IGNORED

It all sounds the same.

Mike19

I think talk of sueing each other is probably pushing things a little JCBrum - come on - let's all calm this down a little please. Could you name those whom you feel are causing issues here.? It'd be interesting to know and allow those individuals to defend themselves.

Tim - I agree that Chris should not continue to attach Ashley without him being here to defend himself. Though Mr James is not entirely innocent of that either. Both naughty.

As for those questioning why Tim is still here; because he has enjoyed posting on this site and the discussion that has prevailed in the past. Let's sort this out like adults please. I'd be sorry to see Tim go.

A pretty sorry state of affairs this. It's music - remember, music !!!!

PLEASE - let's get back to newbies coming here for advice on setup and heading straight to one of those simple audio servers, PC or Mac, so more can cross over into computer audio. Let's get back to discussion without attempts and winding each other up or believing only ones facts are correct.

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Hi mpmct - I'm happy to leave your post up for all to see.

I've never once claimed to be an audio expert. Please see the About Us page for my background / credentials. It's always been there in plain sight for the world to read. I am fairly confident in my skills and intellect and feel more than qualified to write about the topics covered here on Computer Audiophile. I encourage dissenting opinions here on CA. In fact that is how we all learn and it can increase our enjoyment of this wonderful hobby.

You are 100% correct that I will not tolerate comments that purposely mischaracterize my statements.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Those about to leave these forum walls ... 2 months ago and prior, throughout the whole of last year, things were cool here, no issues. I don't believe Chris' reviews, his academy, his system builds, nothing has changed.

Strikes me that so many arguments have occurred within these walls without anybody posting any FACT whatsoever, no figures, no nothing, yet we all still continue to argue about certain items.

We're all pretty much guilty of some pretty poor behaviour here.

I'm staying put and will continue to try my best to help newbies coming here for advice.

Right - what to listen to next !

""Do you agree that members here should not be allowed to link to information on another site if Chris thinks it is competitive?"

This is a blatant mischaracterization and couldn't be further from the truth. This is your only warning that these types of comments will not be tolerated."

OK, here you go. From a post this morning in which I was trying to answer a direct request from Peter:

"Peter...

"Ok, that shouldn't be addressed to me. At least I don't want it to. So Tim, could you hand me a link to that file please ?"

I was not addressing you, Peter, I was talking to Chris.

A site not operated by Ashley or his "marketing team," but by a rather nice young man named Darren..."

Do you see the rather obvious hole in that post, between "I was talking to Chris..." and "a site not operated by Ashley..."? That's where you removed the link that Peter specifically asked for. The link to the competitive site. No email. No private message. No explanation. A chunk of my post just disappeared.

Exactly how did I blatantly mischaracterize that?

Ah well...my wife thinks I was spending too much time on the internet anyway.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

Hi BEEMB - Thanks for the comments. I agree we should stop screwing around with this unenjoyable stuff and get on to our wonderful hobby. Turn up some tunes and relax a bit.

Here's the deal -> Everyone has one last shot to post their comments on this topic. No followups, no trying to get the last word, no nonsense. Feel free to dissent or whatever you think is reasonable. This way we can all move on to better topics without anything left in our argumentative tanks.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Tim,

Read over your response to Mike further up the page regarding hearing jitter and not hearing the difference between lossless and uncompressed etc.

Anyone can answer my questions actually, not just Tim, it's just he mentioned it ..

What is it then that made my CD player sound "bright" ? During some tracks I'd find myself turning down the volume slightly as the apparent crispness that was there when the song started disappeared into loud harshness during the chorus.

I guess most of this is / was down to compression of the track itself, but it was far more prominent on my Rotel CD player than on my computer based system now. So - what is that I was hearing ? Errors ? Jitter ?

It's certainly something I can say for sure that I was definately hearing.

It's just going to go on and on.......

Those that don't like the site, or don't like Chris, do not have to post or read here. Let's get back to talking about computers and music as beemb said ................................. those that aren't discussing these things deserve to have their posts deleted as it's spoiling it for everyone else.

iTunes / Media Monkey, PC, Presonus Firebox --> Mackie HR624 mkII Active Monitors, M&K VX7 mkII

Chris, you made a mistake when you barred Ashley, and you should correct it at the earliest opportunity, - like now.

This forum, if it is to be the best, MUST be bigger than any individual, and that means it must be able to accomodate Ashley as well. He is an important person in Hi-Fi, being one of the controlling directors of one of the most important Hi-Fi companies in the world. You may not like what he says, and you should say so, and why, if that is how you feel, but it MUST be done in debate, and with decorum.

You simply cannot deny him the opportunity to post his point of view and at the same time maintain your own credibility. It's just not possible, - sack him and you might as well sack yourself, because no-one will give ever give you respect or credibility again if you simply silence anyone you don't agree with.

Ashley does not post here as a sales exercise, he is genuine in his interest for Hi-Fi, - it's a hobby for him as well as us and he is an excellent convert to digi-audio. AVI marketing is not centered around this forum and that should be obvious to all.

Therefore you should not censor him for his personal opinions, - we all have those, and are entitled to them.

You should re-consider Chris, and not censure anyone simply for their opinions, and who is not grossly offensive in their posts.

Simply tell Ashley you have changed your mind, - you don't have to agree with him.

If any one else agrees with me please post in support.

JCBrum.

1. Forums need to moderated. Unfortunate though that is, conversations happen, that shouldn't.

2. 'When you live in my house, you live by my rules.' - my mother's favourite admonishment and it still seems reasonable to me. PITA that it was, at the time! :)

3. Nothing, but nothing, in the world of audio is worth this much pain.

Tim - stick around, Matt's right.

Chris - keep up the good work. Yours is the most difficult job of all and we should all be grateful for your continued forbearance.

Last thought - Matt, stop drinking Guinness. It is not good for you. It is not even a drink. It is diluted crude oil with something white on top. :) (Real Ale Flame War - Pt1)

Oh okay okay ... very sorry. I do like a Guiness now and then. Some decent real ales though - now you're talking. The sort that after one pint, you can feel it. But it tastes so good, you simply can't resist another one. Or two. Or ... .. . . .

Mmmmmmmmm...

JC - I'm pretty sure Ashley left before he was "banned."

BobH - I cannot allow you to speak that way about Guinness, but we'll have to take it up somewhere else...Art of Sound, perhaps(?) :)...because...

Matt - As The Eagles said, I'm already gone.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

"Chris - why would you remove a link to Roseval's site for example ? I don't understand that..."

Hi BEEMB - It is a very tricky exercise to keep all the well intentioned links and exclude the questionable ones. Trying to monitor all post here gets overwhelming. Some mistakes are definitely made on my part. This may have been one of them. It's nearly impossible for me to tell at a glance if Roseval is really trying to help or just looking to direct readers away from CA over to his site. One one hand it does rub me the wrong way when people use me to increase their audience. One the other hand this may be a case where a few bad apples have ruined it for innocent people like Roseval. Again, it's just really hard to tell.

In the grand scheme of things maybe I'm being a little protective over my baby (CA). Neither I nor Roseval charge money to view our sites so it's not like readers have to chose one or the other because of budgetary constraints.

Thanks for the question BEEMB.

Message received loud and clear, but t'would be better for all concerned if you didn't.

Stick those crappy headphones of yours on, listen to some of that rubbish you call music and chill for a bit. And plan your next assault on my ingrained audio gullibility. ;)

I'm off to bed. :)

Tim,

The forum will be less with your departure, please reconsider.

I'm sad to say, however, that I can't say the same for some of the others, e.g., those who have shown their 'true colours' in this thread. Comparisons to Gestapo, belittling attacks on the site owner, and unwarranted threats of lawsuits would be grounds for immediate and permanent banning, were I in Chris' shoes.

Overall, I strongly support Chris' moderation here (and I wholeheartedly support his right to do with this forum as he deems necessary and appropriate, and that most especially includes limiting 'agendas' of manufacturers).

I do wish that the misunderstanding about the unwritten(?) rule re: competitive links had not contributed to the departure of Roseval, this was unfortunate, in my view.

Hopefully, he will reconsider as well.

enjoy the music,

clay

mpmct said:

"...because Connaker is Gestapo..."

MPMCT,

If you are still here, you might want to take note of Godwin's Law, esp. the corollary about UNWARRANTED reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." References to Godwin's Law often actually refer to a corollary of it which determines that the person who first makes an unwarranted reference to Nazi Germany or Hitler in an argument loses that argument automatically.

clay

... things seem to have got a little overheated. One of the other forums out there has a thread called (for some reason) Texas, where combatative posts are spun off. Unless CA is going to settle down quietly to be a subjective, high-end only site, that might be a useful addition here. It would also prevent poor, bewildered newbies getting their threads all knitted up in the objective vs subjective debate.