IGNORED

Audirvana+ or Amarra - Down & Dirty

boulderskies

...Hypnotic. Imagine some person, setting, food, drink, (substance), activity that is simpatico with all your senses that you feel just right with....

sorry, just can't resist. i'll spare you some of the details, but back in october my puppies chewed the speaker cables to my main system which happened to be nearly 25 years old. back then, i'd purchase one component at a time after saving my summer earnings and ended up with meitner amps, sota table, and energy reference connoisseurs, which were quite a bit different than today's energy. anyway, because i always left the amps on, chewing the cables fried three of the four speaker drivers and made the amps a little dicey.

so i purchased some used shindo amps and just took delivery of a pair of new devore speakers. by 4am on sunday morning, i'd rewired and installed everything. and the first song i put on was waltz for debbie (take 2, of course). i, too, love live at the village vanguard: the ambient sounds, the chatting, the clinking of spoons on saucers. it makes me think we could all--like those seemingly oblivious folks in the audience--stumble upon history. i've never been much of a piano fan in general, but evans alone converted me.

We're all speaking poetry to one another. What we hear in our minds eye listening to the same music through our own lens connects us.

These are talking posts with accompanying anecdotes that could easily be scenes in our life with a score performed by Evans. A painting. A photograph that captures moments in time. A smell that takes you back to your mother's kitchen when you were a child. Waltz For Debby...for me with Audirvana Plus it's an excellent performance. With Amarra, I am quietly telling the waiter to keep it down, bring me three martinis and the check and don't come around until the set ends.

Enjoying that we enjoy the music and connect to our lives through the music,

Richard

These are talking posts with accompanying anecdotes that could easily be scenes in our life with a score performed by Evans. A painting. A photograph that captures moments in time. A smell that takes you back to your mother's kitchen when you were a child. Waltz For Debby...for me with Audirvana Plus it's an excellent performance. With Amarra, I am quietly telling the waiter to keep it down, bring me three martinis and the check and don't come around until the set ends.

Over the years I've read many reviews, many descriptions, and many comparisons regarding player software and none, and I mean none, have been so vivid and succinct as this IMO. It says volumes without the flourish. Bravo Richard.

Just wondering how many Martinis were involved in this comparative trial ;-)

If Richard's DAC doesn't allow Integer Mode, I think he's listening to Audirvana+ a couple Martinis shy of a load. ;-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If Richard's DAC doesn't allow Integer Mode, I think he's listening to Audirvana+ a couple Martinis shy of a load. ;-)

Jud, the reference to three martinis was not contemporaneous or in anyway connected to/with my comparisons of the two software players and has nothing to do with my assessment of anything I may offer here at CA or anywhere else about anything at anytime.

I was writing a scene for effect as if I was actually at the Village Vanguard where I have attended so many times long ago and not recounting my present/actual assessment. I thought that was patently obvious given the context. From my perspective, as the meaning of one's communication is the response one gets, let me state further:

To be crystal clear, the mistaken impression that my remarks were in any way influenced by alcohol are just that, mistaken, or at best a focus for the sake of humor (pun intended) or something else. Smiley faces aside, I am better off being a good sport and bend, still...

However, with regard to integer mode, I have always acknowledged in my comments when comparing Audirvana Plus and Amarra that my W4S Dac2 is not enabled to render in integer mode and lacking that advantage to (please) regard my assessment when comparing the two with that fact in mind. Given, that disclaimer, I offer my assessment of the two players and welcome different assessments. When I am able to take advantage of employing integer mode and still arrive at the same assessment, you may have to find some other explanation for my subjective appraisal.

Enjoying the music above all,

Richard

Richard, relax, I was just kidding, and I just assume the same applies to Jud!

I am relaxed. My response was not driven by pique. Typically I ignore replies like the ones I just received. This time I choose not to ignore them.

I represent myself as I am; and take responsibility for what I say and mean what I say. Thank you for your considerate response.

While I do not assume for others what they probably mean, I can appreciate and understand the meaning and intention of your assumption.

I believe you know I both respect you and appreciate your fine judgment and generosity in sharing your deep knowledge of excellent music. I redirect my attention to those exchanges.

Best,

Richard

Richard, as for my short input earlier, it was meant exactly as the words state. It was certainly not meant in any negative context. And the humorous post by Musicophile seemed to be just that-humourous. So, not sure where the sensitivity is coming from. From what I have gathered here in my short time, we all look forward to and appreciate your input.

MacBook Pro, 16gb RAM, 500gb storage, McIntosh MA-6900, Paradigm Reference Signature 6 Towers, Cambridge Audio Magic Streamer 6, Mountain Lion, iTunes 11.0.X.

Richard, as for my short input earlier, it was meant exactly as the words state. It was certainly not meant in any negative context. And the humorous post by Musicophile seemed to be just that-humourous. So, not sure where the sensitivity is coming from. From what I have gathered here in my short time, we all look forward to and appreciate your input.

Couldn't agree more.

Jud, the reference to three martinis was not contemporaneous or in anyway connected to/with my comparisons of the two software players and has nothing to do with my assessment of anything I may offer here at CA or anywhere else about anything at anytime.

I was writing a scene for effect as if I was actually at the Village Vanguard where I have attended so many times long ago and not recounting my present/actual assessment. I thought that was patently obvious given the context.

It was.

From my perspective, as the meaning of one's communication is the response one gets, let me state further:

To be crystal clear, the mistaken impression that my remarks were in any way influenced by alcohol are just that, mistaken, or at best a focus for the sake of humor (pun intended) or something else.

Indeed, and I was certainly not intending to imply your reference was to anything other than a wonderful fantasy created by the involvement you felt in the music. To the extent my attempt at humor unintentionally gave such an impression to anyone, or worse, offended you, my sincere apologies.

However, with regard to integer mode, I have always acknowledged in my comments when comparing Audirvana Plus and Amarra that my W4S Dac2 is not enabled to render in integer mode and lacking that advantage to (please) regard my assessment when comparing the two with that fact in mind. Given, that disclaimer, I offer my assessment of the two players and welcome different assessments. When I am able to take advantage of employing integer mode and still arrive at the same assessment, you may have to find some other explanation for my subjective appraisal.

Richard

I won't require any explanation. Your subjective appraisals have been and will continue to be welcome.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I take your meaning to heart and appreciate your caring and thoughtfulness as sincere. I am appreciated by many for my sense of humor and appreciate others for the same.

But for some reason the easy choice to dwell on martinis as humorous was for me a mismatch that I was not able to appreciate or make light of. For that I am personally responsible.

Someone very close to me is in dire straits. But I will not use that as an explanation for my sensitivity or an excuse for my reaction to the responses that some of us chose. That might sound self-serving to say given my reaction. But both can be true.

Perhaps, for those of us who experienced my response as unduly serious given their meaning and intention that was not shared by me, they will give me a pass. I, for one, am going to move on, mix myself a martini (shaken not stirred) and visit my friend Bill (Evans), unless someone has a better offer.

Best,

Richard

It was.

Indeed, and I was certainly not intending to imply your reference was to anything other than a wonderful fantasy created by the involvement you felt in the music. To the extent my attempt at humor unintentionally gave such an impression to anyone, or worse, offended you, my sincere apologies.

I won't require any explanation. Your subjective appraisals have been and will continue to be welcome.

Jud, your responses to me tell me more than I was able (at the time) to discern when I responded to what I obviously missed as humor. For that I beg your pardon. Your sincerity is palpable. Even your tone is manifestly comforting. And I detect a sensitivity on my part that might be explainable because of a close family member in dire straits and this circumstance (perhaps) affected my balance and guided me off-course.

I respect you and appreciate your breath of knowledge and enthusiasm. I had just read your response in comments in AudioStream re JRiver Media Center OSX in response to another commenter. You speak with an authority that is neither overbearing, condescending or presumptuous, rather, as a seeker with highly-valued criteria that pointedly opens the field rather than confines it.

Thank you for letting me vent without taking offense. The rest of what is on my mind is still very much on my mind but the tone of the responses and camaraderie from all those contributing to this thread that I addressed with my reply helped me in other ways to get the rest of me straight.

BTW: I make the best Margaritas in the Galaxy.

Best,

Richard

Does anyone remember what this thread is about? :)

I think it's mine. And I think but cant remember clearly, that i said wandering was great. Well, we certainly did wander.

Now, back to the original intent with an update: the online retailer has informed me that the AudioQuest Cinnimmon USB cable I have on order is backordered till the end of this month. I find that odd but I will accept it and move on, er wait. So, for the moment, since that cable is integral to my set up, which will be the test bed for the subject of this thread (remember the subject?), I will have to reserve relevant comment.

You guys are great by the way.

MacBook Pro, 16gb RAM, 500gb storage, McIntosh MA-6900, Paradigm Reference Signature 6 Towers, Cambridge Audio Magic Streamer 6, Mountain Lion, iTunes 11.0.X.

Does anyone remember what this thread is about? :)

I think it's mine. And I think but cant remember clearly, that i said wandering was great. Well, we certainly did wander.

Now, back to the original intent with an update: the online retailer has informed me that the AudioQuest Cinnimmon USB cable I have on order is backordered till the end of this month. I find that odd but I will accept it and move on, er wait. So, for the moment, since that cable is integral to my set up, which will be the test bed for the subject of this thread (remember the subject?), I will have to reserve relevant comment.

You guys are great by the way.

Joining you back on topic.

I have the Cinnamon's little brother, the Forest, and am very happy with it. Well built and it has no issue with the 3m length between computer and my SPDIF converter.

Looking forward to your feedback on your player shoot out. On my system, Audirvana clearly won, and with the new 1.4.6 version of integer mode it got even better. When I trialled Amarra I was also pretty impressed however.

Luckily you have these options to tweak and adapt your sound to whatever suits your personal taste, and all this for relatively small investment compared to any other gear.

Does anyone remember what this thread is about?

Well, for what it's worth .. Audirvana Plus (which I like very much btw) is the darling of CA right now and much has been discussed about integer mode, etc. It's fantastic yes. It's still about taste. My SOtM converter is integer mode capable so I can easily listen to Audirvana Plus using integer mode and Amarra sans integer mode. Even after the latest A+ update I still think Amarra has a quality of sound that is natural. The SQ is gorgeous and I prefer it. It's about taste and preference. There is no right or wrong, which is why you simply need to listen to all of the players. I still like Fidelia even though it's not talked about anymore. Taste. To each his own.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Thanks for the plug. :)

Thanks but I need longer than .75m for a USB cable.

So, do I have this right: Its possible to install both Amarra and Audivarna Plus in conjunction with iTunes and iTunes and your iPod will function normally (sync, upgrade, etc)? And you can A/B Amarra and Audivarna somehow?

Thanks but I need longer than .75m for a USB cable.

So, do I have this right: Its possible to install both Amarra and Audivarna Plus in conjunction with iTunes and iTunes and your iPod will function normally (sync, upgrade, etc)? And you can A/B Amarra and Audivarna somehow?

Generally, yes.

There is some debate whether you can just switch off one player and switch to the next, it works on my computer between Bitperfect and Audirvana, but some report that you may be better off restarting the computer when switching players, so A/B in this case is a bit more complex.

Regarding iPod sync, if you leave your player software switched off, it works just as with any normal ITunes.

Note that part of the system optimizer that e.g Audirvana activates during playback is a deactivation of the recognition of other external USB devices, including your iPod. Therefore, you need to stop Audrivana, and even stop and restart ITunes before being able to synch again.