IGNORED

NAS with iTunes "server" important?

I am looking at getting a NAS or external HD. I am looking at the WD Studio II with 2TB, connecting it via USB to my Airport Extreme.

I have read some NAS-es have an iTunes "server" installed.

Is this a feature I will need or with the WD drive do the trick.

I will want to consolidate 2 iTunes libraries onto the HD and access it from 2 different computers wirelessly, as well as use my Apple TV as a bridge to my HiFi kit.

Thanks,

Jeff

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Hi Jeff - I'm not a fan of the NAS built-in iTunes servers. They don't work how most people think they will work. They show up as a shared library like other computers on the same network show up in iTunes. Not that functional in my opinion. I also don't think your Apple TV would be able to connect to the iTunes server in a NAS.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I can only speak for the LaCie/Hipserv iTunes Server NAS drive but it will NOT allow you to use that library with an AppleTV. ATV requires you to enter a passcode in iTunes. The iTunes Server only shows up as a shared library as Chris mentioned.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W