IGNORED

GNU/Linux and bit-perfect audio?

Is it possible to preserve ones liberty and still obtain bit-perfect audio?

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

Oh yes. But you must like Linux and the hussling around it in general. Nothing wrong with that if you are a Linux lover. Born to be free :-)

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

If you use a distro like Ubuntu, it is very much like working with Win.

In my case, the onboard sound card worked straight out of the box.

Getting my USB DAC to work required a lot of time.

In the end in turned out that the combination of Pulseaudio and ALSA was prohibitive.

After removing Pulse I finally got the USB audio to work.

A lot of Linux media players are build with pop music in mind. No support for the composer tag.

In general the interface design leaves much to be desired for.

I can't hear any difference in sound quality between Linux/MPD and Vista/WMP.

Always fancied a bit of tinkering with Linux ... but never really been brave enough.

I'm guessing it's easy to install. But, how do you create a dual boot so that I can select either Linux or Windows when I log on ? I've got a blank partition ready and waiting to play.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

C'mon BEEMB, why stop at dual booting when you can quad boot!? http://www.computeraudiophile.com/mac-pro-quad-boot-reference-music-server-xp-vista-os-x-linux

Only kidding of course. There are literally tons of sites with instruction on how to dual boot Windows and Linux distributions.

Good ol' Google

Results - 860,000 for dual boot xp ubuntu. (0.45 seconds)

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=dual+boot+xp+ubuntu&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Founder of Audiophile Style

UPDATED: My Audio Systems -> https://audiophile.style/system

Cool, I am lazy - but, well ... I just know that I can post such a question and get a response ! ;-)

And yes, I've seen your quad boot machine. Very cool.

Ubuntu sounds easy - looking now ...

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

DavidJPettifor

Is it possible to preserve ones liberty and still obtain bit-perfect audio?

I certainly hope so, because that's what I'm trying to do.

I run Fedora 10 on my desktop machine. I have a HeadRoom Desktop Headphone Amp (with a USB interface to a built-in DAC) and a pair of Sennheiser 650s. My room stereo has been in boxes for years and I don't expect to use it again. I listen headphone-only now.

I set up a partition specifically to hold music files, which should be big enough for all my existing music and some expansion.

My concession to non-Linux software is EAC - Exact Audio Copy, for which there is no good replacement in Linux. It is still free as in beer. I am running it in Wine with no issues, even the AccurateRip plugin works.

There are a boatload of clients available. Major file formats are supported. Many audio cards have drivers. The Lynx card that is recommended here does not seem to be supported. There are apps which will interface with an iPod, if you are so inclined.

I'm currently just using Totem for playback, but have installed and started to fiddle with MPD (Music Player Daemon) (server) and Sonata (client).

I've also got an on-going metadata project that I've toyed with off and on for a few years, that still isn't useful.

I can't say that I really understand the roles and trade-offs between the various sound architectures - OSS (depreciated?)/JACK/PulseAudio/ALSA. In particular, PulseAudio seems to me like a solution in search of a problem, but maybe I'm just being a Luddite.

I got PulseAudio working with USB, but it was a bit of a struggle. I ended up disabling the motherboard sound device, which I wasn't using anyway. Most of my problems went away at that point.

Backups are trivial - I "rsync" to an external drive (currently USB, soon to be eSATA).

Going the Linux route opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities. For example, the MPD site references a project a guy did to run a music server on his NAS device. There seem to be at least two native applications for the iPod Touch which act as clients for MPD, which seems like it would be a great solution.

This is my first post here. I understand that the main thrust of the site is OS X and Windows, but I am hoping there are a few folks interested in discussing Linux solutions as well.

16/44.1 source material, ripped via EAC to WAV. Linux (Fedora 10) machine -> USB -> Headroom Desktop Headphone Amp (Max DAC, Max module) -> Sennheiser HD650

• 1 month later...