IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

I'm still subbed to this thread, Ted. I'll take any update i can get my hands on!

And if you could get your hands on a Hydra-X I sure would be happy to hear about it. And if there was any chance you could listen via the HDMI-I2s output that really would be something I'd love to hear about ;-)

I reviewed the Chord QuteHD (24/192, DSD64) earlier this month (CA homepage) and in the review discovered what others already knew..that even a decent little USB/SPDIF converter improved the sound of this wonderful high-value DAC, and the Berkeley improved it even more :) . It helps that this DAC is one of a growing list (but still few) who accept DoP over SPDIF, Well, I have purchased it's updated brother (the Chord Qute-EX) which does 24/384k and DSD128. And this DAC accepts 384k via SPDIF, too…..

(Note: I am doing this to not only report back on a/b against the QuteHD but also because I happen to have quite a bit of DXD and DSD128 that I like very much, and to hear it via the Chord's best signal path would be a real treat).

Ted:

Perhaps there is hope that in the refinement of the Qute from "HD" to "EX" version they also improved the USB input. There really is no reason that a talented company such as Chord should not include a USB input every bit as good as their S/PDIF. While Audiophileo does a nice job with their converter, adding more steps of mixing and reclocking to the chain is not ideal. Sorry, I am just biased against S/PDIF for computer audio and I think the best place for a USB input is inside the DAC--straight USB>I2S and onward…

I'll be interested to know what you hear with the newer Qute.

Best,

Alex C.

Alex, Yeah I thought the same thing, but fellow CA owners mimicked what the UK review measurements pointed out, that there was more jitter in the USB input. So I tested it purely with my ears (and others' who visited). It was a better presentation. Maybe the new EX board and drivers will change that...

Ted (or anyone with knowledge): I concluded that you used the BADA USB converter when demoing the Chord dac--does the BADA pass DSD64 signals? If so, is it limited and will not pass DSD128?

Thanks,

Randy

Any USB-SPDIF converter should pass DSD64, as it just looks like 24/176.4 PCM to the converter (I assume you are talking about DoP here).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Any USB-SPDIF converter should pass DSD64, as it just looks like 24/176.4 PCM to the converter (I assume you are talking about DoP here).

A lot of them don't. Depends upon the firmware loaded into the USB processor chip. XMOS is just about to finally release official new source code and firmware supporting DoP. To-date, designers of XMOS-based USB>I2S converters that supported DoP were either writing code to implement it themselves or licensing from a fell named Stef on the XCORE.com community.

A lot of them don't. Depends upon the firmware loaded into the USB processor chip. XMOS is just about to finally release official new source code and firmware supporting DoP. To-date, designers of XMOS-based USB>I2S converters that supported DoP were either writing code to implement it themselves or licensing from a fell named Stef on the XCORE.com community.

Alex, not sure what you are trying to say here. The XMOS USB receiver has to decode DoP to DSD for output to a DAC via I2S. A USB-SPDIF converter, OTOH, just has to pass along the DoP signal as 24/176.4 PCM to the DAC, where the 24/176.4 is decoded into DSD. The question was regarding USB-SPDIF converters. To the USB receiver, a DoP stream just looks like 24/176.4 PCM, it should just pass through, and does so with everything I have tried here? I am talking about units which output SPDIF. XMOS should not notice any difference between 24/176.4 and a DoP stream, which is just 24/176.4.

Now for XMOS to decode an incoming DoP stream to DSD for output directly (I2S) to a DAC chip, that is different, but that is not necessary for SPDIF output, right?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Now for XMOS to decode an incoming DoP stream to DSD for output directly (I2S) to a DAC chip, that is different, but that is not necessary for SPDIF output, right?

I don't know. I'll ask John when we speak tonight. (BTW, you know that other board, the special one you tried that has had the weird noise problem? I heard it at my place the very beginning of the month. Wow! With a good PS and good input set, that thing is going to smoke!)

Ted (or anyone with knowledge): I concluded that you used the BADA USB converter when demoing the Chord dac--does the BADA pass DSD64 signals? If so, is it limited and will not pass DSD128?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy, the BADA passed DoP for DSD just fine (as has been explained a few times, it just thinks its 24/176k). DSD128, however, requires 24/352k for DoP so the BADA doesn't play there. It's one of the reasons for my 384k USB/SPDIF converter inquiry a few posts above.

Thanks Ted; I finally wised up enough to read your Chord review in total and realized my questions were answered already!

For a variety of reasons I don't want a 2 DAC setup and maybe just sticking with the Meitner is the answer--as we know, it ain't half bad :)!

I do know that in my opinion using a USB converter to feed the spdif input of the AMR dp-777 I previously owned resulted in better sound than using that dac's much vaunted usb input, so I've always been curious if the BADA could benefit the Meitner as well.

Best,

Randy

Thanks Ted; I finally wised up enough to read your Chord review in total and realized my questions were answered already!

For a variety of reasons I don't want a 2 DAC setup and maybe just sticking with the Meitner is the answer--as we know, it ain't half bad :)!

I do know that in my opinion using a USB converter to feed the spdif input of the AMR dp-777 I previously owned resulted in better sound than using that dac's much vaunted usb input, so I've always been curious if the BADA could benefit the Meitner as well.

Best,

Randy

You know Randy it’s funny as I reached the exact opposite opinion with the Berkley USB Alpha feeding an AMR 777 DAC. As much as I like the Berkley USB converter I thought the AMR 777 DAC lost punch or dynamics and I preferred the AMR 777 DAC USB input better.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

PS

The Berkley Alpha USB converter is the best I have heard. I think it has to do with the tube input on the AMR. My feeling is most people who think the AMR 777 DAC is too polite are not using the USB input on the AMR.

I really like the sound of AMR 777 DAC using the USB built-in to the DAC so I sold my Berkley.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Coxhaus,

Sounds consistent, as I preferred the spdif input on the AMR because it sounded a bit more organic with a blacker background and a juicier sound than straight in to the usb input--but it also shows how individual's preferences differ and that there really is no 'absolute best' or 'one size fits all' in the hobby!

Randy

Coxhaus,

Sounds consistent, as I preferred the spdif input on the AMR because it sounded a bit more organic with a blacker background and a juicier sound than straight in to the usb input--but it also shows how individual's preferences differ and that there really is no 'absolute best' or 'one size fits all' in the hobby!

Randy

So true.

I could see the organic sound the tube input adds, but for me in my system it just did not hold up against using the built-in DAC. If I had to use an input other than the USB I would probably sell the DAC.

would anyone be so kind and give me an idea how the hiFace 2 stacks up against the BADA USB and EVO?

thanks a lot in advance

I did a short evaluation of Hiface2 vs. EVO, EVO Clock + Linear PS …

Hiface2 has a comparable sound quality against basic EVO setup ( little darker sound for HF2 ), but if you upgrade EVO with it's clock and a good power supply, HF2 definitely lose the battle …

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

Hi all,

So has anyone heard the Bryston BUC- 1 yet?

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

So unless I decide to go direct connect (male to male bnc or rca, as per Audiophileo recommendations, for example) I am going to continue to test SPDIF converters into my new Chord via my best coax digital cable i have laying around here, which is currently my original Stereovox HDXV (Chris S's first design). Does anyone have a recommendation for me to try a newer better design? I have no real interest above $1k though. :)

So unless I decide to go direct connect (male to male bnc or rca, as per Audiophileo recommendations, for example) I am going to continue to test SPDIF converters into my new Chord via my best coax digital cable i have laying around here, which is currently my original Stereovox HDXV (Chris S's first design). Does anyone have a recommendation for me to try a newer better design? I have no real interest above $1k though. :)

How about the Bel Canto uLink? Chris reviewed it in April 2013:

Computer Audiophile - Bel Canto Design uLink USB to S/PDIF Converter Review

I really enjoyed the uLink when I had it in my system. It is further improved by combining it with the iFi iUSB.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Blake, Why the uLink? it is neither 384k capable nor a coax cable? I am confused I guess. As I posted a couple posts ago I am looking for a 384k capable USB/SPDIF converter so I can test the new EX sample rates via SPDIF (Ive found 2) and I am looking for a reasonable digital coax cable to possibly be an upgrade to my trusty ole' HDXV.

I really like the Purist Audio Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC - $700 list - I have (in BNC; also available in RCA & XLR). I tried several other cables from The Cable Company before I chose this, but nothing that was more expensive.

I found it to be tonally accurate, revealing, and balanced in frequency response. Fwiw, I'm not a fan of silver cables.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

Direct connect seems like one of the best things about the Audiophileo converters. Why would you use a cable you don't need?

Right....But some SPDIF converters don't line up or have that kind of direct connect access to their back panel Dan. As I said, if Audiophileo yes of course.

Alex, Yeah I thought the same thing, but fellow CA owners mimicked what the UK review measurements pointed out, that there was more jitter in the USB input. So I tested it purely with my ears (and others' who visited). It was a better presentation. Maybe the new EX board and drivers will change that...

Oh, and another byproduct of a good USB/SPDIF converter is the driver. Why? Well, I am going to be one of Auralic's first listeners to demo/review the exciting Lightning streamer called Aries. It is designed to stream up to 384k and DSD128, even wirelessly (80211ac), to a USB DAC. Well, it would love to see a USB Class 2 compliant Linux driver, which is what some of these nice converters bring to the Chord setup (Chord drivers are not Linux USB 2.0; i.e driverless). Hydra-X is one I have my eyes on.