Sign in to follow this  
mwheelerk

What Type Of Downloads Do Yo Purchase

Rate this topic

What type of download purchases do you purchase?  

478 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Regardless of audio codec what type of music downloads do you purchase? Pick all that apply.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

I get the highest resolution offered for a particular title. I will get 16/44 titles, if I like the music. There are a good number of titles that are only offered at 16/44.

I don't buy low-res music. I haven't found anything I want in the DSD format yet.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE. ClearAudio Emotion TT.

I'm quite happy to purchase music on iTunes, even if higher resolution is available. Let's face it, a lot of stuff simply isn't good enough to justify more expense.

(I've subsequently upgraded in some cases.)

--

Do facts matter?

I get the highest resolution offered for a particular title. I will get 16/44 titles, if I like the music. There are a good number of titles that are only offered at 16/44.

I don't buy low-res music.

D'accord.

I have a lot of SACDs, bought before DSD computer playback was possible, and a lot after. I have no complains regarding music availability in this format. Of course nor all the music I love is available now and at the nice price. But... hope is the last thing to go.

Roch

If it is available 24/192, but I am upgrading to dsd. But most of the time from HDTracks 24/192.

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Music is music, to be honest, even live music is often "not that good" due to acoustic, equipment or not ideal seats... etc. I only download high resolution (more expensive!) if its a high quality product in terms of recording, mixing, and mastering. But then if a good piece of music is only available in iTunes store, I wouldn't hesitate to download.

Hackintosh 10.8.2 Amarra 2.4

Duet (for headphones) / Duet 2

Cardas breakout for Duet to Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear and WooAudio 3

Duet 2 Sommer balanced to M-Audio BX5 studio monitors

Senn 650 / Sony MDR-SA 5000, CD 3000 / Beyer Dynamic DT 880 / Shure E5

I don't download MP3 or 16/44 because I can usually find the CD for the same price. Then I have an automatic backup copy once I rip it.

If I do find a hi-res download, I usually go for the highest available.

PS

As a side note. Now that I am using more software for playback, I am going to try and play with forced up sampling to see if there is a difference. I know this is not exactly the same as purchasing it originally in a higher res, but worth a shot.

Audirvana Plus on 27" iMac --> Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB --> Oppo HA-1 w/ Cullen Cables Crossover Series power cable--> Beyerdynamic T1 with Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable

........ purchase?

Was that a typo?

No. I specifically meant purchase. I realize there are alternative choices for downloading some may choose to participate in.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

DSD if it's available. If not, will consider 24/192, but I have to admit I've been disappointed by those frequently enough I'm now rather hesitant. Oddly (or not), have been very happy with the quality of most recent CD purchases.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

BTW, thanks to those who recommended the (24/96) Uncle John's Band and American Beauty downloads from HDTracks. Very, very nice.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't buy low-res music, but buy a mix of 16/44.1 and 24-bit music. I only tend to buy 16/44.1 when buying/importing the CD is significantly more expensive.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

So where does everyone buy these HQ downloads from? HD Tracks? I find their selections quite limited, especially with new music.

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) --> Monoprice UBS Cable ----> MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK 192 USB TO COAX CONVERTER --> PS Audio Digital Link III DAC --> Onkyo SR608 Receiver --> KEF 3500SE Speakers.

If something is only available in 16/44.1 I would rather just buy the CD as the price is usually comparable. I also get a hard back-up and nicer liner notes as well. Now, if I buy from Amazon I also get a lo-res version in the cloud.

Only reason to download is if something is only available in some higher resolution or not available in CD. I have to say though that I am very hesitant to pay a premium for hi-res until I have seen some posts that verify that it is a better version that is available in CD. I am finding more and more music I enjoy only being released on MP3 through iTunes which is frustrating.

Call me medium fashioned as I like the tangible of the CD. I used to be old fashioned as I liked vinyl and the large format album cover but I got over that once I heard how good a CD sounds on even a mediocre system.

I buy the best copy of the music I am interested in. If the only copy I can find of a particular album is 256AAC, it's mine. I would prefer it in DSD, but hey, that isn't always going to happen.

Two exceptions:

(1) If the cost between 24/96 and 24/192 is excessive, and I do not have reason to believe the 24/192 copy will be much better than the 24/96, I buy the 24/96.

and / or

(2) If I am unsure if I will like the music, I am more likely to buy the CD or 16/44.1K than anything else. CD's can sound really good, but paying a high premium for exquisite quality upfront for something I may not like or be excited by is not something I will willingly do. Even if I know the technical production to be excellent. I would rather spend the money on more music...

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm quite happy to purchase music on iTunes, even if higher resolution is available. Let's face it, a lot of stuff simply isn't good enough to justify more expense.

(I've subsequently upgraded in some cases.)

+ 1

Every time I have subsequently upgraded, I was dissappointed to hear either no significant difference or found that the higher res master was inferior to the one used in my iTunes purchase.

Stereo is a little low-res for me, I prefer surround!

I will take anything from 16/44 and up, but 24/96 5.1 is the format I download more often.

Blu-rays are often a better deal when it comes to surround.

2L offers a selection of formats on a the blu-ray for the cost of one download (in only one format).

I suppose AIX must do the same as they record both at stage and audience , but I have yet only downloaded albums.

I don't understand the logic behind the pricing, but it is what it is.

Find my blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile” at http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/digipete

ALAC 16/44 - 24/192 stereo/surround on Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt -> MacBook Pro 2,2Ghz Core i7 120GB SSD 16GB RAM

iTunes / Pure Music / Amarra HiFi / Bit Perfect / Audirvana + / Decibel / VLC

-> Firewire -> Weiss AFI-1 DDC -> AES/EBU -> Genelec 3 x 8260A + 2 x 8250A + 7271A sub

DragonFly / iPhone 6 -> Sennheiser Amperior / Etymotic RE-4PT

24/96 has been my preferred resolution (the middle way), but I'm coming to realise lately what a huge catalogue of cd quality music Qobuz has - of near iTunes proportions. I recently downloaded Muddy Waters' "The Folk Singer" in 16/44.1 and I would defy anyone to pick it from a high res. Just goes to show, the quality of the original recording/mastering is the most important factor.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I don't download that much music; I rip almost all my music from CDs that I purchase. But I will from time to time download music from Amazon or iTunes.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I'm fine with 24/96K. It is the highest res I can stream to my stereo system in dlna and tablet. So from a practical standpoint anything higher I'd have to downsample.

I think this resolution is a good sweet spot as far as diminishing returns and vabilty to play it on my stereo or devices.

I do not mess with lossy audio and really wish we would move on from it. 16\44k is the lowest quality audio I will ever deal with.