IGNORED

Lynx Two-B vs. Lynx AES16

Funny this should come up, I was just researching this with the L22. What I found was that the AES16 has a better jitter rating with its sinchrolock (sp?). I would also like to know if anyone has found differently or has real world experience. I also found a thread on audiogon (I think) comparing the lynx aes16 to the pacecar reclocker with the conclusion that the pacecar put you into the experience while the lynx let you observe the experience. I'm guessing that the observer had a very high level of playback equipment... Also, the big ben was compared to the internal clock on the aes16-aurora with the conclusion that it improved the sound. So I'm guessing that it depends on how good your system is.

The AES16 supports up to 192 kHz via digital I/O and the LynxTwo-B only supports up to 96 kHz via digital I/O.

Digital I/O

Number / Type

One input and one output

AES/EBU or S/P DIF format, transformer coupled, XLR connectors on L2Sync Cable

Sample Rates

32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz

Sample Rate Conversion

Supports conversion ratios up to 3:1 on digital input, 128 dB dynamic range

Bit Depth

8, 16, 24 or 32 bit file types

Control / Status

Complete subcode and channel status support

On-board Buffer Size

16 Kbytes per input and output stream (mono or stereo)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

What hasn't been said is the LynxTwo has an onboard converter whereas the AES16 is just an interface to use an outboard DAC. One model of the AES16 can actually do sample rate conversions, but nothing else.

I have a LynxTwo-B in my HTPC and AES16 cards in my workstations using Meitner and DAD converters. These are 2 different animals.

Regards,

• 5 months later...

Very intresting discussion - considering what I do have Lynx 2B in my rig now used as a digital out only. How much better do you guys thnk digital out of the 16AES would be. I only care about jtter/Sound Quality as I use a 44.1 DAC and do not care about high res audio