IGNORED

Noob's Proposal For New System - A Request For Assesment & Wisdom

Wow. I like the vintage gear so I am recommending you keep the Audio Gear!!

DAC is fine.

I would replace the computer with a mini mac. (you may not like Apple - so check out the forms on this site) Your homebrew computer, indeed, maybe ok, but what about noise?

I would go to Blue Jeans Cable, or some other high build quality - low price vendor and replace all the cables and interconnects. (please do fall for the "super" cable BS. ~ You want nice quality, not rare earth packed in snake oil)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

My USB recommendation is based upon my satisfaction with the product. You will find an equal number of recommendation based upon satisfaction regarding optic, firewire, lamp cord, what have you.

Remember, I am the guy that recommended good quality LOW COST cables!!

There are many, many DACs out there. I think you have a good one, and I would keep it for now.

PS. I have had the same speakers in my main system for 35 years. (which might have nothing to do with anything)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law