IGNORED

DAC with remote output level control ?

I have ordered new active speakers and am seeking advice on a good quality

dac with remote control. Preferably analogue motorized volume control.

I only need one digital input and one balanced analogue output.

(Presently I am using M-Audio, Benchmark DAC1/usb and Lite-AH NOS converters and they are all fine)

cheers

Tom

BM DAC1/HDR --> ATC SCM 100ASL[br]BM DAC1--> Genelec 8020/Beyer T70[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Stax 007T/404[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Genelec 6010A/Beyer DT1350[br]

Tom,

My new Proton has an analog volume control that becomes your system wide volume control when you plug it into your computer. If you have a mac any of the IR remotes from Apple will send commands to the Proton to adjust the levels. Or if you have an iPhone/iTouch you can use Rowmote.com which emulates the Apple ir remote.

If you have a PC then any of the available remotes will control the analog volume control in the Proton.

Thanks

Gordon

The Overdrive DAC has a manual volume control that can be optimized for remote-control digital volume control:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/images/products/overdrive/overdrive_substation.jpg

In order to minimize the resolution loss usually experienced with digital volume controls, the Overdrive DAC volume can be set at a comfortable listening level with a "quiet" track. Then all other tracks will be louder. If a track is too loud, then one can adjust the volume down slightly with the digital volume control of the computer or player without impacting the resolution. This can be done remotely using iPhone or iPod Touch if using a Mac. The manual volume of the Overdrive has virtually no impact on the sound quality. It's identical to driving the amps from the line-outs.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Thanks Gordon

I took a look at your website. Very clever dac.

USB input only - looks like it from the picture ?

Regards

Tom

BM DAC1/HDR --> ATC SCM 100ASL[br]BM DAC1--> Genelec 8020/Beyer T70[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Stax 007T/404[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Genelec 6010A/Beyer DT1350[br]

Thanks for enlighten me about products that I never knew existed. (Here in Scandinavia).

cheers

Tom

Very interesting. Just the features and price level I am looking for. No chance of a demo here though, so I will

probably have to import one. It´s going to drive a pair of ATC SCM100s.

cheers

Tom