IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

IME The AP2 with PP sounds better with a SPDIF cable than direct connected. Direct connected has a harder more pronounced lower treble. And no expensive SPDIF either. I tried AQ, Furutech then a couple of low end cables and the best overall was a Blue Jeans BNC-BNC. I bought 5 different lengths starting with 2.5m going down to 40cm to see if length made a difference. The 48hr edgy burn-in repeated with each new length I tried but after it settled each time, I could compare and length doesn't seem to effect the sound with this device(!). After working down to the smallest, I tried direct connect again - harder lower treble.

I also found that the USB cable connected direct from source to AP2 (bypassing the PP) sounded slightly better (more relaxed). I have a separate 5V line to the PP which I turn on overnight to charge it. Ive also put the AP on some small Herbies feet with a small bag of sand on top to reduce vibration. I haven't done any A/B comparisons with vibration control or not, but reducing vibration on any device containing oscillator crystals can only help.

Just thought I would share my findings.

Ted: I would highly recommend trying the Hydra if you can. I have some experience with similar tech from those guys, and they really know what they are doing when it comes to getting the best out of USB. The Hydra is fully isolated as well.

As for SPDIF cables, for relatively affordable ones, I would consider the Nordost SPDIF cable in their "Norse" line. SPDIF is all about proper impedance, and a high bandwidth cable, and Nordost pays very special attention to having the highest "speed" possible, which will enhance bandwidth.

Does Chris Sommivigo (I am sure I spelled that wrong, sorry Chris) have any new higher end cable designs now than the Black Cat stuff? I am kind of confused by what has happened with his brands, and he certainly knows what he is doing when it comes to SPDIF.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Ted: I would highly recommend trying the Hydra if you can. I have some experience with similar tech from those guys, and they really know what they are doing when it comes to getting the best out of USB.

Hi Barrows: Are you referring to the Hydra-X from Audiobyte in Romania? That does look pretty good. Actually, Nicolae Jitariu's other company, Rockna, has a DAC that I'd like to hear someday. It's called the Wavequest, and it uses MSB Platinum R2R modules fronted by a good sized FPGA.

Hi Barrows: Are you referring to the Hydra-X from Audiobyte in Romania? That does look pretty good. Actually, Nicolae Jitariu's other company, Rockna, has a DAC that I'd like to hear someday. It's called the Wavequest, and it uses MSB Platinum R2R modules fronted by a good sized FPGA.

Yup.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Ted: I would highly recommend trying the Hydra if you can. I have some experience with similar tech from those guys, and they really know what they are doing when it comes to getting the best out of USB. The Hydra is fully isolated as well.

I would really love for someone to get there hands on a Hydra-X and do what they could to track down or borrow a PWD Mkii to demo it's I2s input with. All the reviews I've found on the Hydra-X talk about it's SPDIF output or seem like quasi-ads, so I can't really trust how it'd fare.

As far as SPDIF convertors go, I've had great experience with JKenny's MK3 HiFace, and his new Cunaes convertors, which have departed from the HiFace brains, have been said to sound even better. And it's not too pricey @ ~$430 shipped either.

IME The AP2 with PP sounds better with a SPDIF cable than direct connected. Direct connected has a harder more pronounced lower treble. And no expensive SPDIF either. I tried AQ, Furutech then a couple of low end cables and the best overall was a Blue Jeans BNC-BNC. I bought 5 different lengths starting with 2.5m going down to 40cm to see if length made a difference. The 48hr edgy burn-in repeated with each new length I tried but after it settled each time, I could compare and length doesn't seem to effect the sound with this device(!). After working down to the smallest, I tried direct connect again - harder lower treble.

I wonder if AP1's virtual cable feature would make a difference, bringing SQ of a direct connected AP1 to the same levels as you noticed with the Blue Jeans...

• 2 weeks later...

I am Sorry, but I had to register just to tell you how dumb this discussion is.

Has anyone of you any idea what a USB SPDIF Converter does? It is recieving NUMBERS that represent music via USB and delivers these exact NUMBERS via SPDIF. Since both protocols are protected by checksums, there is absolutely no way, any Data can possibly be sent wrong!

These adapters don't do anything than digital calculations without any loss of quality.

If you still believe there is a difference between these devices in terms of sound quality, you should probably either visit your doctor or change your hobby. Maybe believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster could be something you like.

When it comes to DACs or Amps, i can not totally deny every influence on the sound quality, but these completely digital devices are just neutral in terms of signal conversion.

Has anyone of you any idea what a USB SPDIF Converter does? It is recieving NUMBERS that represent music via USB and delivers these exact NUMBERS via SPDIF. Since both protocols are protected by checksums, there is absolutely no way, any Data can possibly be sent wrong!

These adapters don't do anything than digital calculations without any loss of quality.

If you still believe there is a difference between these devices in terms of sound quality, you should probably either visit your doctor or change your hobby. Maybe believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster could be something you like.

When it comes to DACs or Amps, i can not totally deny every influence on the sound quality, but these completely digital devices are just neutral in terms of signal conversion.

Thank you for clearing that up, Mr. bullshit.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

I would really love for someone to get there hands on a Hydra-X and do what they could to track down or borrow a PWD Mkii to demo it's I2s input with. All the reviews I've found on the Hydra-X talk about it's SPDIF output or seem like quasi-ads, so I can't really trust how it'd fare.

As far as SPDIF convertors go, I've had great experience with JKenny's MK3 HiFace, and his new Cunaes convertors, which have departed from the HiFace brains, have been said to sound even better. And it's not too pricey @ ~$430 shipped either.

Don't buy Hydra because the new Hydra Plus is available now!

002402qo0jotox87tm1juu.jpg

Odyssey Audio HK - Audiobyte Hydra-X

Dear Mr. Bullshit,

Or... maybe you should probably either visit your doctor or change your hobby...!

Regarding me... I permanently live in an insane asylum, but without any change of hobby.

Happy listening & Valentine's Day,

Roch

Yes, bits are bits, but bits can arrive a bit sooner or a bit later to the DAC, and that can make a difference to the sound generated by the DAC if it does not reclock the signal fully.

In addition, coaxial or USB cables can propagate electrical noise. This can also make a difference to the sound generated by the DAC if it is not fully isolated from this kind of noise.

So my hunch is that it is quite plausible that USB-SPDIF converters have a sonic impact even if they work fully in the digital domain.

As a CA veteran I would like to welcome all newcomers, and all newcomers' points of view. However, we all know there are trolls, so this stance can often be tested. Mr BS's initial post reminds me of the latter; why? Because a first post into a forum, like any first impression, carries on for some time. Good bad or indifferent, it tells us a lot about the poster, and the poster's intent to become a regular new fresh viewpoint. So... to come on here and simply be rude, narcissistic, over-generalized and reduce an eleven month discussion and dozens of peoples' ideas and feedback to something akin to sickness (need to go to doctor) or just plain silliness...is a sign of an uneducated and socially inept poster....or someone who doesn't want to really get involved in a discussion.....i.e a troll. Please don't feed trolls; it will horribly derail an up-till-now productive discussion.

Thanks for enlightening us all, Mr. Bullshit!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Don't buy Hydra because the new Hydra Plus is available now!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10780[/ATTACH]

Odyssey Audio HK - Audiobyte Hydra-X

Thanks Keung. I actually emailed Audiobyte about the new Hydra-X+ when I happened to come across a comment about it on another forum. They said that there's no difference to the brains of the unit, so sound will be the same, but what was updated was the battery charging circuit. It's now better at avoiding full discharge and harming the battery/unit. Of course that's something I care about, so when I do opt for the Hydra in the fall, I'll be sure to get the Hydra-X+.

Your idea on how USB and SPDIF interfaces work is very wrong. I recommend you research this very subject first.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

As said your understanding of computer audio is sorely lacking. A lot of research and experience is required before you will understand what these devices do and why people use them. Nothing personal.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about getting a new USB to SPDIF Converter.

I recently sold my iFi iLink but still have the iFi iUSB so using a USB powered converter is no problem as the power supply noise would be very low.

I'd like something with RCA or BNC but must have AES/EBU on it as well.

Currently using RCA on my Schiit Gungnir, but plan to use AES/EBU when the Schiit Yggdrasil releases.

Was planning on getting the V-Link 192 but that seems to be discontinued now..

Any recommendations?

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

I own the offramp 5 and it's double clock with the new PSU as well.

I also own the new AP1/PP. they both work very well and improve greatly Anything I use with them. Now keep in mind the AP1/PP does do 24/384 and dsd. Where the others do not. The ap is cheaper but the offramp has two additional I2S outputs as well. They both work very well. And unless you spend a lot of money on a dac you really do need one.

An example is the ps audio Pwd mkii. With my offramp or AP1/PP it performs far better than using the bridge or transport. I own them too. Jitter effects everything Audio.

Another example is my SENN HDVD800 Without the ap1/pp the dac is horrible with certain details of music. With it there is no need to use a outside dac with it.

Al