IGNORED

Getting SPDIF (toslink) Into Apogee Duet

This weekend I picked up an Apogee Duet at my local Guitar Center. I had been reading about the Duet on this board and a couple of others and decided to try it for myself.

The firewire out of my Macbook sounds awesome with my AIFF files. I'm very pleased with this.

However, I wanted to figure out a way to get my cable TV box or my DVD player to also utilize the Duet's DACs. To do this, I found a small, free application at Rogue Amoeba's web site (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/) called LineIn. This app lets you play any audio input to any audio output and then "Pass Through" the sound. So I ran a toslink cable from my cable TV box (or DVD player) to the input for the Macbook, started LineIn up and selected Internal Input (for input) and Apogee Duet (for output).

The sound coming for the Duet is very nice using this configuration, much better to my ears than the internal DACs in the cable box or DVD player. I'm not sure they're both bit perfect and up to audiophile standards, but for these sources, I'm not really concerned about that.

Now I can have bit-perfect sound from my AIFF files by using the standard Duet/firewire configuration, and I can have a toslink input using the Duet DACS for casual watching or listening.