are looking at is a BNC input for S/P-DIF and AES3id signals to be converted back to the computer via USB as labeled on the back of the unit. This works simultaneous to the USB to AES or S/P-DIF conversion. A common application would be a digital effects loop in studio production environments.

If an external clock sync is desired, you might be interested in a new product that MUTEC will be launching soon, called the MC-3+ USB clock, which will have the USB re-clocking functionality of the MC-1.2 plus the external clock input capability. This unit is expected for release in June.

Cheers,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi One and a half,

One quick clarification regarding your statement above: The MC-1.2 does not provide a word clock input for an external clock. What you are looking at is a BNC input for S/P-DIF and AES3id signals to be converted back to the computer via USB as labeled on the back of the unit. This works simultaneous to the USB to AES or S/P-DIF conversion. A common application would be a digital effects loop in studio production environments.

If an external clock sync is desired, you might be interested in a new product that MUTEC will be launching soon, called the MC-3+ USB clock, which will have the USB re-clocking functionality of the MC-1.2 plus the external clock input capability. This unit is expected for release in June.

Cheers,

Julian

Hi Julian,

I refreshed the manual reading just now, it mentions the Word Clock albeit in an external frame of reference rather than a direct input. Yes, there's usually a loop through for the word clock, the MC-1.2 doesn't provide this, OK, stand corrected. The MC-1.2 works well on its own.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi Julian,

the MC3+ USB will come at a premium price - for a converter. Once you add a rather cheapish external 10M clock source, e. g. a used Morion MV89a, it is going to be a game changer. Since users on CA seem to be more interested in converters than they are in studio clocks, Mutec certainly have taken the right marketing decision targeting the audiophile market with a combination of their MC3+ (studio clock, reclocker) and the new MC1.2 (converter) in just one box.

I got it.

I use it with my PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

It is probably too new to be included in this thread.

How is the Hydra-Z?

Currently I am a bit on the fence about it. Right now I use a Laptop-->Schiit Wyrd-->M2tech hiface-->Wadia 12. Really unsure if I should replace the Wadia 12+ Hiface for a DAC with USB or if I should invest in a better usb/spdig converter. I only play ripped CDs 16/44.1 for moment.

[br]