IGNORED

iPod dock and Airport Express different volumes

My iPod dock and Airport Express are different volumes when plugged into my integrated amp. How can I make sure they are equal so I don't hurt my speakers when I switch. The dock is usually louder. Is there a way to turn off volume control on the iPod when it is in the dock?

iMac Intel + NAD C372 Integrated Amp + JM Lab Cobalt 806 + Straightwire cables

It's my understanding that most (all) iPod docks do use the line out function of your iPod on the docking connector which does bypass the volume control. Which dock do you use for your iPod?

If you want to balance the volume levels between two devices a bit more, it's possible to put an attenuator in line with the input cable. Rothwell Audio (or maybe Roth Audio - I can't exactly remember the company name) make plug-in attenuators or Kimber make cables with attenuation built in. I'm sure others are available as well ... Google is your friend.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.